• Replies 569
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

marmer,

we visited with you and one of the homeowners in her upstairs seventies themed fun room. i've never seen so much charlie's angel's memorabilia in one place!

i wondered if you were a haifer!

there is house i love at the intersection of telephone and mckinney. it needs paint! it would have great street presence if restored.

google map link to my favorite eastwood house

Right, you were the audio guy. Nice to meet you. Like I said, I almost certainly met crunch but didn't know it.

Well crud, I didn't meet any of you guys knowing you were HAIFers, that's too bad!

Ours was the house with the phone booth, not the upstairs Charlie's Angels rumpus room. (those owners give great parties, BTW)

LOL Travelguy, my sno-globes were on the shelf in the bathroom, but I refrained from talking about them. Mostly we were just busy explaining to folks how we didn't do any of the actual renovation work ourselves, but have been busy with undoing bad re-muddling and lots of deferred maintenance.

It was fun, and tiring. I loved that it was laid back. I went into it with feelings of general unease and unworthiness, because

we're just nothing like the places you see on home tours, what with our cracks in the drywall, mix and match furniture,

etc. In the end, though, it was great and most people realy seemed to enjoy themselves--I know I did.

Well crud, I didn't meet any of you guys knowing you were HAIFers, that's too bad!

Ours was the house with the phone booth.

You mean the TARDIS full of CD's. I saw you but I don't think I talked to you because you were talking to someone else. You have the great porch, right?

Ours was the house with the phone booth, not the upstairs Charlie's Angels rumpus room. (those owners give great parties, BTW)

LOL Travelguy, my sno-globes were on the shelf in the bathroom, but I refrained from talking about them. Mostly we were just busy explaining to folks how we didn't do any of the actual renovation work ourselves, but have been busy with undoing bad re-muddling and lots of deferred maintenance.

It was fun, and tiring. I loved that it was laid back. I went into it with feelings of general unease and unworthiness, because

we're just nothing like the places you see on home tours, what with our cracks in the drywall, mix and match furniture,

etc. In the end, though, it was great and most people realy seemed to enjoy themselves--I know I did.

Crunchtastic, I hope you, Capt. Crunch and your kitties have recovered from the tour. I heard many compliments on your home. Now that I know your true identity, I must apologize for my cousin-in-law's behavior at your place. He asked Capt. Crunch about the knob on what is, to all appearances, a piece of molding. The Capt. told him it was only a skinny cupboard, whereupon my C-I-L just had to open it to see for himself! C-I-L is an electrical engineer by trade and does inspections for large chemical plants, so perhaps you'll excuse him for opening small doors that look like they're hiding something interesting or dangerous. I'm glad I wasn't along when he and my dear cousin visited the other homes -- there's no telling what else he did!

I enjoyed seeing your house and talking with all of you. Wish I had written down the name of the artist whose work is hanging high on the wall facing your door -- I believe you said he was German. Please PM me if you have time -- thanks!

I went into it with feelings of general unease and unworthiness, because

that comes from living in the house, and seeing everything every day! what is normal every day to you is unique and interesting to someone else :)

cracks in drywall is a feature of older foundation types, if you didn't have cracks, I'd be worried, and mix/match furniture is the best cause you've got something different to sit in no matter the mood you're in :D

I hope to make it next year, just had too much going on this time around.

I heard, or maybe read somewhere that the owner seriously believes if he paints it or fixes it up, his taxes will skyrocket!

It's ironic, because it is primarily lot value anyways. Maybe he should also put some sinkholes in to decrease the land value as well.

Oh another note, if anyone is looking for a potential reno for a (seemingly) great price, this one at 4325 Coyle certainly fits the bill. I could see it as next year's work in process house, complete with box fans and glamour shot RE agent.

http://search.har.com/engine/doSearch.cfm?QUICKSEARCH=coyle&FOR_SALE=1

i met you. two women and a large guy, light blue shirt. we stood between the dining/kitchen and discussed the wood floors, paint colors, sunlight and closet space. your passion for old homes is evident and we enjoyed visiting with you.

Crunchtastic, I hope you, Capt. Crunch and your kitties have recovered from the tour. I heard many compliments on your home. Now that I know your true identity, I must apologize for my cousin-in-law's behavior at your place. He asked Capt. Crunch about the knob on what is, to all appearances, a piece of molding. The Capt. told him it was only a skinny cupboard, whereupon my C-I-L just had to open it to see for himself! C-I-L is an electrical engineer by trade and does inspections for large chemical plants, so perhaps you'll excuse him for opening small doors that look like they're hiding something interesting or dangerous. I'm glad I wasn't along when he and my dear cousin visited the other homes -- there's no telling what else he did!

I enjoyed seeing your house and talking with all of you. Wish I had written down the name of the artist whose work is hanging high on the wall facing your door -- I believe you said he was German. Please PM me if you have time -- thanks!

i noticed that piece of art as well. in fact, ms. crunch (i now know that was her) told us the artist name and i've already forgotten.

