So not everyone you know calls the Galleria area Uptown. For example, Person does not call it Uptown, but you do. I call it "the Galleria area".

So not everyone you know calls the Galleria area Uptown. For example, Person does not call it Uptown, but you do. I call it "the Galleria area".

How many of you refer to the Galleria area as "The Magic Circle"? That is what the Greater Houston Visitors and Convention Bureau called that area in their publications back in the mid '70s.

I presume "EaDo" is will have the same lasting effect.

Edited by plumber2

• Replies 569
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Look through the Dynamo stadium thread. As much as it pains me, "EaDo" seems to be catching on.

I like the term 'EaDo'. It is a short simple way to determine if the person with whom you are speaking is a douchebag. Normal people will always call it the East End or the Warehouse District, just as normal people call Washington Avenue the West End or Washington, as opposed to the douchebag alert system, 'WAve'.

I don't know anyone who calls it WAve. I mean, there's a jitney service called Washington Wave, but...

I've never heard of WAve either. I've heard it called douchebag ground zero before though.

I was the one who said it, but I also heard myself say it.

It seems like WAve is a magnet for puka shells, flip-flops and sideways hats.

but then uptown seems to be sticking, as more and more people refer to it by that name than by the galleria area...

Well of course. Anyone who calls Uptown the Galleria area simply has some loose screws. There is more in Uptown than the galleria. That's like saying "I live in the Breakfast club area" or "yes. it's in the nikko nikko's area". Ugh.

Well of course. Anyone who calls Uptown the Galleria area simply has some loose screws. There is more in Uptown than the galleria. That's like saying "I live in the Breakfast club area" or "yes. it's in the nikko nikko's area". Ugh.

Count me among those with loose screws. The Galleria is at least geographically accurate. Calling it Uptown is retarded. Uptown is a term that originated in Manhattan, as is Midtown and Downtown. There, Uptown is north, Downtown is south and Midtown is... well... in the middle. Our Midtown is accurate in that the neighborhood is sandwiched between Downtown and the TMC. Downtown is geographically inaccurate but the term has been in use for ages. Uptown is not north. It's west. The term is meaningless. Uptown grates on my ears the same way EaDo does. It's a fake, gimmicky and contrived corporate-sponsored name that means absolutely nothing. Besides, the area has been called the Galleria since the Galleria was the only thing out there.

Also, Uptown in reference to Galleria makes me think that its referring to socioeconomic status. The Upper people live in Uptown, or something. What's the reason for calling it Uptown?

I suspect you and attica hit the nail on the head. It's a contrived name meant to associate the businesses and residents there with luxury.

River Oaks is just one street, but the River Oaks area is named because that street defines the area. The images conjured up in ones mind from the name River Oaks gives you an overall feel for the area.

Montrose is just one street, but Montrose is named because at one point in time that street defined that area.

The same rings true for the Galleria area and why it is named. That part of town at one point in time was defined by the Galleria shopping mall.

It has transformed into so much more than just a mall and some supporting structures, but then Montrose has transformed from what it once was too.

The Greenway area encompasses more than the Greenway Plaza, Greenspoint encompasses more than Greenspoint mall.

The renaming of the area from Galleria Area to Uptown has nothing at all to do with the reality of the area for over 40 years. It is and always will be an area of town that is and was defined by the Galleria shopping mall.

Count me among those with loose screws. The Galleria is at least geographically accurate. Calling it Uptown is retarded. Uptown is a term that originated in Manhattan, as is Midtown and Downtown. There, Uptown is north, Downtown is south and Midtown is... well... in the middle. Our Midtown is accurate in that the neighborhood is sandwiched between Downtown and the TMC. Downtown is geographically inaccurate but the term has been in use for ages. Uptown is not north. It's west. The term is meaningless. Uptown grates on my ears the same way EaDo does. It's a fake, gimmicky and contrived corporate-sponsored name that means absolutely nothing. Besides, the area has been called the Galleria since the Galleria was the only thing out there.

Precisely. People referred to it as the Galleria area naturally. "Uptown" was adopted by the local business association as a marketing gimmick, just like "EaDo". The original Uptown in Houston was the area around the Shamrock - so called because it was the big developed area on the other side of Midtown from Downtown.

• Like 1

Sigh... where do I start. I'll try... :)

Count me among those with loose screws. The Galleria is at least geographically accurate.

No it's not. Regardless of where the terms originated, downtown is associated with a city's or town's central core, midtown... somewhere in the middle and uptown, further out. I'm unsure when you started to hear the term "uptown" in day-to-day usage when referring to the galleria but it seems to me it's been around for some time.

Calling it Uptown is retarded. Uptown is a term that originated in Manhattan, as is Midtown and Downtown. There, Uptown is north, Downtown is south and Midtown is... well... in the middle. Our Midtown is accurate in that the neighborhood is sandwiched between Downtown and the TMC.

