The Langley: Residential High-Rise At 1717 Bissonnet St.

musicman

Htown has a good point here. They fought the battle and lost. It's time for the signs to come down. 

But they haven't lost.  The case was not dismissed and goes to jury trial in November.  Figure in appeals etc, and the site could remain vacant for a long time yet. 

Squeaky wheels, grease..

I just dont understand, with Downtown hading out tax breaks like crazy to get places like this built, and other more scenic areas in Houston begging for development why are the  developers dead set on pushing this one.. A place like this would be great in the Herman park area...Can someone tell me why they are fighting so hard for a area that does not even want them there.

They probably just don't want to lose the investment they already made, although perhaps they could flip it as-is and still come out ahead.

True but even thou we all know that those who oppose them will lose in the end.. How long is does  this project get delayed in the process? months, years ?.. In the end they still lose millions in lawyer fee.s and various other costs ..

But they haven't lost.  The case was not dismissed and goes to jury trial in November.  Figure in appeals etc, and the site could remain vacant for a long time yet. 

Squeaky wheels, grease..

But what do the signs add to the lawsuit?  the signs on the fences along Greenbriar are a great example.  they are all faded and almost completely covered by the vines on the fences.  if your plastic sign has disintegrated and the vegetation has covered it up, then it's been up too long.  

• Like 2

Perhaps, the developers think that yes, at first it will be hated, but like many things in life, the community will get used to it. Then they can gobble up other tracts of land in the area and in a few years, or a decade or so, other projects similar to this will rise. The more that rise, the less opposition it will have. Just a thought. And yes, with so much opposition, I also wonder why the hard push to get this built when so much of the inner loop is ripe for highrise development. I live in the Copperfield area, and our neighborhoods are roughly 25yrs old. Single or double storey only. I would not want something like this in my neighborhood, personally. On the other hand, I see vacant plots of land STILL on Eldridge and Hwy 6. I would gladly welcome a highrise in those areas.

Then they can gobble up other tracts of land in the area and in a few years, or a decade or so, other projects similar to this will rise. The more that rise, the less opposition it will have.

A boy can dream.

This is the perfect location for a tower to help fill the skyline gap.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Houstonians for Responsible Growth, a nonprofit that represents developers, filed an amicus curiae brief in anticipation of Monday’s trial over the lawsuit filed against the developers of the proposed 21-story high-rise at 1717 Bissonnet, which is widely known as the Ashby High-rise.

It states that the lawsuit attempting to stop the project by the neighborhood group is a “tool” to push zoning on a property that is slated for a lawful use. ”The control of the city’s development should not be shifted from the government to unelected citizens by way of nuisance actions, and the Court should reject such an attempt,” the brief states.

Full Article: http://blog.chron.com/primeproperty/2013/11/brief-court-should-reject-neighborhoods-attempt-to-stop-ashby-high-rise-developers/?cmpid=staffblogshcat

• 3 weeks later...

The Chron has been reporting on the trial. Today in court, an appraiser said the tower would lower neighborhood home values. Isn't that irrelevant to whether this is legal? To me, the Ashby attorneys should state that and not even bother arguing that point.

Or am I wrong?

http://blog.chron.com/primeproperty/2013/12/appraiser-testifies-ashby-high-rise-will-hurt-home-values/

• Like 1

This is an upscale highrise. As one person in the Chron comments said, this isn't a greyhound bus station. This may hurt property values for a short while because of the simple fact that you now have a giant highrise looking into your backyard; however, we're talking about the Rice area here. Those values will surely go back up. Look at the highrises that were built near River Oaks in the 70s and 80s. Pretty sure property values there are ever increasing...

This is an upscale highrise. As one person in the Chron comments said, this isn't a greyhound bus station. This may hurt property values for a short while because of the simple fact that you now have a giant highrise looking into your backyard; however, we're talking about the Rice area here. Those values will surely go back up. Look at the highrises that were built near River Oaks in the 70s and 80s. Pretty sure property values there are ever increasing...

