GreenStreet: Mixed-Use Development At 1201 Fannin St.

MontroseNeighborhoodCafe

very true. johnny dang anyone?

OMG shut up. im all for new retail but i dont see the Pavillions attracting big names. Gap closed the Highland Village store. maybe they should anchor in DOWNTOWN.

i was going to die when i was at the Galleria, heading to the Starbucks on Level 3, steping out of the elavator i saw that theat small store called "Diamond Domani" i belive had a banner saying Johnny Dang!!! please someone tell me im mistaken. :unsure::angry::wacko:

Really? Giving away tax incentives -- and not getting the promised result-- doesn't have anything to do with accountability? When yet another project ends up being a mere shadow of its original plan --and doesn't provide the revenue the city anticipated in return for the all goodies--that's not about municipal accountability? Entertaining even more concessions to the developer, at the council level, for a project that hasn't yet delivered a single dime of sales tax revenue--that's not about accountability?

You must not have lived here long, have a bad memory, or don't pay taxes.

And how do you assume to know what I have or haven't said to a councilmember or the mayor's office regarding city-funded projects?

A mere shadow of of its original plan???? Dial it down a notch already. The only thing that was in the original plan that is not being produced is the residential portion. The focus of the city's attention and assistance was on getting more retail in downtown, not on the residential portion of the project. Plain and simple. And that focus appears to have been the appropriate focus, as we have seen a large unsibsidized residential project go up in the same neighborhood. (One Park Place)

Wow, alot has been talked about since i've been away. Video Screens? Cool. Bring em on!

I don't know what some people's problem is. Houston could really use something that can entice people to come to a certain area. I'm not saying that video screens and lights do it by themselves, but they are attention grabbers. Look at Vegas. I don't think Vegas would be so well known like it is today if it didn't have the attraction of the well-lit up strip.

And i agree with the above statement. The few residential isn't going to make a huge impact on the success of H/P. One Park Place was made available to fall back on. It will probably end up causing spurring up more residential development or conversions. Some of you need to quit trying to hold this city back in yesteryear. Times are changing. For Houston to become a world class like the leaders want, it needs to keep up with the times, not itsef.

Look at the renderings from post #1, then look at what's been built. That would've been a big deal. This is puny.

How much did the City give the developers of HP, again? That was really the only thing that allowed for so little density to have been built here. Not teetering upon the precipice of death, I myself would have rather just patiently let the properties sit as is until market forces dictated that they be properly (i.e. densely) developed.

Totally agree with this post, but again, it is STILL WAY BETTER than water was sitting there before. I too wish the original plan panned out too. :(

Times Square NY, NY..hmmm - how many of you have been to Tokyo?? Do you realize that the entire Times Square Area is just a fraction of the size of the entertainment district in Tokyo? I'm wondering if the people in NYC visit Tokyo and then come home and complain about the small area of Times Square? There is always someplace bigger and better.

I don't think having one tiny little "glamourous", Vegas-like spot will hurt Houston any. Bring on the jumbotrons. Those who object to them have about a trillion other blank, non-flashing walls to look at all over town. With all those other ordinary, non-electric sign fitted buildings everywhere in Houston to keep you happy, I think you nay-sayers can spare one or two (hopefully more) flashy signs for the rest of us to look at when we go DT.

Are jumbotrons tacky? SURE! so what. Just like I said about victory fort up in little d, they are kind of tacky but they DO add an element of excitement. Add a few people into the mix (unlike victory due to that isolated, dead end location) and DT Houston might actually have a little buzz going on after 7pm. Wow, it could change the universe as we know it. Or maybe not. But anyway the lights will make us all feel important for a little while like they did for our buds to the north.

We all know that HP is not going to change Houston into anything that it isn't anytime soon and neither will a bunch of blinking lights. But what's wrong with making the downtown shopping/dining/bowling/entertainment/live music experience a little more special and memorable than going to the 99 cent store, the steak and shake, and the bowlarama out in the burbs? Nothing, that's what!

BTW, those of you spreading that loser mentality crap can point out and cling to all the negatives about HP you want, (future roaming gangs, pain in the butt location, leasing issues, no residential element, whatever city govt concessions had to be made to land HP in the first place, ect) but HP is one of the most special things to happen to DT in decades - as is. Need proof? How many other threads at HAIF made it to 65 pages? HP has already caused a big splash in this city - and it isn't even finished yet.

