East End/EaDo Real Estate

A couple of things...

First, this is starting to smell like spam. Eastdowner joins HAIF, posts a link to a web site, then never contributes again. Seems like he's just trying to generate links to his web site and gain a favorable ranking in the search engines based on the goodwill that HAIF has with Google, etc...

Who runs the web site he's promoting? Can't really tell. The whois information for it is hiding behind an anonymous proxy. The web site claims that it's run by the East Downtown Management District. Anyone ever heard of this organization? Sounds awfully quasi-government, doesn't it? I don't think it is.

Going to the web site's "Contact" page reveals two addresses. Looking them up in Google shows one is a direct mail services company. The other address is either a shotgun shack converted into a shop, or an anonymous warehouse looking building, I can't tell which side of the street it's supposed to be.

Finally, has anyone seen the "EaDo" logos that are supposedly on the street signs in that area? The web site shows them, but it could just be a Photoshop job for all we know to once again make this look like a legitimate community group. Especially since the shadow of the sign on top stops right at the EaDo logo on the bottom sign.

All this web site is is a directory of businesses, which have presumably paid to be included in this directory. If that's all it is, then this is just a piece of spam.

I'm going to remove the web site name and link from this thread. If I'm proven wrong, I'll restore them. But for right now this all looks fishy.

• Replies 569
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A couple of things...

First, this is starting to smell like spam. Eastdowner joins HAIF, posts a link to a web site, then never contributes again. Seems like he's just trying to generate links to his web site and gain a favorable ranking in the search engines based on the goodwill that HAIF has with Google, etc...

Who runs the web site he's promoting? Can't really tell. The whois information for it is hiding behind an anonymous proxy. The web site claims that it's run by the East Downtown Management District. Anyone ever heard of this organization? Sounds awfully quasi-government, doesn't it? I don't think it is.

Going to the web site's "Contact" page reveals two addresses. Looking them up in Google shows one is a direct mail services company. The other address is either a shotgun shack converted into a shop, or an anonymous warehouse looking building, I can't tell which side of the street it's supposed to be.

Finally, has anyone seen the "EaDo" logos that are supposedly on the street signs in that area? The web site shows them, but it could just be a Photoshop job for all we know to once again make this look like a legitimate community group. Especially since the shadow of the sign on top stops right at the EaDo logo on the bottom sign.

All this web site is is a directory of businesses, which have presumably paid to be included in this directory. If that's all it is, then this is just a piece of spam.

I'm going to remove the web site name and link from this thread. If I'm proven wrong, I'll restore them. But for right now this all looks fishy.

The East Downtown Management District is a legitimate entity that actually levies a property tax on anyone owning real estate in its jurisdiction (here's the property tax bill for the Kim Son restaurant). Just like the Greater East End Management District, the Uptown Management District, or the Downtown Management District, it was created by the State legislature and given a wide berth as to how it operates.

A couple of things...

Even more importantly, is it EaDOH or EaDOO?

The East Downtown Management District is a legitimate entity that actually levies a property tax on anyone owning real estate in its jurisdiction (here's the property tax bill for the Kim Son restaurant). Just like the Greater East End Management District, the Uptown Management District, or the Downtown Management District, it was created by the State legislature and given a wide berth as to how it operates.

Good to know. Here's the link for those interested:

http://www.eastdowntownhouston.com/

Though, I still don't appreciate an organization coming in here, posting a link, and then failing to contribute further to the forum.

Further, why is it cloaking its whois information? It runs contrary to the intent of the domain registration system, and if this is a local government organization it should aspire to transparency, not subterfuge.

I must say that if EaDo is the name, I'm glad I'm on the other side of the tracks.

I can't imagine being asked "where do you live" and having to answer "EaDo" or even answering "warehouse district" and having that person come over the top and say "oh, you live in EaDo!" I would hang my head.

A couple of things...

Editor - I'm not promoting jack. I'm just a resident in the area and live at the Delano City Views condos. I thought this was an information forum and I was supplying...uh, information. Feel free to take this post off as well - I'm sure I have a ponzi or pyramid scheme in here somewhere.

Editor - I'm not promoting jack. I'm just a resident in the area and live at the Delano City Views condos. I thought this was an information forum and I was supplying...uh, information. Feel free to take this post off as well - I'm sure I have a ponzi or pyramid scheme in here somewhere.

Sorry I offended you. We get A LOT of spammers through here who post links and then disappear. Probably four or five a day. I have to be careful.

Sorry I offended you. We get A LOT of spammers through here who post links and then disappear. Probably four or five a day. I have to be careful.

Copy - no harm, no foul. The East End is transitional at best and gets plenty of negative attention. Those of us living here are at least encouraged by attempts to improve the neighborhood.

If they gave everyone east of downtown a Seedo, then we would be Eado with a seedoo...Next? :lol:

Honestly, though if I so much as overhear anyone in public say Eado, first it will be loud laughter then crown them on on the head with a frying pan. Much too much.

You'd have to wear your Speedo while piloting your Seedo through Eado.

While walking your dog, ScoobEado.

Seriously, the same people must have come up with this name that also named that Tolerance Bridge BS.

While walking your dog, ScoobEado.

Seriously, the same people must have come up with this name that also named that Tolerance Bridge BS.

The speedo, seedoo thru eado just killed me!

Subdude was right it must be a ploy of some sort to sound "terminally hip or ultra-cool".

Lets see now, if Peek a chew & ScoobEado lived in Eado wearing a Speedo on a seedo....possibilities are endless. :lol:

Not sure if it was explained but by pronouncing EoDo, would it be Ea like in East then Do like in (dow) as in downtown?