But is the question of it increasing or decreasing the values even relevant to the legality of them being able to build?

But is the question of it increasing or decreasing the values even relevant to the legality of them being able to build?

Nope.

The nimbys would not have a case if they cant prove it is illegal for Ashby to build a highrise there, which it is not.

The issues of properties values going down, the nimbys not liking that this is being built, the possibility that traffic might increase, etc, are all irrelevant.

The only reason they have taken Ashby to court is to discourage them from building by putting up such a huge fight, whining and bitching and dragging things out, using their rich politician friends to create bogus red tape and to cost the developers an untold fortune in legal fees in hopes the developers will decide to just cut their losses and give up.

Which aint gonna happen.

• Like 1

The Chron has been reporting on the trial. Today in court, an appraiser said the tower would lower neighborhood home values. Isn't that irrelevant to whether this is legal? To me, the Ashby attorneys should state that and not even bother arguing that point.

Or am I wrong?

http://blog.chron.com/primeproperty/2013/12/appraiser-testifies-ashby-high-rise-will-hurt-home-values/

Let's think about this logic....if a person, who lives in a nearby house and plans to stay there for  while wouldn't lower property values be a blessing??

The whole tax system in Texas is largely based on property taxes of your value of property. If your 1 million dollar home is now valued at $700k you will be paying LESS in taxes. In Texas you choose how much taxes you want to pay as per your residence selection.

Like I said, if your plan is to stay and live in one of the most desirable places in the city then you are savings 10s if not 100s of thousands over a X year period by having this quality development near your resident (according to their argument)

Of course, I actually think this project will raise their property values but just playing devil's advocate here.

the people who live in that area want it to be exclusive- they want the property value high to keep out those who are not like them, and they don't care about paying higher taxes on the property. It's just money to them.

( i have a client who lives in the noontime shadow of AHR on the other side of Bissonnett.... that is his attitude)

the people who live in that area want it to be exclusive- they want the property value high to keep out those who are not like them, and they don't care about paying higher taxes on the property. It's just money to them.

( i have a client who lives in the noontime shadow of AHR on the other side of Bissonnett.... that is his attitude)

Hilariously misinformed statement is hilarious.

Question, which apartment community do you think will have higher rents, The Maryland Manor apartments that were torn down or the "luxury" high rise planned to replace it?

But hey, you have a client...

• Like 1

Hilariously misinformed statement is hilarious.

Question, which apartment community do you think will have higher rents, The Maryland Manor apartments that were torn down or the "luxury" high rise planned to replace it?

But hey, you have a client...

I suspect the local residents weren't particularly fond of Maryland Manor, either.

Some really good commentary of the Ashby trial from Erin Mulvaney and Nancy from the Chronicle over the past few days. Start from the bottom of this post to read them in order.

#AshbyTrial halted until Monday as structural engineers from both sides analyze new evidence from defense.

1. Appraiser: If this owner wasn't building the high-rise in that spot, it would be someone else. The demand is too high. #AshbyTrial

2. Appraiser on stand to analyze the claims made during residents' expert testimony #AshbyTrial

3. Resident testifies he would like Ashby high-rise in his neighborhood. Has brokered a deal in neighborhood and knows developers #AshbyTrial

4. Architect Britten Perkins of EDI International takes the stand. Says he's designed highrises on smaller parcels than Ashby site #AshbyTrial

5. Keep up with the #AshbyTrial this afternoon with @nsarnoff Jury hearing from residents in favor of the project

6. Resident has lived in highrises in the past and says being able to walk to a restaurant is positive. #AshbyTrial

7. Resident's ex-husband is related to the developers. He's a nephew of one and cousin of the other. #AshbyTrial

8. Resident says controversy has been "very troubling" and notifications from protesters have had a "significantly negative edge." #AshbyTrial

