Six Houston Center At 800 Caroline St.

UrbaNerd

I am reminded of that old SNL skit "Hey, Remember the 80's" with Jim Breuer as goat boy. I think developers and banks are perfectly  fine having high rents and high occupancy rather than risk another episode of "see-through" towers as Houston had in the late 80's. The finance charges of a construction loan cost quite a bit. Even if a building becomes highly profitable eventually, a developer must rightfully exercise caution during that period during which they must pay full interest on their loan but before they have any tenants to pay rents to help them service the loan.

I would be thrilled if a tenant would surprise us and commit to this project so that it can rise sooner rather than later. I also concede that, given that the City of Houston might commit to lease out 800 Bell--removing that potential office space from the market, this project might look a little bit better on spec. However, it does not hurt Crescent to wait a little while to see how things shake out.

If the City cuts a deal to lease out 800 Bell (and we should have word of that in just a few weeks), Crescent does not risk having this office space flooding the market at the same time as 800 Bell and 609 Main. I cannot say if that would be enough for them to proceed on spec, but it might lower the amount of office space to which a tenant would have to commit for this project to move forward.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

^^^ $250mm could very easily encompass a brand new tower.  are you sure cloud?  thats a heck of a lot of dollars just to enhance a streetscape / pedestrian experience.  maybe they will loan some funds over to the FOUR SEASONS.... they are need of a lot of enhancements.....

i saw the renderings.. I'm positive. as for the Four Seasons.. heh, agreed it could use an update. but i don't think the Four Seasons is a part of the Houston Center complex anymore.. i thought they split when the hotel was sold (not sure if it was the Gates sale or when it sold to whoever sold it to Gates)?

7 is what i was told lockmat. yeah, this would be huge for downtown. i wish i got more details than just a few renderings on the slides and some numbers they dropped.

and geez.. the Pappas are taking over!

btw. if no one has caught on yet. there was absolutely no sign of 6 Houston Center in what i saw. looks like they are focusing their efforts on this instead.

I would much prefer a revamp of the Houston Center's street presence over a mini BG Group. While the Buildings in the Houston Center are nice, the whole idea behind it is dated and a way of thinking for street presence that must go the way of the dodo. Edited by Montrose1100
  • Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Didn't the parking lot used to be closed off to vehicles or am I getting sites confused? Thought it was closed off after the "groundbreaking".

No, I don't think they ever stopped parking on the lot for this most-recent iteration of 6 Houston Center. They just put up the fence with the pretty renderings and kept right on leasing out the parking spaces.  I also don't think they ever had a groundbreaking this time around.

• Like 2

No, it has always been open as Houston19514 has stated and there was not a groundbreaking event. Only the fence was lined with leasing wrappers. You may be thinking of HSVPA? There was an event for this tower but that was back during 2007 to 2008. It was more of a social event.

• 1 year later...

In downtown Houston, Goff has been planning to build 6 Houston Center, a proposed 30-story office tower at Walker and Caroline streets. It’s a follow-up to the 5 Houston Center that Crescent completed in 2002. But it’s likely to be a few years before 6 Houston Center gets going, due to the softness in the Houston office market.

http://realtynewsreport.com/2017/01/06/realty-news-reports-legends-of-real-estate-awards-texan-of-the-year-john-goff-crescent-real-estate/

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

HOUSTON – Six Houston Center, a proposed downtown skyscraper, is still on the drawing boards, but it’s too soon to start building the new office tower, says the project’s developer, John Goff, chairman of Fort Worth-based Crescent Real Estate Equities.
“We have no immediate plans (to build the Six Houston tower). We’d need to see a full recovery before we would consider it, “ Goff told Realty News Report in an exclusive interview.

http://realtynewsreport.com/2017/02/01/john-goff-six-houston-center-skyscraper-still-planned-but-groundbreaking-not-expected-soon/

Especially being that Capitol Tower is likely to come out of the ground....which will not only add space to an already saturated market but you've got Shell One Towr that's nearly empty, 700 Louisiana that will be half empty, Continental Center One will have a boat load of space when United leaves for 609 Main. 6 Houston Centeris a pipe dream and nothing more

3 hours ago, wxman said:

Especially being that Capitol Tower is likely to come out of the ground....which will not only add space to an already saturated market but you've got Shell One Towr that's nearly empty, 700 Louisiana that will be half empty, Continental Center One will have a boat load of space when United leaves for 609 Main. 6 Houston Centeris a pipe dream and nothing more

I wonder if it's time to take a cue from our neighbors to the north and consider converting one of these older office buildings into a different use..

Where would interest in this tower rank in comparison to interest in an updated 800 Bell?  I understand Capitol Tower is next in line given the prime Louisiana St location and good tunnel access, but  6 Houston Center would at least link up with those complexes while 800 Bell--even if connected by tunnels--would be quite a distance away.  One also has to wonder if this won't end up getting pushed behind Hines' lot at the former Chronicle building site, as that is also better located than this project.

22 hours ago, wxman said:

To add to your over dramatization, Cullen Center will be a big glut too, and we have 800 Bell patiently awaiting it's demise.

While all of this is true, I don't think we're going to experience a glut for long. We normally don't. Downtown still commands high rent.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, nate4l1f3 said:

I want this built only if it's redesigned!  Hehehehe

I think it will be redesigned and could be larger scale, just will be tabled for awhile.  JPM is looking to invest a lot of money into Houston Center in enhancing the street level with retail and greenspaces.  However his bread and butter is the 20-30 story tower, so we shall see.

• Like 4

22 hours ago, wxman said:

One Shell is not empty. Shell's announcement of moving emptied a little over a third of the building. Their trading operation will stay and you have law offices including Baker Botts headquarters. 

Though currently not in expansion mode, Chevron is in consolidation mode. I would not surprised if they absorbed most of the space in 1600 Smith (One Continental center) as they have already been doing. With pending closures of some of their satellite offices their plans seems to be the two chevron towers and 1600 smith.

This is not to say there is not a glut but let's look at the facts. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, urbanize713 said:

One Shell is not empty. Shell's announcement of moving emptied a little over a third of the building. Their trading operation will stay and you have law offices including Baker Botts headquarters. 

Though currently not in expansion mode, Chevron is in consolidation mode. I would not surprised if they absorbed most of the space in 1600 Smith (One Continental center) as they have already been doing. With pending closures of some of their satellite offices their plans seems to be the two chevron towers and 1600 smith.

This is not to say there is not a glut but let's look at the facts. 

I agree they basically have 3 buildings. 2 Enron buildings and continental center, though they still have offices in 3 Allen, Bellaire, and Briar Park. Once they start doing better, I think their tower will happen.

• Like 1

On 2/10/2017 at 2:59 PM, cloud713 said:

I wonder if it's time to take a cue from our neighbors to the north and consider converting one of these older office buildings into a different use..

Doesn't seem very likely, except for maybe the Exxon Building, which I would love to see converted to residential. 

1) We've already converted most of our truly older buildings to different uses. 

2) Yes, Dallas has also been converting mid-century (and later) buildings to other uses, but the need to convert just isn't present in Houston like it has been in Dallas.  Even in this current period of reduced economic activity in Houston, our downtown office vacancy is a relatively healthy 15% (13.1% for Class A space).  By contrast, even having converting many many buildings to other uses, the much-smaller downtown Dallas still has an office vacancy rate of 22.6% (26.7% for Class A space). 

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 1