GreenStreet: Mixed-Use Development At 1201 Fannin St.

MontroseNeighborhoodCafe

this has been said time and time again... HP is nothing more than an outdoor mall with an office component, and part of the retail is being converted to for office use for the potential tenant. this is the park shoppes pt. 2 with a HOB and a bowling alley.

incredibley underwhelming and completely disappointing for 3 prime contiguous and subsidized blocks downtown.

To be honest, I don't consider this disappointing. If you look at the entire east side of downtown, it is pretty much one huge public project to bring in more tourist/convention business. Considering Houston struggles to attract private investment for projects like these, the only way this can happen is with help from the public. Ultimately, you have to look at it as a long-term investment for the city. Going to Astros games at MMP is a much more enjoyable experience now (not counting the team's performance...) than it ever has been. I think most people would agree with Rockets games and concerts at Toyota Center. I don't know this as fact, but I would have to think Houston is becoming a more attractive convention destination with all of the growth around GRB, especially with businesses cutting costs in this economy and the overall affordability of Houston.

And then the real payoff comes when the city gets events like the Final Four. If the city can impress hosting a large event like this, more will likely come, and in the long run this means more money for the local businesses.

Ugh.

Perhaps it does not help that the meter maids are on the rampage there. I received a parking ticket last week.

$65 if paid within 45 days. $100 after that.

All this because I was over by less than an hour? I think it was on a Saturday too.

UGH. No thanks.

Isn't street parking free on the weekend?

If we want more retail and better retail DT, we need not to delicate flower but to support what is there so more will come. When you need a shirt go to Macy's or if you need a book go to BAM. If you need cheap shoes, go to the payless.... If you have time hit main street for lunch occasionally, there is several decent places.

However I still think DT still has a so much competition. Its going to be a problem. You have the village, highland village, lower westheimer, river oaks shopping center, etc... all so close to DT. All good shopping areas.... I wonder if other successful DT's like Denver or Seattle have the same compettion of having surrounding neighborhoods with shopping....

Did someone say parking is Free on Saturdays?

It does not say that on their (poor) website.

Can anyone confirm?

I for one would go MUCH more with wife and baby if it were free parking, or at least validated with a purchase.

only after 6pm and remember 2 hr limit

EDIT: i'm talking street meters

for pavilions garage.

Parking Rates:

$2.00 per

Edited by musicman

HHmmmm, well IMO they should REALLY think about at least validating parking at HP.

How much is parking at the Galleria?

I know the answer.

It used to be free, didnt it? But I had someone tell me recently that they paid for garage parking.

• 2 weeks later...
did that place have restaurants and other attractions like House of Blues or a bowling alley? You just named retail stores so I'm just wondering.

Horton Plaza has a movie theater and a decent food court on the upper level. But really no great restaurants or clubs. It is however positioned nicely to the Gas Lamp district.

I lived in the Gas Lamp for five months.

Horton Plaza's a neat assymetrical mall. San Diego's downtown is surely more developed but the finished productl is way too Disney. It lacks a sophistication, it's the sort of thing you pin down when there. Downtown Houston still has more potential. As it is now, downtown Houston still feels more exciting in a raw way. I took the trolley from the Med Center on break, long break, and what I like is that downtown H-town is not Disneyesque or whitebread like the Gas Lamp.

Parking sucks the closer to the center of the city you get, however, there are still lots of places you can park for free that are close to the rail, yeah, it'll cost to ride, but it is cheaper than parking in their garage.

I recently went through the ground floor, and it seems that at least for the ground floor they are filling up the space well.

saw this on their website:

TUTS is thrilled to announce a new partnership with Houston Pavilions. Beginning with LES MISERABLES and continuing with all main stage shows, patrons can begin the evening by valet parking at Houston Pavilions on Fannin for $10; Houston Pavilions will also be accepting TUTS

what I like is that downtown H-town is not Disneyesque or whitebread like the Gas Lamp.

I'm glad Downtown isn't Disneyesque either but what in Houston is? Is Disneyesque ALWAYS BAD?

With regard to the Dueling Piano's, a lot of people view them as cheesy but I LOVE them. I think I may have been most excited to hear the Pavillions would be getting one. Very happy about this.

TUTS is thrilled to announce a new partnership with Houston Pavilions. Beginning with LES MISERABLES and continuing with all main stage shows, patrons can begin the evening by valet parking at Houston Pavilions on Fannin for $10; Houston Pavilions will also be accepting TUTS

This sounds unnecessarily complex.

It might be useful for Outside-The-Loopers who don't know their way around Downtown. I work with some people who live Very Far Out (not in the 60's way, either). They drive in to work every day, then drive back. And are sure that Houston is full of dangerous criminals. I try to tell them about stuff happening on weekends--when it's daylight! Some are interested. Some are not...

Little Update....

Went to HP today .... Guadalajara del Centro for lunch was good... Place was very busy, 20 min wait though..... Forever XXI was full of shoppers as well as BAM. BCBGMAXAZRIA had a couple shoppers as well... Saw people with bags from all three places... Clique Salon had customers but the Unity bank was completely empty. Work was being done inside Yaos and Petes as well as two or three other places.... I wish several other clothing retail shops would open though.

Been to HP several times but today was the best experience.. Plenty of happy people, and over-heard several positive comments from visitors talking to one another... I thought it was great to see so many people with shopping bags around HPs several blocks, including Macy's and the Tipping Points block, even with this extreme heat for June...

To whom thinks this place is "depressing, cold, and lonely", they must mean this fits their personality. HP is far from perfect but it definitely doesn't fit that description.