East End/EaDo Real Estate

DSCN0561_0118_118.jpg?t=1224517330

Wow, Vertigo, thnx for the pics, including this one, can't believe the bayou is still having major issues at this location. it is Idylwood, right? Thought it would get better, with the recent so-called "improvements". Guess it will always be a potential problem at bayou banks, especially on the south or east side. Are there any new retention ponds in that area? Those trees are so old w/ huge trunks, what a shame. Hate to lose them.

• Replies 569
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wow, Vertigo, thnx for the pics, including this one, can't believe the bayou is still having major issues at this location. it is Idylwood, right? Thought it would get better, with the recent so-called "improvements". Guess it will always be a potential problem at bayou banks, especially on the south or east side. Are there any new retention ponds in that area? Those trees are so old w/ huge trunks, what a shame. Hate to lose them.

That photo was taken 1 day & 1/2 after the storm passed. The water was above that stop sign. In fact this bayou started rising up the streets BEFORE Ike came for a visit. It wasnt even raining yet. :o Now you see why we start raising furniture and later comes the window boarding. Its a big gamble living anywhere near that little park. I am not naming specific streets but as I described in prior thread of a good pal we knew that got fed up w/3rd flood event and left for good. His house was at neck level in water. We all pitched in to help them salvage and that was just after Allison came thru. The area is scenic of course but is it worth it? We also knew the one guy that once lived at very end of that bend. He finally left as his house was teetering into collapse after so many rain events. Strength of after from bayou was just too much for the foundation. Hard to believe that beautiful modern 1950's home was once featured in House Beautiful in the 50's. Bayou's are nice to look at but no thanks. and your right there were recent "improvements" done. No comment.

On a lighter side, the hurricane gave me an opportunity to see something that I haven't seen in decades within the city limits of Houston: Fireflies.

On two separate nights during our blackout, I saw two fireflies fluttering around our driveway in southeast Houston. It was my understanding that these insects were scarce in Houston. Perhaps there are more present but cannot see them with all the lighting we have in the city.

As a kid growing up in Houston during the 70s, I would often see fireflies and catch them in a jar.

• 1 month later...

Here we are several months later and there are many visible markers of damage. Over on Telephone Rd near Woodridge there is a building with the second floor walls missing. I was across the street having a snack and wondered why the tarp was all ripped up and flapping around and could see that the walls facing the street were all collapsed. :mellow: It looks like the buildings after an earthquake.

Even Epworth Methodist Church at Dismuke/Harriet st still has the whole front facade all crumbled. Cant believe the wind got that strong!? Maybe once the wind gets inside the brick walls it loosens them or seperates them from the wood frames. Sounds dangerous, need to have all brick structures checked out like now.

We were in New Orleans over the holiday weekend visiting my sister. We drove down into the Ninth Ward to see the "Brad Pitt homes" (Make It Rightas well as the one that This Old House redid last season. That part of NOLA--talk about devastation! Any bad feelings I had toward Houston's "prolonged" recovery were wiped away after seeing NOLA. Disgust isn't a strong enough word.

We had our roof replaced a couple of weeks ago, and should be finishing up our fence replacement this weekend. So, for us, everything is returning to normal.

• 3 weeks later...

Why not rebuild the hood. It will raise the value of some of your homes and make it feel safer, like upper Kirby or a lower version of River Oaks. It will be a welcoming change and we can stand to get ride of the druggies, gang bangers, and loud music. Making the east end what it use to be.

Why not rebuild the hood. It will raise the value of some of your homes and make it feel safer, like upper Kirby or a lower version of River Oaks. It will be a welcoming change and we can stand to get ride of the druggies, gang bangers, and loud music. Making the east end what it use to be.

hope you have several cattle prods and firearms for this mission :lol::DB)

Okaaaaaaayyyy......can you tell us how you decided on this particular location for your new home?

There are quire a few contributors to this site who own early 20th century houses in the East End and are interested in seeing the area improve.

While few and far between, I've noticed a few other McMansions in the East End. There are some sprinkled throughout Eastwood, there's one on Scharpe St in Broadmoor, and one is currently under construction on Country Club Drive or Jefferson St in Country Club Place. Additionally, I can think of at least two in Forest Hill - one is on Santa Maria and the other is on Forest Hill Blvd.

While I'd rather see the older homes renovated (the East End has such great housing stock!), I do prefer McMansions over townhomes, in terms of redevelopment.

• 2 weeks later...

There is a few homes coming up in the EE, plus the new high school being built on Milby and Lovejoy and the Metro Rail. I hope that more people come to EE to build their homes. Just on the block on the home on Lovejoy and Sidney there are 3 unoccupied homes.

1. Home of a senior citizen -- passes away last year

2. Home currently owned by the IRS.

3. Someone who has moved to "I don't know where" (only bad thing her daughter doesn't want to sell).

People on this block are mostly senior citizens who will be passing away soon. I know bad thing to say :( But this will be perfect for those who want to build home near and around downtown. This will bring a great improvement to EE and you don't have to drive that far to get to work. I will say one thing I'm sick of seeing these townhomes going up. What happened to people living in homes?

Also just an FYI the Tyson building on Canal is being turned into another townhome/condo

hope you have several cattle prods and firearms for this mission :lol::DB)

Nope nothing like. I feel safe here.

Okaaaaaaayyyy......can you tell us how you decided on this particular location for your new home?

There are quire a few contributors to this site who own early 20th century houses in the East End and are interested in seeing the area improve.

I lived in EE for a while. My father in fact won the land from a state action, which he in turn was going to build aparments. His placs changed one I announce my engagement. This home is a wedding present from my parents.

Rich people means increased police presence.

