Six Houston Center At 800 Caroline St.

UrbaNerd

This design - like One Park Place and Hilton Americas - will grow into the skyline given time to "mature" a bit.  I wish the design was a little different, but its fine enough for a smallish new addition.  More of these will = more residential and more hotel development.

On the 3rd rendering in the slideshow (via Urbannizer's link above), one can see BG Group Place majestically towering above 6HC, with the latter's notch proudly displayed.

But -- what's this?  In this image, BG does not have a notch, it seems to have magically filled in!  

What gives?  Could it be ... notch envy??

Edited by ArchFan
  • Like 3

On the 3rd rendering in the slideshow (via Urbannizer's link above), one can see BG Group Place majestically towering above 6HC, with the latter's notch proudly displayed.

But -- what's this? In this image, BG does not have a notch, it seems to have magically filled in!

What gives? Could it be ... notch envy??

That is hilarious.

I say that a developer should buy the garage on the block bordering BG Group Place to the west and build an even taller wrench. The collection could be called "God's tool set."

I would hope God's tool set would have a little more variety...say a tape measurer or ball peen hammer. Otherwise we would be hit with the cliche "God's wrench set" moniker from jealous metros.

• Like 2

But -- what's this? In this image, BG does not have a notch, it seems to have magically filled in!

What gives? Could it be ... notch envy??

6 Houston Center's notch is bigger than BG Group Place notch. ;-) Edited by houstontexasjack
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We can finally put these naysayers to rest... it was known that this was going to start construction soon whether the cars are in the parking lot or not. Sometimes banners do indicate something.

We can finally put these naysayers to rest... it was known that this was going to start construction soon whether the cars are in the parking lot or not. Sometimes banners do indicate something.

Your unseemly little victory celebration is a tad premature.   Note that your "publicly known to be starting construction in several weeks" has already, by this announcement, turned into a minimum of 5 weeks.  This article tells us nothing more than that they are still marketing the space and trying to find some tenants to sign on.  It's a marketing press release and nothing more.  The headline should have been "Crescent Delays Construction of 6 Houston Center - Still Looking for Tenants".

Sometimes banners and, indeed ground-breakings, don't indicate anything (other than that a building is being marketed). 

To clarify again, 6 Houston Center may well be built.  They may even break ground in 30-60 days.  They may even start construction in that same 30-60 day window.  I hope it happens.  But I wouldn't bet any of my money on it.  So far, all we've seen is marketing and, by their own admission, unsuccessful marketing at that.

Edited by Houston19514

Your unseemly little victory celebration is a tad premature.   Note that your "publicly known to be starting construction in several weeks" has already, by this announcement, turned into a minimum of 5 weeks.  This article tells us nothing more than that they are still marketing the space and trying to find some tenants to sign on.  It's a marketing press release and nothing more.  The headline should have been "Crescent Delays Construction of 6 Houston Center - Still Looking for Tenants".

Sometimes banners and, indeed ground-breakings, don't indicate anything (other than that a building is being marketed). 

To clarify again, 6 Houston Center may well be built.  They may even break ground in 30-60 days.  They may even start construction in that same 30-60 day window.  I hope it happens.  But I wouldn't bet any of my money on it.  So far, all we've seen is marketing and, by their own admission, unsuccessful marketing at that.

Jesus, this isn't a celebration... the celebration was ages ago. Forget all these articles that are posted to the web, it's been known within the "community" that this tower was going to be built, whether JLL got a preleased tenant or not. The financing for this tower is very secure. JLL sees tremendous amount of interest for a new office tower in downtown from companies already in downtown and those who want to enter the CBD market. Even though I work for the same company, it made absolutely no sense to me why that CBRE broker even gave an indication that this was a maybe or a maybe not. As swtsig pointed out, I think there were different motives why he said what he did. Plus, how do you think I obtained these renderings in the first place? There's a lot of "known" information that is never posted to the web because it is confidential in nature... you have to wait to get the okay to post anything. Whether this is overbuilding is up for debate... it's going to have to take an out-of-nowhere recession to prevent this from being built. And in my case, I will bet my entire salary that it's being built... I can understand a level of caution but man...

• Like 2

A couple of observations:

Construction soon will begin on one of Houston’s most talked about office buildings, which will include top-notch amenities.

It was originally slated to break ground this summer. 

These seem like pretty certain remarks and it's not like this is breaking ground late - it's on-time.

“We are in numerous discussion with several companies that are currently in the Central Business District who would like to change locations and some that are looking to get into the CBD,” Pitchford said.

I've been wondering lately, what percentage of tenants moving into these new downtown towers actually came from outside downtown? And what percentage of tenants back-filling the buildings their leaving are coming from outside of downtown?

• Like 1

And in my case, I will bet my entire salary that it's being built...

Triton puts his reputation (and salary!) on the line that it will be built. This is respectable. If someone wants to belittle his "victory celebration," they should either go on record that it won't be built, or not say anything.

• Like 2

Triton puts his reputation (and salary!) on the line that it will be built. This is respectable. If someone wants to belittle his "victory celebration," they should either go on record that it won't be built, or not say anything.

Another pointless trolling post by H-town Man. The world is not all black and white; either-or. One can believe caution is in order regarding expectations for a new building without being required to declare that it absolutely will not be built.

What are you people even arguing about?

At the moment, everything suggests that this building will be built. 

There is, of course, no certainty until it actually happens, but right now things look good.

This isn't a building to get overly emotional about; it's decent infill and it eliminates a currently vacant lot, but it's not exactly a, for lack of a better term, game changer. It won't meaningfully change downtown by itself; it's not an important piece o architecture. It's just one piece in a generally positive larger puzzle.

Another pointless trolling post by H-town Man. The world is not all black and white; either-or. One can believe caution is in order regarding expectations for a new building without being required to declare that it absolutely will not be built.

My point is, don't attack somebody for sticking their neck out. Don't throw sucker punches and then cover yourself with "it may well be built." You can offer a friendly word of caution and that's fine, but it takes more courage to make a declarative statement than to just sit back and condescend to everyone.

• Like 2

I've been wondering lately, what percentage of tenants moving into these new downtown towers actually came from outside downtown? And what percentage of tenants back-filling the buildings their leaving are coming from outside of downtown?

I'm guessing there's a certain amount of relocation and a certain amount of expansion. Foster Wheeler's also in the market for an extra 325,000 sf somewhere.

And if Rick Perry's bribes marketing are successful, maybe there will be a California transplant or two in downtown Houston.

• 2 weeks later...

www.bisnow.com/commercial-real-estate/houston/2503-breaking-news-halberdier-takes-on-springwoods/

6 Houston Center (rendered) will be a Class-A office building on the east side of Houston's CBD, where occupancy is more than 96%. Designed by HKS Architects, Balfour Beatty Construction should break ground this fall

Edited by DrLan34
  • Like 1

www.bisnow.com/commercial-real-estate/houston/2503-breaking-news-halberdier-takes-on-springwoods/

6 Houston Center (rendered) will be a Class-A office building on the east side of Houston's CBD, where occupancy is more than 96%. Designed by HKS Architects, Balfour Beatty Construction should break ground this fall

Am I reading this wrong..? How can it be possible.