Sunset Coffee Building At 1019 Commerce St.

Lowbrow

I am not "crying" about this building as I could care less if they bulldozed it, historically renovated it, or simply gutted it like they did. What I care about is calling something in the press a "historic renovation" (as I recall) when it is not.

The picture above of the "before" image shows a badly worn building. While it is possible that this is not the original facade, my bet is that it is. Notice it also shows a building with a specific set of window placements of a specific size on one facade. That has changed.

The brick is all new. It seems that no effort was made to conserve any of the old brick above the "urine line". My further guess is that this brick is also totally modern brick. It likely has a different chemistry and look from brick of 1900.

The windows all appear to be new but appear to have the same design. That's good.

The final building might look great and be very functional but it will not have been "historically" renovated. Rather, it will have changed in a material ways. I am totally and completely fine with that change. Bothers me not. But, the press before construction should have been accurate and simply said that the building would be stripped bare and renovated to fit modern uses.

You're getting offended by a miswording in some press releases. Let that sink in for a second...you are actually upset about something as insignificant as that, and you've already made your mind up before the project is finished.

Wait until it's done to delicate flower.

If appears that BigFootSocks simply wants to Insult anyone who disagrees with him or her.

That's fine.

Apparently we are too dumb to comment now "before its finished" (I have already explained why that statement on its face is odd for a historic renovation) and none of us should have ANY opinion that disagrees with BFS until the building is finished. Of course, I have made NO comments about the building itself and I have limited my comments ONLY to the difference between a "historic renovation" and a gut job.

Then apparently folks who disagree with BFS are "crying". Again, I really don't care about the project and they could have flattened the building as far as I am concerned.

Now apparently I am a "delicate flower."

In all of this BFS simply doesn't address the fact that a building that was supposed to be a historic renovation, has actually turned into essentially a gut job..... If that were to be the case, they just should have said so from the beginning.....then gut the building and build something nice. Fine with me.

What is most interesting is that apparently, in this town, few folks, including BFS care that a project that was supposed to preserve a little history has actually not done that. Any thoughts about what would have happened if this very same "historic renovation turned gut job" been undertaken in Boston, Chicago or Manhattan? My prediction: there would be a significant outcry from the architecture, history, and political class. Here, likely nothing. Different place. Different culture.

Now, let me ask this question: does anyone know if the color of the brick at least matches the Original facade? Did they actually remove all the crud from all the years and match the original brick color? Or, did they just pick something that will look "nice"?

Edited by UtterlyUrban

It definitely looks like a renovation to me. The new brick stand out, as do what look like metal framed windows and the covered rooftop. Whatever the case, I'm glad to see this spot become something functional, as it still beats a derelict building left overgrown with weeds. 

It definitely looks like a renovation to me. The new brick stand out, as do what look like metal framed windows and the covered rooftop. Whatever the case, I'm glad to see this spot become something functional, as it still beats a derelict building left overgrown with weeds.

Fully agree. I am very glad something was done here.

Oh wow that is fantastic! I asked about the downtown stretch of the southern bayou trail in the buffalo bayou master plan thread. That Chase drive thru bank property catty corner to Market Square is now for sale and the bayou runs under one corner of the site, making for additional potential for the site now that this trail is being filled in below..

God I hope they tear do something to fix the old Kryptonite/Pink Monkey Club. They have major plumbing issues, and the back patio facing the bayou should be totally redone. Imagine this as some cool restaurant with a cleaned up view of the Bayou, and not a mega roach infested, sewer smelling, dump.

• Like 1

I am not "crying" about this building as I could care less if they bulldozed it, historically renovated it, or simply gutted it like they did. What I care about is calling something in the press a "historic renovation" (as I recall) when it is not.

Can you provide a source, other than your own recollection? Everything I remember called it a revamp or a rehabilitation, not a "historic renovation". 

• Like 2

Historic or not, this thing is going to be a great addition to the Main Street Market Square Park Historic district.

16353827047_d6351e92ce_c.jpg

Think of how great this is going to look with the landscaping done, and the bayou trailed cleared.

Remember that they are doing work to connect this spot to the Buffalo Bayou Park Trails on the south bank of the bayou via Sesquicentennial Park.

16352041728_9b2f6cda47_c.jpg

How's that construction going? Glad you asked. Here's the poured bridge under Milam.

16352260070_3df90446fe_c.jpg

Still dirt on the stretch behind/below the Magnolia Brewery building.

16353828687_741921cd0e_c.jpg

Imagine how great this patio for Kryptonite (?) could be if the space were used differently. Patio view of the trail and the bayou.

