Has anyone suggested renaming near east end to: NEEWD, I know it is kind of suggestive, but it retains the history of the warehouse district name, and near east end, but makes it a short 1 syllable word!

how would u pronounce that?

• Replies 569
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

how would u pronounce that?

I would say, for simplicity, same pronunciation as 'nude'

4. HAIF would have to sponsor an obligatory happy hour to Lucky's Pub in "the NEEWD".

I like it!

Perhaps a group outing to catch the inaugural soccer game at the stadium to be built in the NEEWD.

Has anyone suggested renaming near east end to: NEEWD, I know it is kind of suggestive, but it retains the history of the warehouse district name, and near east end, but makes it a short 1 syllable word!

Wouldn't be much worse than 'Ride the SLUT'...........I can see the t-shirts now: "Meet Me In The NEEWD"

What's wrong with East End anyway?? Almost anything is better than EaDo.

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

The thread on festivals reminded me how quickly we go from the dog days of summer to an absolutely event-jammed October...

The Eastwood Home Tour is next weekend, so if you've been curious about the east end, come on out.

http://www.eastwoodcivicassociation.org/hometour.html

Casa de Crunch is on the tour, so stop by and say hi!

• Like 4

Horay for odds! I need to go grab a lotto ticket for tonight. Breakin number 2, Guy was caught this time, but who knows how long he'll be off the streets.

Now I'm definitely getting a security system, as both breakins would have likely been deterred by the sign. And probably a loud dog too.

This was not how I wanted to spend a vacation day...

now that I'm not on my phone, I'll tell the story.

I was in my backyard working with my garden on my day off, and heard some odd noises from the front of the house, so I grabbed my rubber mallet, and went to the front, as I was walking I heard the crack of something breaking, and as I round on my porch, the front door is shattered. So I yell with as close to an intimidating voice to GTFO my house.. and sure enough about 5 seconds later, some guy comes out looking like he pooped himself and jumps in his car.

I got his tag numbers, and the description of the car (white 90s mitsubishi SUV), cops came by and looked it over, they found the guy about 45 minutes later and brought him by for me to ID. So he's at least spending the night in jail, and hopefully a longer amount of time.

So my garden isn't finished to what I wanted to do today, but I have a new steel front door.

Edited by samagon
  • Like 1

GOOD JOB!

In related news, I bought a bayonet for my airsoft M-14 (a real bayonet though, not just a 'realistic' one like pictured). I feel safer with that than a rubber mallet.

airsoft_M4_bayonet.jpg

I've become convinced that this really is the best home defense system when you've got roommates or common walls with a neighbor.

thanks guys, I'd rather not have to chase people out of my house.

what is the average number of times someones house will be broken into? so far I've been at home 4 times (twice at my parents house, twice at my house) during a break-in, and I'm just as freaked about it.

Hope that's it for me.

thanks guys, I'd rather not have to chase people out of my house.

what is the average number of times someones house will be broken into? so far I've been at home 4 times (twice at my parents house, twice at my house) during a break-in, and I'm just as freaked about it.

Hope that's it for me.

I had a break-in this weekend also!! I'm over on the 5000 block of Jefferson. Did you report it to the police? I wonder if there's any connection.

Same for me. This is the first apartment break-in I've had here, and I've lived in Dissen Heights for 2 and a half years. Really considering moving, eventhough I love how close it is to work. But living near work and Downtown isn't worth it if I have to lose an $2700. I worked hard for that TV and computer :angry2:

yeah, the police caught the guy that broke into my house yesterday, I was able to provide an accurate description and a license plate number, I was lucky that nothing was taken, and he didn't have a weapon.

I hope it was the same guy, and I hope they find other stolen items in his car/residence to link him to other robberies.

I've been burglerized once. There was another attempted, but the alarm scared them off, so far in my over forty yrs in houston, that has been my experience in that.

Aside from when someone tried breaking in my twenty yrs ago, but I think I winged him when I took a shot.

resolution is getting close, got called this morning from the city, we reviewed the notes that the officers at the scene collected. He mentioned that this guy had quite a history with the law (not a good one), and that he will likely be going away for quite a while.

I asked them to contact me back with a resolution, as I wanted to know. My hope is that this guy is the same guy who's been burglarizing the area, and that he gets tossed away for a long time, and of course is rehabilitated to become a contributing member of society (fat chance of that, but a boy can dream, right?) when he is released.

I'll keep you guys posted.

Edited by samagon
  • Like 1

resolution is getting close, got called this morning from the city, we reviewed the notes that the officers at the scene collected. He mentioned that this guy had quite a history with the law (not a good one), and that he will likely be going away for quite a while.

I asked them to contact me back with a resolution, as I wanted to know. My hope is that this guy is the same guy who's been burglarizing the area, and that he gets tossed away for a long time, and of course is rehabilitated to become a contributing member of society (fat chance of that, but a boy can dream, right?) when he is released.

I'll keep you guys posted.

