The Langley: Residential High-Rise At 1717 Bissonnet St.

musicman

• 3 weeks later...

Really I dont get why they dont take advange of the DT residential tax breaks being offered ..why are they so obessed with putiing it in a area they cleary not wanted .. strange

Aren't the DT tax breaks there because developers aren't stumbling over themselves to build residential downtown? I would guess the obsession with putting it in on Bissonnet is that there's higher demand in the area and they can make more money. Nothing strange about it.

Aren't the DT tax breaks there because developers aren't stumbling over themselves to build residential downtown? I would guess the obsession with putting it in on Bissonnet is that there's higher demand in the area and they can make more money. Nothing strange about it.

.. most of the resdients in DT houston are at or just below their max occupy rate.. in fact is considered under served.. there is a chart on DT houston page which shows the occupy rate of each residental units

• Like 1

I'm sure they have their reasons, but you make it sound like its easy to just buy up land and build residential DT. The area near Bissonet is far my attractive for residential than DT. It's established as a residential area whereas DT has many years before it becomes established for residents 24 hrs and not just workers for 9 hrs/day.

With bombs blasting right over his head and snipers hiding under every other rock in the desert, THAT is what he's worried about? Wow. People must REALLY hate this tower. Sounds like someone needs to get his priorities in order.

Can't wait to see it rise.

Why don't the people who are worried about Ashby actually use their energy to get Zoning on the ballots again.  Zoning has been voted down multiple time. It's not the developers fault.

With bombs blasting right over his head and snipers hiding under every other rock in the desert, THAT is what he's worried about? Wow. People must REALLY hate this tower. Sounds like someone needs to get his priorities in order.

Can't wait to see it rise.

Where's the thumbs down option when you need it?

Really? You're going to lecture an active soldier on priorities? 

What's even more pathetic is stalking specific posters on a consistent basis. Get a life already, swtig. Anyway, I thought you were going to put me on your ignore list. 

It's amazing to me how CAPITAL LETTERS are so offensive to the anal compulsive. Relax, they are only letters and their destructive power is minimal when you THINK about it.  ;)

It just seems strange to me that someone who is supposedly working on the other side of the world (soldier or whatever) is worried about a little tower going up in some freaky part of Houston. Thats all. No need for panty wadding. Just because he wears a uniform doesn't give his opinions and actions some special immunity from internet criticism or automatically make them better than anyone else's.  And neither do posters (who shall remain nameless) that show up with half-baked, mostly ill-informed scuttlebutt from unreliable sources about various projects going up in Houston.

I've received enough 'thumbs up' at HAIF that I think I can afford a 'thumbs down' every once in a while. You can't please everyone, so why try. True, there is no 'thumbs down' anymore, and while that is a huge travesty of injustice, the ignore list is a wonderful option. It's like sticking your head in the sand. It can only make life seem safer and easier and it would protect you from reading things that could hurt your feelings on the big bad internet. SNARKY 'NUF?

Not to rub your nose in it, but check out the latest user ratings...

Mr. X =146

swtig = 126

I win.

Edited by Mister X

I'm sorry for being off-topic from the subject of the thread with this but I feel it needs to be said:

Stop it. Seriously. Both of you. If you want to fight, do it elsewhere. This bickering between you two is getting old and getting annoying. It's getting in the way of everyone else's discussions on the actual topics, and seriously needs to stop.

So please, I ask you as a friend: knock it the heck off.

• Like 2

Sorry Golyadkin, didn't mean to offend you. It was meant to be entertaining. At any rate, I wouldn't take it too seriously. It's just the internet. You can't win 'em all.

Besides, isn't 'bickering' what the Ashby high rise and this thread is all about? At least my comments are not EXCLUSIVELY personal like kinkaid's and swtig's, I mean, at least there was SOME Ashby stuff in it - if that helps.

This is moving right along.  Plans are at 100% Construction for the 21-story high rise apartment building (a total of 232 units).  This project is a Joint Venture between Pepper-Lawson and The Hunt Companies in which Pepper-Lawson is the managing party.  Also the budget is just shy of 70 million.  Anticipated start date is early July.

• Like 4

There is a 24 hour security guard now living on the site in a small trailer.  Behind a locked gate.  It is all very bizarre, but I'm looking forward to a chron/houstonpress profile on the guy sometime soon.....

With the tenants gone (and their cashflow) and the loan secured, project timing would seem to be critical on this one going forward.  The economic decision of letting the vacant buildings sit there for another four months without any activity is curious.  The market is booming now and new competitors seems to be moving quicker (see Hanover)

• Like 1

Residents in the area have decided to sue the developer.

http://blog.chron.com/primeproperty/2013/05/ashby-high-rise-developer-gets-sued/

From the article above...

They say the building would stand 260 feet above grade, “casting an enormous shadow over dozens of surrounding homes and blocking sun and rain from reaching the yards of neighboring properties.” The building would “make it impossible for certain of the plaintiffs to maintain their gardens,” as well as affect the privacy of the homeowners.

From the article above...

Their accusations are laughable.  Do they not realize what happens in a large city when demand is high for more living options?  The comments section of the article pretty much sums up my thoughts on all of this.

They say the building would stand 260 feet above grade, “casting an enormous shadow over dozens of surrounding homes and blocking sun and rain from reaching the yards of neighboring properties.” The building would “make it impossible for certain of the plaintiffs to maintain their gardens,” as well as affect the privacy of the homeowners.

Sounds like s3mh is their lawyer.    :)

http://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/24342-construction-at-11-12th-and-studemont/page-3

Their accusations are laughable.  Do they not realize what happens in a large city when demand is high for more living options?  The comments section of the article pretty much sums up my thoughts on all of this.

Agreed.  I'm not a litigator, but this claim seems like it should be mighty close to a Rule 11 sanction on the attorney.