Either way is lousy. I wonder if you can still buy itching powder at funshops? I would shake into anyones pockets if they try to promote this most unpopular term. :P

• 6 months later...

Chinatown no longer

Neighborhood rebrands itself as EaDo — ‘east downtown’ — as it undergoes a cultural shift with a new look and identity

Chinese pagodas, with sun-faded green tiles and gold columns, decorate a concert venue in this area east of downtown, a reminder of this neighborhood’s ethnic heyday as Houston’s Chinatown.

But like many Houston neighborhoods, this one is ebbing and flowing into a new identity.

Its new residents — urban professionals, entrepreneurs and young singles — are touting it with the trendy moniker of EaDo, short for “east downtown.” They're holding a debut party of sorts Saturday at Francisco Studios, dubbing it “EaDo Palooza” to help create buzz about the restaurants, bars and art businesses that have opened in recent years.

It's a significant cultural shift for a neighborhood with roots going back decades.

full article

Chinatown no longer

Neighborhood rebrands itself as EaDo — ‘east downtown’ — as it undergoes a cultural shift with a new look and identity

Chinese pagodas, with sun-faded green tiles and gold columns, decorate a concert venue in this area east of downtown, a reminder of this neighborhood’s ethnic heyday as Houston’s Chinatown.

But like many Houston neighborhoods, this one is ebbing and flowing into a new identity.

Its new residents — urban professionals, entrepreneurs and young singles — are touting it with the trendy moniker of EaDo, short for “east downtown.” They're holding a debut party of sorts Saturday at Francisco Studios, dubbing it “EaDo Palooza” to help create buzz about the restaurants, bars and art businesses that have opened in recent years.

It's a significant cultural shift for a neighborhood with roots going back decades.

full article

I'll bet people would take them more seriously if they did something about silly name. I can't even read it without rolling the eyes.

Chinatown no longer

full article

Guh... The two alternatives were just as bad. Saint E? Sounds like the city canonized Ecstasy. Which wouldn't be so bad, I suppose, if those old warehouses were converted into rave space instead of apartments.

The neighborhood name will come on its own, without marketing experts and committee panels making the decision for us.

The neighborhood name will come on its own, without marketing experts and committee panels making the decision for us.

I've always thought of that area as sort of a buffer between Downtown and Third Ward. How about DownThird or ThirdTown? It sounds just as contrived as EaDo or ugh... Saint E.

Guh... The two alternatives were just as bad. Saint E? Sounds like the city canonized Ecstasy. Which wouldn't be so bad, I suppose, if those old warehouses were converted into rave space instead of apartments.

I agree. I took an informal poll of my friends at a birthday party tonight, and the most common reply was "Old Chinatown" and "The Warehouse District".

Whatever it is, you can't make me call it "Eado" no more than you'll make me call the Galleria "Uptown".

Here's the link: http://www.eadohouston.com/ :barf:

The only problem with 'Old Chinatown' or 'warehouse district' is, when all the old buildings are ripped up (and this is Houston, it will happen) the buildings that help to identify the name to the area will be gone, 50 years from now, people will scratch their heads and say, "what makes this area Old Chinatown? All I see are condos and townhomes?"

They could go with something like they did for Upper Kirby, or Washington District... Upper St. Emanuel District, or "USED" for short (pronounced "you-zed" so we don't get it confused with any negative connotations that BMW has been working so hard to get rid of by using the word Pre-Owned).

In all seriousness, no matter what name is 'given' to the area, it will be a bad one, unless they wait for one street to stand out over the others as the major thoroughfare, and just name the area after that.

I don't know if they're still there, but I recall signs on northbound 59 and 288 indicating the "Chinatown" district just before you reach DT (Gray St. exit). I wonder if they'll eventually place "EaDo" signs in their place.

AFAIK those signs have been whited out. It was strange seeing "Chinatown" disappear. I have not seen the EaDo signs yet...

AFAIK those signs have been whited out. It was strange seeing "Chinatown" disappear. I have not seen the EaDo signs yet...

I think there is still one on the 45 exit to downtown going northbound. I have to go to the grocery store tonight, I'll look for it and see if I can snap an iphone shot.

The only problem with 'Old Chinatown' or 'warehouse district' is, when all the old buildings are ripped up (and this is Houston, it will happen) the buildings that help to identify the name to the area will be gone, 50 years from now, people will scratch their heads and say, "what makes this area Old Chinatown? All I see are condos and townhomes?"

I've thought the same thing about the Vietnamese street signs in Midtown. Just had lunch at Cali Sandwiches a couple of weekends ago, and on the way there noticed that a trendy restaurant had appeared on the corner where Pho Cong Ly used to be. Pretty far removed from when metal window shutters were installed in the wake of a drive-by shooting there.

I agree. I took an informal poll of my friends at a birthday party tonight, and the most common reply was "Old Chinatown" and "The Warehouse District".

Whatever it is, you can't make me call it "Eado" no more than you'll make me call the Galleria "Uptown".

Here's the link: http://www.eadohouston.com/ :wub:

Everyone I know calls the galleria area "Uptown". I've heard ppl say:

Person says, "Yeah I work in the gallera"

Me, "Oh yeah that's right they DO have a visible changes in there"

Person, "No I mean in the galleria area"

Me, "Oh you mean UPTOWN"

Person, "Huh? Downtown?"

Me, "No... I mean UPTOWN"

Person, "I'm lost lol. Well whatever. All I know is that from my house in Katy I take I-10 or get on the westpark tollway"

Me, "Get out of my office."

Archived