To say Midtown is sandwhiched between Downtown and TMS is erroneous I believe. While it may be "geographically" correct, it is again, comparing apples and oranges. Yes, midtown is between downtown and TMC just like it's sandwhiched between downtown and halfprice books in the rice village. Ugh.

Downtown is geographically inaccurate but the term has been in use for ages. Uptown is not north. It's west. The term is meaningless.

Perhaps we should all start saying Westtown. Or WestSide? If we were to strictly adhere to the meaning of the term "uptown", we would be forced to build gravity planars, put everything in the "galleria area" on top of them, turn them on and watch them float in the air above houston, then build bridges to them. Only then will we have a real "uptown". With downtown below it. The same would hold true for midtown. Uptown is not really up. Not in Houston or in NYC. Ugh.

Uptown grates on my ears the same way EaDo does. It's a fake, gimmicky and contrived corporate-sponsored name that means absolutely nothing. Besides, the area has been called the Galleria since the Galleria was the only thing out there.

I'm not so sure about that... do you think downtown is fake also? Do you prefer TownCentre instead? That would seem to be a more fitting term. Or CityCentre. But then we'd have to move way out to the memorial and beltway 80 area. Ugh.

Perhaps we should all start saying Westtown. Or WestSide? If we were to strictly adhere to the meaning of the term "uptown", we would be forced to build gravity planars, put everything in the "galleria area" on top of them, turn them on and watch them float in the air above houston, then build bridges to them. Only then will we have a real "uptown". With downtown below it. The same would hold true for midtown. Uptown is not really up. Not in Houston or in NYC. Ugh.

You don't want to go too high, cause then you'll be in space, and there is no up or down in space, of course, I guess that you could say the enemy's gate is DOWN, but what kind of orientation is that, unless you are in the battle room?

• Like 2

Sigh... where do I start. I'll try... smile.gif

Try with UGH. That's a good place to start.
No it's not.
Yes it is.
To say Midtown is sandwhiched between Downtown and TMS is erroneous I believe.
Just because you're free to believe whatever you want to believe doesn't mean your beliefs are correct. A solid case in point is your disbelief that Midtown is between Downtown and the TMC. (Or that the Galleria isn't geographically in the Galleria.)
I suppose you've never heard the common association of the cardinal direction north with the relative direction up. It's true, look it up. Maybe you're from one of a number of scattered American Indian groups who viewed east as up, I don't know. If so, I can understand your confusion. If not, you're clearly being either argumentative or obtuse. I can never tell with you. Ugh.

As far as the West Side thing goes... the whole point is the area already has a name. It's called the Galleria. If you want to call it West Side, you'll look just as goofy as those calling it Uptown, or maybe even goofier because you're taking your cues from Manhattan based show tunes.

I'm not so sure about that... do you think downtown is fake also? Do you prefer TownCentre instead? That would seem to be a more fitting term. Or CityCentre. But then we'd have to move way out to the memorial and beltway 80 area. Ugh.

Town Centre is either too British or too French. Either way, the term has bad body odor and rotten teeth.

Precisely. People referred to it as the Galleria area naturally. "Uptown" was adopted by the local business association as a marketing gimmick, just like "EaDo". The original Uptown in Houston was the area around the Shamrock - so called because it was the big developed area on the other side of Midtown from Downtown.

Uptown is a marketing gimmick, but the area was forced to come up with a name when the owners of the Galleria complained of using their name for anything other than the Galleria itself. Uptown is what they decided upon.

• Like 1

You don't want to go too high, cause then you'll be in space, and there is no up or down in space, of course, I guess that you could say the enemy's gate is DOWN, but what kind of orientation is that, unless you are in the battle room?

+5 for impeccable taste and timing... just finished rereading that series last night.

Since we're guessing here, I'm guessing "Uptown" could only have been suggested by a panel consisting of Hitler, Pol Pot, Darth Vader, Satan, the developer from the Goonies and Ricky Martin.

You're going to put the developer of the Goonies in a list with those heathens?

Are you that unhappy that they didn't make a sequel?

Since we're guessing here, I'm guessing "Uptown" could only have been suggested by a panel consisting of Hitler, Pol Pot, Darth Vader, Satan, the developer from the Goonies and Ricky Martin.

Or maybe it was suggested by a run-of-the-mill developer trying to sell luxury condos in the area.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Guh... The two alternatives were just as bad. Saint E? Sounds like the city canonized Ecstasy. Which wouldn't be so bad, I suppose, if those old warehouses were converted into rave space instead of apartments.

The neighborhood name will come on its own, without marketing experts and committee panels making the decision for us.

laugh.gif ...I know where that came from, those streets in the warehouse/ Chinatown district (as stated in posts above) that have Saint in the street name. They need to give it up. It's still the East End.

• 2 weeks later...