9. Boulevard Oaks resident who favors the project takes the stand. She lives about a block from the site. #AshbyTrial

10. Lighting expert says most parking garages have more "foot candles" (light measurement) than ashby garage will #AshbyTrial

11. Bos brought a light fixture into the courtroom and is now demonstrating how it will shine light in the garage #AshbyTrial

12. Defense calls lighting expert John Bos #AshbyTrial

13. Developers wouldn't have had to do traffic anal w/out restaurant. Steitle: "They almost didn't have to do one to begin with." #AshbyTrial

14. We're back with live updates from the #AshbyTrial. Testimony continues this afternoon from developer's traffic expert David Steitle.

15. Ashby developer says there will be more green space and distance from curb than older apt complex previously on that site #AshbyTrial

16. Houstonian left me a message to say he would love to live in the area around Ashby high-rise but cannot afford house #AshbyTrial

17. Engineer: If I had known from the beginning it would go to the lawsuit and we needed full blown data, I would have done it. #AshbyTrial

18. Engineers watch carefully over construction site to avoid errors that could cause foundation problems, expert says #AshbyTrial

19. The battle of experts is in full swing at #AshbyTrial Engineer testifies the tower will not affect the structure of residents' homes

20. Developer says some of his earliest memories are of neighborhood near Rice University where he grew up. it's important to him #AshbyTrial

21. Kevin Kirton, one of the developers, called to the stand #AshbyTrial

22. Festa: Austin, as part of larger trend, is revamping its zoning code to become less restrictive as it becomes more dense #AshbyTrial

23. Festa: People in the planning community saying lets make land use more inclusive, less restrictive. #AshbyTrial

24. Festa: The secret Houston has is that is does have some land regulations, such as deed restrictions, private covenants #AshbyTrial

25. Festa: Houston is famous for not being a zoned city #AshbyTrial Voters turned down zoning several times

26. Law professor Matthew Festa who specializes in land use issues takes the stand #AshbyTrial

27. Lawyers arguing to judge whether damages can be claimed before building is constructed #AshbyTrial

28. Defense attorney suggests some houses left out of appraiser's analysis, including http://on.trulia.com/1dQpE3P  #AshbyTrial He says not comparable

29. Att. says certain homes not included to compare home values to affected high-rise site. Expert says these are not comparable #ashbytrial

30. Defense attorney claims appraiser didn't take into account other developments in his home value estimate http://bit.ly/1cWZ3gG  #AshbyTrial

31. On cross, defense attorney suggests residents' protests, press coverage had an effect on property values #AshbyTrial Appraiser disagrees.

32. Signs coming up again in #AshbyTrial . Here's what they look like in case you haven't been around for last 7 yrs: http://bit.ly/18i4M11 

33. On cross, attorney asks whether hypothetical info used for decrease in home values? Of course, the tower hasn't been built. #AshbyTrial

34. Expert disagreed that yellow and black signs would cause any property damage #AshbyTrial

35. Homes around site of high-rise now appear to be valued b/n about $520,000 to $2.7 million based on appraiser's chart #AshbyTrial

36. It has been suggested that the big yellow & black Tower of Traffic signs in neighborhood could lead to lower property values #AshbyTrial

37. Appraiser says the decrease in value is a minimum estimate bc market puts into play that the tower may not be built #AshbyTrial

38. Home values around Ashby high-rise would decrease b/n 12 to 19 percent and townhomes 16 percent. #AshbyTrial

39. The Chronicle's @erinmulvaney is tweeting updates from the #ashbytrial over contentious Rice-area high-rise project

40. Correction: That's 22 percent on average. #AshbyTrial

41. Appraiser in #AshbyTrial says that home values near high-rise will sink 22 percent compared to unaffected homes, or $46 a foot

42. Appraiser on stand for residents in #AshbyTrial to determine high-rise effect on property values of surrounding homes.

• Like 4