Actually it does. The more tax you pay the more HPD cares about you. It used to be you were lucky the cops even showed up if at all in the Near East End.

Wealthy people rant & rave more than renters, that's how it works. Whole new topic.

Now let's get the champagne ready! :D

Rich people means increased police presence.

Actually it does. The more tax you pay the more HPD cares about you. It used to be you were lucky the cops even showed up if at all in the Near East End.

Wealthy people rant & rave more than renters, that's how it works. Whole new topic.

Now let's get the champagne ready! :D

Yep. A cop was shot a couple weeks ago directly in front of my residence near Meridian, so more police is a good thing!

• 2 months later...

Is it just me or is "EaDo" pretty lame? I honestly hope that no one was paid to come up with that. Enough of the SoHo's and the SoDo's and the NoDa's and the GoGo's and HoHo's. If they were going to come up with a combo name that's a New York clone, I would have preferred something like Tribeca (TRIangle BElow CAnal).

Is it just me or is "EaDo" pretty lame? I honestly hope that no one was paid to come up with that. Enough of the SoHo's and the SoDo's and the NoDa's and the GoGo's and HoHo's. If they were going to come up with a combo name that's a New York clone, I would have preferred something like Tribeca (TRIangle BElow CAnal).

It's not just you. And yes, someone got paid.

Every time I see it or hear it pronounced, I think about Japan's Edo period.

"EaDo"? :huh: "EaDo"? :blink: Oh good god, you MUST be kidding. :wacko: Calling it lame barely scratches the surface of the inanity here. How clueless can these people possibly be? Don't they see how embarrassing this sort of thing is?

Is it too late to ask the marketing consultants for the money back? Do you think it was from the same firm that came up with "iFest"? Maybe they specialize in derivative names they try to pass off as "hip".

The media needs to get the terms straight...they (weather and traffic reports on tv) refer to the east end as "the working side of town", which to me sounds like lawndale and out towards the loop. EaDo looks like east end of downtown...hearing this reminds me of "redo", as in mistake, and hairdo....and wasnt this the warehouse district a few yrs ago? The way people try to pkg these areas to be more appealing is rediculous.

It's not just you. And yes, someone got paid.

Every time I see it or hear it pronounced, I think about Japan's Edo period.

Talk about irony and an interesting point. They seem to be trying to shed the "Chinatown" moniker, yet their new name sounds like a significant period in Asian history, AND they are putting (I assume) Chinese symbols on the street signs.

Talk about irony and an interesting point. They seem to be trying to shed the "Chinatown" moniker, yet their new name sounds like a significant period in Asian history, AND they are putting (I assume) Chinese symbols on the street signs.

The East Downtown Management District takes in a larger swath than the traditional "Chinatown" area, which is more concentrated within TIRZ #15.

Nevertheless, there were no pockets of Japanese culture in this area that I'm aware of. I can only imagine that the few remnants of Chinese and Vietnamese culture here would be insulted at being in any way associated with Japan.

The media needs to get the terms straight...they (weather and traffic reports on tv) refer to the east end as "the working side of town", which to me sounds like lawndale and out towards the loop. EaDo looks like east end of downtown...hearing this reminds me of "redo", as in mistake, and hairdo....and wasnt this the warehouse district a few yrs ago? The way people try to pkg these areas to be more appealing is ridiculous.

First, I doubt any of the local anchors (or weather reporters or high-school dropout traffic reporters) ever set foot anywhere east of 45. So naturally, they know nothing of anything with regards to that part of town.

Second, we already know the lackluster performance of reporting and their less-than-stellar research...

... to refer to the east end of Houston as "the working side of town" is absolutely RIDICULOUS! So then... the west side of downtown doesn't work? Are they on unemployment? Did they get a bailout?

All of Houston works. Jesus. Their sheer ignorance is stunning yet typical.

Come on... ugh.

First, I doubt any of the local anchors (or weather reporters or high-school dropout traffic reporters) ever set foot anywhere east of 45. So naturally, they know nothing of anything with regards to that part of town.

Second, we already know the lackluster performance of reporting and their less-than-stellar research...

... to refer to the east end of Houston as "the working side of town" is absolutely RIDICULOUS! So then... the west side of downtown doesn't work? Are they on unemployment? Did they get a bailout?

Come on... ugh.

"Working" is a brief euphemism for low earning power. Would your rather that the local reporters refer to east Houston as "the side of town in which disproportionate numbers of poorly-educated brown people endure dirty, sweaty jobs that don't pay well"?

"Working" is a brief euphemism for low earning power. Would your rather that the local reporters refer to east Houston as "the side of town in which disproportionate numbers of poorly-educated brown people endure dirty, sweaty jobs that don't pay well"?

It would be refreshing to dispense with all the PC that's making this country go down the toilet faster than I can say "enemy combatants" or "tort reform"... so yes. I would prefer that.

There's a picture of the Chinese character street signs on the marketing website. I don't think they are trying to get rid of the "Chinatown" name, since it is unlikely many people would call the area "Chinatown" to begin with. On the contrary, it seems they are trying to resurrect the former Chinese character of the area, even if it effectively vanished 50 years ago, to add a little ethnic cachet. It's just another shallow marketing gimmick.

You know, a couple of years ago some clown was pushing the "SoDo" name for Midtown, and people have tossed "NoDo" about, and now these nitwits have dreamed up "EaDo". What is it with this city anyway? Do lots of people just feel that we will never be complete as a city until there is a neighborhood or two ending in "Do"? Do people really believe that would confer coolness or world class status? How much more insecure could we possibly act? It's like my mother used to say: "When you try to make an impression, that's the impression you make."

Come on... ugh.

I assumed they were talking about the chemical plants and the ship channel. The media uses that term on TV and radio when referring to the east end.

Archived