16352043658_fa2faa4f4d_c.jpg

Bridge going under Franklin and Louisiana is framed out.

16538021741_432187f4c8_c.jpg

BAYOU DUCKS DGAF!

16538657882_b317d978e1_c.jpg

Crossing under Louisiana, Capital, Smith like its NBD.

16538654992_610cf540f0_c.jpg

Then finally hooking up with the Long Climb To Kiss the Ring of Baker.

16538019601_89bf370fce_c.jpg

One of the better posts of our era.

Historic or not, this thing is going to be a great addition to the Main Street Market Square Park Historic district.

16353827047_d6351e92ce_c.jpg

Think of how great this is going to look with the landscaping done, and the bayou trailed cleared.

Remember that they are doing work to connect this spot to the Buffalo Bayou Park Trails on the south bank of the bayou via Sesquicentennial Park.

16352041728_9b2f6cda47_c.jpg

How's that construction going? Glad you asked. Here's the poured bridge under Milam.

16352260070_3df90446fe_c.jpg

Still dirt on the stretch behind/below the Magnolia Brewery building.

16353828687_741921cd0e_c.jpg

Imagine how great this patio for Kryptonite (?) could be if the space were used differently. Patio view of the trail and the bayou.

16352043658_fa2faa4f4d_c.jpg

Bridge going under Franklin and Louisiana is framed out.

16538021741_432187f4c8_c.jpg

BAYOU DUCKS DGAF!

16538657882_b317d978e1_c.jpg

Crossing under Louisiana, Capital, Smith like its NBD.

16538654992_610cf540f0_c.jpg

Then finally hooking up with the Long Climb To Kiss the Ring of Baker.

16538019601_89bf370fce_c.jpg

I'm tellin you, we could have our own version of San Antonio's riverwalk down there. The potential is already there, people just have to build.

The Houston Bayouwalk.

Has a nice ring to it, a very "Houston" ring to it...

All we need to kick it off is the fancy little boat that goes up and down the bayou, and some restaurants overlooking the bayou, along with a crap load of pretty landscaping and trees, flowers,palms, cactus, etc...

Hey, it could happen...

Edited by Howard Huge
  • Like 5

That Chase drive thru bank property catty corner to Market Square is now for sale and the bayou runs under one corner of the site, making for additional potential for the site now that this trail is being filled in below..

That could make for some interesting ideas. I never really thought about how much of that block was a effectively a bridge/pier over the bayou.

Waterfront dining with a tie in to Market Square sounds cool.

• Like 1

for everyone complaining that it doesn't look historic, I'd like to give a little perspective. when the building was initially erected the common sentiment at that time was that the building didn't look historic.

so I think how it looks now fits with the history of the building quite well.

• Like 1

To address the discussion on the "renovation", I heard from an inside source that the original plan was to not completely gut the building, but due to the deterioration discovered once the process began, there was no other way to do it but to gut it. This is partly the reason the project has taken longer than expected to complete. 

• Like 2

To address the discussion on the "renovation", I heard from an inside source that the original plan was to not completely gut the building, but due to the deterioration discovered once the process began, there was no other way to do it but to gut it. This is partly the reason the project has taken longer than expected to complete. 

I heard similar things.  It is what it is.

I REALLY wish they'd gotten closer to the original brick color, though. 4

Well this at least proves both my initial hypothesis and analysis.

I heard similar things.  It is what it is.

I REALLY wish they'd gotten closer to the original brick color, though. 4

Sure it would have been nice, but they would have had to really pile back a lot of layers just to get to the "original color" and like most buildings it's very very difficult to get 'as builts' or the original drawings of the building that would have specified the kind of brick which...lets be reasonable wouldn't even exist anymore. Most if not all the current major brick companies wouldn't have catalogs that even go back that far! In fact my firm had a very major brick company come here for a short after hour thing and even they have only been around for 50 years with old paper catalogs going back maybe MAYBE another 20. It's not as simple as just looking at the color or even the original brick and just making it. There's a lot more too it. They did the best they could. 

I am well aware of Love Street Light Circus Feel Good Machine, but what is this Rio Posada restaurant also at the site?

http://www.chron.com/neighborhood/heights-news/article/Rio-Posada-to-close-its-doors-mid-June-2129470.php

In Spanish the restaurant's name means "the river in." It is named after the Morenos' other venture, the Rio Posada Nightclub, Houston's first private Hispanic nightclub with a mixed beverage permit located on Allen's Landing on Market Square from 1968-1980.
  • Like 1