Edited by Mister X

What will happen to this thread once Pavilions opens and is no longer "Going Up?" Will it disappear or move to another section? I don't think I've ever paid attention to a thread long enough to see what happens to it once the project it's representing is complete.

Anyways, if this place is having trouble with leasing retail, I imagine "retail" is waiting to see if people will actually come before they decide if they want to open a location at Pavilions or not.

Edited by NewMND

What will happen to this thread once Pavilions opens and is no longer "Going Up?" Will it disappear or move to another section? I don't think I've ever paid attention to a thread long enough to see what happens to it once the project it's representing is complete.

This vid might explain it. . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBGIQ7ZuuiU

Look at the renderings from post #1, then look at what's been built. That would've been a big deal. This is puny.

The first rendering in post #1 is of an entirely different project that was envisioned by different players/developers. Has nothing to do with Houston Pavilions. The HP renderings in post #1 show that what is being built is hardly puny compared to what was initially planned. The development that is being built is as pictured in the renderings minus ONLY the residential element (which actually was never all that large anyway).

Sorry but i doubt the East End will ever be a highly desired part of town. That's unless they decide to move the factories in Pasadena and Baytown further east toward Beaumont. Oh and there's also the pollution from the boats ariving at the Port of Houston.

But how did we drift on topics about oil and retail to the east side? This is about Houston Pavilions and retail for downtown.

The first rendering in post #1 is of an entirely different project that was envisioned by different players/developers. Has nothing to do with Houston Pavilions. The HP renderings in post #1 show that what is being built is hardly puny compared to what was initially planned. The development that is being built is as pictured in the renderings minus ONLY the residential element (which actually was never all that large anyway).

OK, if not the first, then one of the middle ones. My point being that this is puny, totally out of scale with what ought to have been built there at some later date, and without public subsidy.

One more time: Be polite to other readers - keep it on topic.

...and I don't know what Tierwester is talking about. Nobody has mentioned the East End (which for his information is not inclusive of Pasadena/Deer Park/La Porte/Baytown) for a good long time on this thread.

Perhaps he meant to post this on another thread?

OK, if not the first, then one of the middle ones. My point being that this is puny, totally out of scale with what ought to have been built there at some later date, and without public subsidy.

Just a thought, but if that is what you meant, maybe that's what you should have said, instead of telling us that it would have been a "big deal" as originally proposed, but is now puny, when, in fact, the only thing missing from the original proposal is a fairly small residential component.

As for your amended "point", in our dreams, of course, downtown Houston will be far too dense for it to make sense to build anything as low-rise as three, or even two stories. But it should be fairly obvious to even the most casual observer, that that day is indeed a few years (decades?) in the future. In the meantime, we still have plenty of surface lots available for more high-rise development.

Just a thought, but if that is what you meant, maybe that's what you should have said, instead of telling us that it would have been a "big deal" as originally proposed, but is now puny, when, in fact, the only thing missing from the original proposal is a fairly small residential component.

As for your amended "point", in our dreams, of course, downtown Houston will be far too dense for it to make sense to build anything as low-rise as three, or even two stories. But it should be fairly obvious to even the most casual observer, that that day is indeed a few years (decades?) in the future. In the meantime, we still have plenty of surface lots available for more high-rise development.

If I haven't made it sufficiently clear yet to the impatient masses, let me be more succinct:

I DON'T CARE HOW LONG IT TAKES TO BUILD DOWNTOWN THE RIGHT WAY.

If it takes a decade, fine. If it takes my lifetime, fine. If it takes longer than that, fine. I really don't give a ____. What the Pavilions represents is the government-sponsored underutilization of land. It is utterly ridiculous, wasteful, and irresponsible.

If I haven't made it sufficiently clear yet to the impatient masses, let me be more succinct:

I DON'T CARE HOW LONG IT TAKES TO BUILD DOWNTOWN THE RIGHT WAY.

If it takes a decade, fine. If it takes my lifetime, fine. If it takes longer than that, fine. I really don't give a ____. What the Pavilions represents is the government-sponsored underutilization of land. It is utterly ridiculous, wasteful, and irresponsible.

Just a question, it you don't care if downtown is built right during your lifetime to where you might not be around to see it, why should you care at all? Especially about a puny developement like H/P.

I'm so glad you don't run this town. Houston would be in serious trouble.