The resolution will not come from the police. It is the District Attorney that prosecutes the criminals and puts them in prison. If the guy has been arrested, you'll want to call the DA's office and talk to the prosecutor handling the case. If he has not been arrested yet, you'll deal with the police until the arrest.

The resolution will not come from the police. It is the District Attorney that prosecutes the criminals and puts them in prison. If the guy has been arrested, you'll want to call the DA's office and talk to the prosecutor handling the case. If he has not been arrested yet, you'll deal with the police until the arrest.

In the criminal justice system, the people are protected by two separate, but equally important groups: the police, who investigate the crimes, and the district attorneys who prosecute the offenders.

I really enjoyed this home tour. The weather was perfect, and the atmosphere seemed more laid back, compared to some of the other home tours I have been on. Many of the homeowners were actually present and were able to answer questions from the visitors. The owners seemed very proud of their homes, as they should be. It was evident that a lot of work had been put into renovating the homes. In addition, it was refreshing to see that each project contained some degree of personal expression, rather than just blindly following the current decorating trends.

• Like 1

The thread on festivals reminded me how quickly we go from the dog days of summer to an absolutely event-jammed October...

The Eastwood Home Tour is next weekend, so if you've been curious about the east end, come on out.

http://www.eastwoodc...g/hometour.html

Casa de Crunch is on the tour, so stop by and say hi!

darn! which house is yours? i guess i thought yours was the one featured in dwell magazine.

i really enjoyed the tour. we walked and were too tired to hit the last two houses (8 and 9 i think).

I really enjoyed this home tour. The weather was perfect, and the atmosphere seemed more laid back, compared to some of the other home tours I have been on. Many of the homeowners were actually present and were able to answer questions from the visitors. The owners seemed very proud of their homes, as they should be. It was evident that a lot of work had been put into renovating the homes. In addition, it was refreshing to see that each project contained some degree of personal expression, rather than just blindly following the current decorating trends.

i really enjoyed talking with the homeowners. you should have met up with us. it would have been nice to meet a fellow haifer!

On behalf of the Eastwood Civic Association, thanks to all of you who came to this year's Home Tour. I served on one of the committees and heard the homeowners say how much they enjoyed talking with the visitors, too.

It was really neat to see so many people who grew up in the Eastwood area coming back to visit their old stomping grounds. They were pleased that the neighborhood is reviving.

Several couples who came to the tour mentioned they were looking to buy a home in the area.

i really enjoyed talking with the homeowners. you should have met up with us. it would have been nice to meet a fellow haifer!

We all probably passed each other several times.

Mrs. P. and I enjoyed the tour, as well. An excellent selection of homes. It was fun that the homeowners were more present and involved in this Tour than they are for some others.

Kudos the to crunch and "the cap'n"...The house really looked great! It really showed its light and grace. The house really is exemplary of the planned components of the neighborhood.

No, bachanon, it was not the Dwell house. That house on Curtin was great. I loved how the living room walls roll open. However, wouldn't be cool if Dwell did more coverage of older homes with very high celings, lathe walls, restored woodwork, and fabulous front porches? These homes are the archetypes of efficiency. Simply realized, there was a time in Eastwood and other Houston neighborhoods when people lived without air conditioning and prospered.

Ooo! Mrs. P. and I also got a bonus tour of a really cool East End project of which we had seen the early evolution. Thank you, [other HAIFer]!

We enjoyed the tour as well, and took our new neighbors along who were excited to see how other homes have been renovated in the area. We had also remarked at how much more casual the tour was compared to the Heights or Norhill, most of which are overdone, and make you stand around in a room listening about the homeowner's collection of snowglobes, rather than tour the house at your own pace and take it all in. I look forward to seeing the McKinney work in progress duplex as a tinished product on the tour next year.

Yes. Very nice indeed. Lovely homes and lovely volunteers and very welcoming homeowners. Crunch, I'm sure I saw you because I went to every house. I was the fat bald guy with the beard, tan shirt, and plaid shorts. Oh, and no pretentious shoe booties in sight!

Church of the Redeemer's mural is amazing, if you've never seen it, and Lantrip Elementary is spectacular. There are still plenty of houses in Eastwood that could use a lot of work... ;-)

marmer,

we visited with you and one of the homeowners in her upstairs seventies themed fun room. i've never seen so much charlie's angel's memorabilia in one place!

i wondered if you were a haifer!

there is house i love at the intersection of telephone and mckinney. it needs paint! it would have great street presence if restored.

google map link to my favorite eastwood house

marmer,

we visited with you and one of the homeowners in her upstairs seventies themed fun room. i've never seen so much charlie's angel's memorabilia in one place!

i wondered if you were a haifer!

there is house i love at the intersection of telephone and mckinney. it needs paint! it would have great street presence if restored.

google map link to my favorite eastwood house

*Everyone* loves that house, and I have a feeling the owner knows it and doesn't do anything to it out of spite, LOL,