I envy your sleeping porch/sunroom off of the master bedroom. What a great space...

• Like 1

I envy your sleeping porch/sunroom off of the master bedroom. What a great space...

Oh yeah, that was one of my favorite features on the entire tour. That, and the zen-like side garden at the modern house (which I enjoyoed as well, love when reallyl modern homes are sprinkled into old areas).

I forgot to mention how much I enjoyed peeking through the back and side curtains of many of the homes to see the views of neighboring homes. We are pretty fortunate to have a well-kept newish home next door to us, a decent brick-duplex on the other side, and landscaping to hide our back neighbors falling down garage. I now see that not everyone is so lucky! I think I would have paid to have some of my neighbors homes painted by now if I had those views, LOL.

I forgot to mention how much I enjoyed peeking through the back and side curtains of many of the homes to see the views of neighboring homes. We are pretty fortunate to have a well-kept newish home next door to us, a decent brick-duplex on the other side, and landscaping to hide our back neighbors falling down garage. I now see that not everyone is so lucky! I think I would have paid to have some of my neighbors homes painted by now if I had those views, LOL.

Yeah, I kept noticing that as well. I also walked to all but the two farthest houses. In the neighborhood, I noticed: 1/3 nicely restored and well kept; 1/3 shabby but livable; 1/3 total dumps that almost look beyond renovation.

Yeah, I kept noticing that as well. I also walked to all but the two farthest houses. In the neighborhood, I noticed: 1/3 nicely restored and well kept; 1/3 shabby but livable; 1/3 total dumps that almost look beyond renovation.

I'm actually surprised what someone is willing to rebuild.

there's a house at the end of Elliott, on Forcade, that house hasn't got a roof, and it has looked like it will collapse any second (since Ike at least). They put up a fence around the whole house about 2 months ago, and yesterday I noticed that the interior is completely gutted, and most of the roof has been removed.

Maybe they're painstakingly deconstructing the house, rather than just bulldozing it in one go? But to me it looks like they're going to do a full renovation.

I'll try to snap some pictures of it.

Edited by samagon

I didn't make it to the home tour this year; attended the East End Art Fest. A friend of mine volunteered and said it was great. My collegue's home on Walker is on the tour. It's great homeowners interact with visitors. Curious as to who decides which home gets on the tour.

• 2 weeks later...

Me too. In a Pearland suburb where lots of people drove to get here. Really, there were probably twenty or thirty cars on our main street, with families coming from other areas. Still, we had a lot of candy left over, and it seemed like there were maybe half as many trick-or-treaters as in past years. Don't know why.

I wasn't home the entire evening but apparently it was pretty dead on our street (har har). Driving in I saw a large group of people crossing on to an adjacent road but that was it.

I did notice other activities going on like Halloween carnivals (mostly churches, I think) so maybe that was a draw away from going door to door.

It was kickin in Baton Rouge where we trick-or-treated. I never had any traffic here in Montrose or Heights. Lazy kids or lazy parents? I used to sprint with my friends or sisters from house to house, trying to hit every one in the neighborhood. Kids these days just don't have their priorities straight.

The teen who lives a few doors up and who takes care of our kitties when were away, handled the trick-or-treaters last night. He feeds our cats, so he can feed our goblins , too. We got 11 in total. Shall we have a HAIFy hour with a candy theme?

We went to visit our friends in River Oaks. It was like a freaking carnival there! The sidewalks were jammed. There was no place to park on the street. At several points, there were children lined up all the way down their walkway. That was scary. We just kept the door open and I mostly sat in the gallery (the staircase). I was stunned!

In very light discernment, it was pretty clear that 95% of the children did not live in the neighborhood. Their parents might work there, but that's about all the connection.

I don't know what the attraction is. Rich people have better candy? Nah, they went to Kroger. The nicely groomed 'hood is safer? Well, RO Patrol was definitely on the scene, but they couldn't drive anywhere in the gridlock.

I don't know, but the RO people love it. I figure my friends spent north of $100 candy and we had to supplement from their kids' bags before 9PM. Their 5 year old, our Godson, caught us, and, oh Lord, he was ticked off. There were some serious Halloween displays, too: Steam coming out of the bushes, giant tunnels to front doors, and some mansions converted to haunted houses.

I'm not much for Halloween, but this was pretty terrific. A lot of people, from different walks of life, having fun.

There were some serious Halloween displays, too: Steam coming out of the bushes, giant tunnels to front doors, and some mansions converted to haunted houses.

I'm not much for Halloween, but this was pretty terrific. A lot of people, from different walks of life, having fun.

This is probably the big reason.

Kind of like getting in the car to go see Christmas lights. Err, Festivus for the Restivus lights.