Six Houston Center At 800 Caroline St.

UrbaNerd

http://www.chron.com/business/retail/article/Brookfield-closes-on-mega-downtown-deal-12399379.php

Brookfield's acquisition of the Houston Center creates an opportunity to control the spigot on the introduction of some of the proposed office space into Downtown.  I suspect it not only keeps this project in carbon freeze,  but turns it into Jabba the Hutt's coffee table for the foreseeable future.  I'm hopeful Brookfield's acquisition could result in a nice redesign of the Houston Center similar to what we've seen from the Allen Center actually coming to fruition.

On another note, I wonder if the long-dormant 5 Allen Center might take priority over 6 Houston Center in the longer term given the opportunity for superior views and higher tenant prices that might come out of an eventual 5 Allen Center.  

Edit:  In giving the article a closer read, it appears 5 HC was not part of the deal.  I therefore am not sure if the proposed 6 HC site would have been part of the deal.

Edited by houstontexasjack
  • Like 2

Between this, Capitol Tower, 609 Main and the other tower Hines just built (the one with the slanted roof), we could have put up a new super-tall. Why they keep building these crappy 30-something story buildings is beyond me. Clearly somebody thinks there's room for more office space and they're being leased or they wouldn't come out of the ground. Is there an unwritten law that nothing over 40 something stories can be built downtown any longer? It's kind of annoying...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wxman said:

Between this, Capitol Tower, 609 Main and the other tower Hines just built (the one with the slanted roof), we could have put up a new super-tall. Why they keep building these crappy 30-something story buildings is beyond me. Clearly somebody thinks there's room for more office space and they're being leased or they wouldn't come out of the ground. Is there an unwritten law that nothing over 40 something stories can be built downtown any longer? It's kind of annoying...

Not that I don't wish we would build another supertall, but major players are not only focused on building height, but quality, sustainability and return for investors.  Especially not Skanska and Hines.  We should not criticize these developers that continue to provide our city with A+ assets, even though they are not 1000+ feet tall.  Capitol Tower and 609 Main were great additions to our skyline.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, wxman said:

As I understand it, construction costs above a certain height increase exponentially.  That's why it's generally cheaper to build two 40-story towers rather than one 80-story tower despite the extra land costs. Additionally, one 80-story tower will have to devote more space out of potential floor plates to elevators to move folks between floors.  The good news is that, as empty lots become less available Downtown, the incentives to build taller should start to arise as land costs rise and increased desirability of building in dense Downtown makes higher construction costs more palatable.

• Like 4

On 12/5/2017 at 3:02 PM, wxman said:

Not to be critical but this is factually incorrect. 

BG Place 2011 46 Stories

609 Main 2017 48 Stories. 

The truer statement would be nothing over 50 Stories has been built in some time.

Some, many years ago, would have said we would never see residential towers be built in downtown again.... By my count we have 5 new towers, one conversion, and 2-3 in the pipeline. The super-tall will come its just a matter of when. Who knows maybe Hines has one last gift for us on the chronicle site?

Edited by urbanize713
  • Like 5

• 2 years later...
48 minutes ago, Urbannizer said:

Hmmm indeed. This looks a lot better than the old design. Looks ready to cannibalize some older, larger buildings with tenants who will downsize to smaller, newer spaces. Also looks like some nice GFR just waiting for the next food hall.

We can date this rendering fairly well based on the fact that the new BoA building is about halfway up and the Market Square Tower garage is under construction. Without looking at those threads, I am guessing some time in 2018 for the source photo, although the rendering could have been done more recently.

Edited by H-Town Man
  • Like 7

2 hours ago, Urbannizer said:

Now it appears to copy BoA tower (the new one / Capitol Tower)... instead of the mini-hines version it once was.

I don't understand why they are spending money on new designs if they aren't willing to build it. An anchor tenant may want to see some action before they can trust the project kicks off.

• Like 2

I like this new design much more than the older one. Has a more classic feel, and kinda feels like a natural evolution or contemporary update of its sister towers in the original Houston Center. The previous design was just too trendy and not in a good way. That era in Houston for skyscrapers from 2000-2010 was very big into, what I would call "the bite" or a portion of the building that looked like someone bit into it and then replaced that section with a weird loggia or wrap around porch. Its just an awkward look on a building that high. This updated version will age a lot better than the previous design.

Edited by Luminare
  • Like 2

One trend I'm happy to see growing is the use of landscaping on elevated portions of the building, whether it be on the roof of a mid rise building or on the walls of a taller one.  I lived in Singapore for a couple of years and "green" buildings were everywhere.

• Like 5

18 hours ago, zaphod said:

Realistically, what are the chances of this happening?

Anyways, I also really like the design. It is more classic, sort of like the current crop of new towers going up in Chicago.

The design was done in the last year or so and looks more serious than the concept renderings we sometimes see. It shows the landowner (I think Crescent Real Estate) is looking seriously at building here and may be looking for an anchor tenant to sign. Whether they can find one may depend on oil prices, right now lukewarm at $63/bbl but getting warmer with the Iran conflict and progress towards a China trade deal.

• Like 2

They do have the podium all ready to build upon.

On 1/8/2020 at 7:38 PM, houstontexasjack said:

I’d think Block 43 would get built before this site based on its more desirable location. Not sure if the current developer has the wherewithal to see it through, however.

• Like 1