The Langley: Residential High-Rise At 1717 Bissonnet St.

musicman

one of my clients lives directly in the noontime shadow of the Ashby high rise. I suggested he buy the land it's going to be built on if he wants to stop the project.

Probably a little late for that now. At least he'll it's noon when the house passes into the shade.

one of my clients lives directly in the noontime shadow of the Ashby high rise. I suggested he buy the land it's going to be built on if he wants to stop the project.

Sounds like a home run! He'll save a ton on air conditioning.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Nothing at all "funny" about that...

I'd be willing to bet that you wouldn't like it very much if bricks were flying over your head, through your fence or into your house...or if they put a 21 story residential tower 5 feet behind your back fence either, for that matter.

Not cool.

I thought it is was funny. Problem?

• Like 2

I'd be willing to bet that you wouldn't like it very much if bricks were flying over your head, through your fence or into your house...or if they put a 21 story residential tower 5 feet behind your back fence either, for that matter.

Not cool.

Don't you watch fail videos? I can see this being on "Fail Vids May 2013."

But anyway, no of course I wouldn't. I'm laughing at the expensive of other people's misery. Isn't that the whole premise of America's Funniest Home Videos? Pretty sure these people are going to sue and probably get a much nicer fence. These construction workers were careless though... what if this guy's kids or animals were down there. Yea, I'd be pissed and probably sue.

So, you think that most of the time there's a demolition, said demolition harms other people's property?

This is actually quite rare. As a homeowner, I have empathy with this guy. I wouldn't be happy about this. Before the fence came down, debris was literally hitting his house and the guys swinging the sledgehammers didn't seem to notice... and that was with a camera filming them.

If I was this guy, I'd be tempted to gather up all the brick and mortar scraps and deliver them to the developers yard over in West U.

• Like 1

So, you think that most of the time there's a demolition, said demolition harms other people's property?

This is actually quite rare. As a homeowner, I have empathy with this guy. I wouldn't be happy about this. Before the fence came down, debris was literally hitting his house and the guys swinging the sledgehammers didn't seem to notice... and that was with a camera filming them.

If I was this guy, I'd be tempted to gather up all the brick and mortar scraps and deliver them to the developers yard over in West U.

Depending on proximity, I'd say this is indeed a fairly common occurrence.  In Houston it isn't much of a problem since usually everything is so spread out, but in other cities I'd imagine it's quite common for demolition related activities to cause minor harm to a direct neighbor. 

The guy certainly should be compensated though.

Given the proximity of the demo'd wall to the rotten fence, this is not rare at all. Considering that the homeowner will now get his rotten fence replaced free of charge, I can think of no reason for sympathy. He just won.

I look forward to making fun of these crybabies for the next year or so, however. 

• Like 1

Not cool.

Exaggerate much? Bricks flying overhead? Really?

Not only is the video funny...as well as the hideous accent of the homeowner...but so is your post expressing alarm.

• Like 2

Don't you watch fail videos? I can see this being on "Fail Vids May 2013."

But anyway, no of course I wouldn't. I'm laughing at the expensive of other people's misery. Isn't that the whole premise of America's Funniest Home Videos? Pretty sure these people are going to sue and probably get a much nicer fence. These construction workers were careless though... what if this guy's kids or animals were down there. Yea, I'd be pissed and probably sue.

Most "fail" videos I've seen (and really the only ones I truly consider "funny") are the kind where someone does something stupid to themselves, and there's little or no actual harm done for the most part. This is different...but thanks for clearing that up and addressing my point. I hope you're right about these people getting compensated. I would be seriously pissed about this, too. It shouldn't have to happen to you (or anyone) personally to piss you off...know what I mean?

Edited by por favor gracias
  • Like 1

Exaggerate much? Bricks flying overhead? Really?

Not only is the video funny...as well as the hideous accent of the homeowner...but so is your post expressing alarm.

From the article:

"The bricks that came flying over my fence landed only six inches away from my gas meter."

If anyone's exaggerating, you are about that accent. It's not THAT bad is it?

Edited by por favor gracias

It would be funny if someone checked the survey and discovered the fence was actually on the developer's property. I'm surprised, though, that the developer isn't more careful given the high level of opposition from the neighbors. It is a sure bet they'll be watching like a hawk for any mistakes.

• Like 3

From the article:

"The bricks that came flying over my fence landed only six inches away from my gas meter."

If anyone's exaggerating, you are about that accent. It's not THAT bad is it?

Just inches aways from potentially being even funnier.

Edited by xsatyr

I think the city would be very concerned about this, or at least centerpoint.

How is it possible that he is standing so close to power lines? That can't be up to code. Also, it appears that there are trees, or other things very close to the power lines growing from this guys backyard. Someone should notify the city so they can go take care of this issue, especially since access will be made easy once they complete demolition.

• Like 1

Honestly, this is preventable. All those contractors needed to do was put up temporary barricades for the small debris, and plan their demo of the large debris better.

If my company can demo steel reinforced concrete 150 feet in the air and prevent ALL debris from falling on workers below or in process lines (refinery work), then I'm sure taking down a masonry reinforced brick wall within a constrained area should be quite easy for this company. This happened because of poor preplanning and for that, I blame the Project Management team. They should have the foresight to see that theyre already in hot water with the local residents and properly preplan every method of demolition to not interfere with other people's properties. Cover, Your, Ass, project managers.

/Construction rant 

• Like 5

Thank you for bringing some logic to this thread, Purdue. Boiler Up!

When I demolished my old garage on the alley, we put up netting to catch debris. Nothing flew onto neighboring property. It looks like zero precautions were taken which is quite surprising... and quite alarming. You'd think they'd be going out of their way to cover their collective butts from this sort of thing.

• Like 2

It would be funny if someone checked the survey and discovered the fence was actually on the developer's property. I'm surprised, though, that the developer isn't more careful given the high level of opposition from the neighbors. It is a sure bet they'll be watching like a hawk for any mistakes.

http://swamplot.com/ashby-highrise-developer-knocked-down-fence-was-on-our-property/2013-06-03/

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...