So glad I am one of those individuals who can just be happy and excited for how things are... i am excited about HP... it's better than 3 surface lots... even if it's not going to be great as first thought or have the best tenants to begin w/... it's better than 3 surface lots!! :D

Just a question, it you don't care if downtown is built right during your lifetime to where you might not be around to see it, why should you care at all? Especially about a puny developement like H/P.

I'm so glad you don't run this town. Houston would be in serious trouble.

Because "RIGHT" isn't a destination. "RIGHT" is a journey.

This is why I'm not much of a fan of master planned communities that try to build idealized town centers from scratch which are intended as permanent and that are considered in the moment to be the end-all-be-all of quality real estate. They're inflexible, presumptuous, not at all adaptable to future needs. And on top of it all, they're fashionably boring.

An urban core should not be planned. It should be totally adaptable, dynamic, chaotic. The only ingredient in its recipe ought to be 'opportunity', with eyes set upon the future, and not upon cheap imitations of the past.

Another thing, I find it outright insulting that government would subsidize the development of retail which caters to wealthy people. And on top of that, that the city is so ready and willing to subsidize the development of nice new retail downtown but nothing at all anywhere near where I live. In my view, government ought to equitably distribute its subsidy among neighborhoods and business centers so as to best serve the residents (or not subsidize at all)--instead, they invest disproportionate gobs of capital downtown to best serve visitors. But I don't care about visitors; those that do have serious self esteem issues and are a contributing factor to our city's lack of coolness.

So glad I am one of those individuals who can just be happy and excited for how things are... i am excited about HP... it's better than 3 surface lots... even if it's not going to be great as first thought or have the best tenants to begin w/... it's better than 3 surface lots!! :D

Surface lots are an opportunity to grow. These prime lots have been underdeveloped, and thus have undercut that opportunity.

What would've gone there had the project failed and those lots were still available in today's office market? Just think of all the highrises, all the new employees brought downtown.

Heck, even Bill Denton remarked last year that if they had known things were going to improve this much, they would've dramatically expanded their office component....and things have gotten even better since then. Had the City just left this alone, to die like it should've in the first place, we could've gotten something better.

Another thing, I find it outright insulting that government would subsidize the development of retail which caters to wealthy people. And on top of that, that the city is so ready and willing to subsidize the development of nice new retail downtown but nothing at all anywhere near where I live. In my view, government ought to equitably distribute its subsidy among neighborhoods and business centers so as to best serve the residents (or not subsidize at all)--instead, they invest disproportionate gobs of capital downtown to best serve visitors. But I don't care about visitors; those that do have serious self esteem issues and are a contributing factor to our city's lack of coolness.

Amen. We have plenty of malls. If a downtown mall makes economic sense then there's no need for a subsidy.

Edited by memebag

Because "RIGHT" isn't a destination. "RIGHT" is a journey.

This is why I'm not much of a fan of master planned communities that try to build idealized town centers from scratch which are intended as permanent and that are considered in the moment to be the end-all-be-all of quality real estate. They're inflexible, presumptuous, not at all adaptable to future needs. And on top of it all, they're fashionably boring.

An urban core should not be planned. It should be totally adaptable, dynamic, chaotic. The only ingredient in its recipe ought to be 'opportunity', with eyes set upon the future, and not upon cheap imitations of the past.

I can appreciate your passion on this subject, but I think that its worth considering how similar projects have played out in other cities.

Early on, I saw a lot of comparison between this project and Denver Pavilions. I have not been to that development, but based on what I see from their website it seems to be a reasonably similar project in its scope and tenants. Denver is considered to have built their downtown the right way and has the tourism and convention numbers to back it up.

I would also compare this to the Metreon Center in San Francisco. I happen to think that center is completely underwhelming as a project, but it helped to revitalize SOMA.

I agree that something of greater scope would have been desirable, but I still see this as a positive.

Amen. We have plenty of malls. If a downtown mall makes economic sense then there's no need for s subsidy.

memebag, You really don't know the economic impact a retail mall can do for the CBD? Conventions?

Edited by Subdude
Improper language

Darn you, I was just about to quote this post and provide another link, saying This vid explains it even better. Then I happened to click on your video, only to see that it was the very video I was going to provide.Darn you.

Bow down.

If there is such a huge demand and/or potential for higher end developments along main their is about a dozen other surface lots that can disappear. I guess next time a developer has a 100 million + to invest DT they better ask "The Niche" or "memebag" for advice first.