East End/EaDo Real Estate

There is now a high wooden fence blocking the view from Dumble. Privacy is an issue for some. :)

i saw that a month or so ago. i think the traffic was a turnoff with respect to the view, but it sure takes away from the charm of the house.

• Replies 569
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 11 months later...

I just noticed from map that in East Houston, like Baytown, Channel view, lynchburg area, they are close to the real beach. Just wondering if in there are any good single family communities with great beach views e.g., and also good schools. Somehow I got the feeling that East Houston is not great for living, with the refinaries etc. and more of an industrial setting. It is not up to the same level as Katy, Sugerland, Woodlands, clear lake area ? But I am wondering with beach view on the real sea shore, there got to be some high end good communities in that area ? I never been there, but planning to visit some day, just don't know which communities (with new development) to visit to, if there are any ?

Thanks,

Joe W.

Check out Morgan's Point. I tried to buy a home there several years ago. It is a town of only about three or four hundred people, many of which are very very well off. The town probably is in the top twenty municpalities in Texas in terms of average household income and for educational attainment. And then there are homes on the landward side of Bayridge...some of which are historic and attractive (like the one I put an offer on), and some of which are a little ratty. But it also happens to be the highest and most protected point along Galveston Bay. That's a big plus!

• 2 weeks later...

I was trolling the East end and stumbled across a future McMansion in a very unlikely area.

The location is the corner of Sydney and Lovejoy.

Please excuse the quality of the pic. It was pouring rain and the shot was taken through the windshield.

post-3988-1215200460_thumb.jpg

I was trolling the East end and stumbled across a future McMansion in a very unlikely area.

The location is the corner of Sydney and Lovejoy.

Please excuse the quality of the pic. It was pouring rain and the shot was taken through the windshield.

This is right by my house. Interesting.

Does the house at Hagerman and Sherman have an occupant yet? It was empty for the longest time.

If you are referring to the 5600sf Spanish style , it closed in April of this year for

$360k. A far cry from the original price of 500K last year.

BTW: It is currently appraised at $541K on HAR.

When I first saw that house I thought "Talk about overbuilding the hood!!!!"

post-3988-1215464988_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/5906695.html

Houston City Councilman James Rodriguez really didn't expect much action during his ride-along with Houston police officers Thursday afternoon.

"It was raining really hard and I remember thinking 'We're not going to see much,'" said Rodriguez, who represents District I.

He just wanted to evaluate some complaints of neighborhood nuisances

• 3 weeks later...
and at Kelley's no less...bah!

The real irony is that Biker Gang's hang out here quite often. :lol:

Guess they are not as menacing?

Sometimes from 45 looking down you can see what seems like hundreds of them in the parking lot. I personally prefer seeing them opposed to the latter wannabe's. Wonder if Kelley's people are reading this? lol

I believe the group that rides out of there on Saturday mornings is called 'The Retreads'. Have to be over 50 to participate it seems, but have observed most at my age pushing 60......

• 1 month later...

This by far was more of a wind event than a rain/flooding event for the East Side of downtown. It was a race against time to start raising furniture, boarding up etc. but biggest fear was the gusts that came through in the middle of the night. Will go into more detail later about specifics, but we personally had serious roof damage and all trees tilt to the East which means the strongest gusts came from the West later in the night anyway. As mentioned numerous times in other threads, the big old trees were the culprit for most of the serious damage to homes and business at least in this section of town.

I am sure everyone has their own version of events that night. There still is no power in several large sections of East End as I type.

432689_palm_tree.jpg

deborah wrigley had a report yesterday how many of east end businesses are suffering because so much of the power is still out. they interviewed the owner of adler restaurant supplies that said he has a whole warehouse full of items for sale but has no power or phone so prospective buyers don't know they are open.

Here is a short list of nabes that got slammed the worse by tree/wind damage (as far as I know). :o

Idlywood - Major

Country Club Place - Minimal

Broadmoor - Minimal

Sunnyland - Major

Pine Valley - Major

Brookline - Not sure

Sure wish some from Idlywood would comment here. I went to help my brother in Idylwood. A huge pine tree they had pulled up their water line! This nabe was not a good place to be. Snapped many pictures for historical/insurance reasons. If you drive down Lawndale near Gus Wortham Golf Course, you can still see where the huge trees literally crashed into bedroom windows (ala Poltergeist film). Epworth Methodist Church at Dismuke/Telephone lost the whole brick facade due to high winds (bizarre). There were many home made of brick that were crushed by large branches.

Power line still dangle at dangerous angles in our area. Pretty much an obstacle course. Many power lines simply lay on the ground like no big deal. When night draws power lines cannot be seen by tall autos. Very scary. Best example is behind Villa de Matel Convent. At least 4-5 poles lay on ground with not one "warning" flag or cone. Our lights flicker or dim on and off, kind of scary. Lawson street is still has a huge tree blocking traffic, that one took down the light post, speed sign and heavy power lines. Media did a very poor job of covering this part of town. At least the immediate aftermath. Not one TV crew to be seen anywhere. :angry::)

deborah wrigley had a report yesterday how many of east end businesses are suffering because so much of the power is still out. they interviewed the owner of adler restaurant supplies that said he has a whole warehouse full of items for sale but has no power or phone so prospective buyers don't know they are open.

drove by Fiesta (Wayside near Lawndale) last night....still no power.

Here is a short list of nabes that got slammed the worse by tree/wind damage (as far as I know). :o

Idlywood - Major

Country Club Place - Minimal

Broadmoor - Minimal

Sunnyland - Major

Pine Valley - Major

Brookline - Not sure

Sure wish some from Idlywood would comment here. I went to help my brother in Idylwood. A huge pine tree they had pulled up their water line! This nabe was not a good place to be. Snapped many pictures for historical/insurance reasons. If you drive down Lawndale near Gus Wortham Golf Course, you can still see where the huge trees literally crashed into bedroom windows (ala Poltergeist film). Epworth Methodist Church at Dismuke/Telephone lost the whole brick facade due to high winds (bizarre). There were many home made of brick that were crushed by large branches.

Power line still dangle at dangerous angles in our area. Pretty much an obstacle course. Many power lines simply lay on the ground like no big deal. When night draws power lines cannot be seen by tall autos. Very scary. Best example is behind Villa de Matel Convent. At least 4-5 poles lay on ground with not one "warning" flag or cone. Our lights flicker or dim on and off, kind of scary. Lawson street is still has a huge tree blocking traffic, that one took down the light post, speed sign and heavy power lines. Media did a very poor job of covering this part of town. At least the immediate aftermath. Not one TV crew to be seen anywhere. :angry::)

Any Eastwooders (?) care to comment..

Idylwood did get ravaged by the storm, both in tree loss/damage and in flooding along MacGregor Way. I was there on Saturday helping my former neighbor clean up her yard, and I could barely stomach the drive-through, it is that sad.

Eastwood south of Leeland fared pretty well. Downed trees, but the lights are back on for the majority of residents (except my neighbors) and I don't believe we ever lost water. The older sections north of Leeland is more treed, and got hit pretty hard. Certain streets (like Walker) are, I believe, still totally without power.

My concern about our area is two-fold: (1) That some residents either don't have proper insurance, or don't have the money to meet their insurance deductible (ours is 2% for named storms) and damaged properties will deteriorate or meet with ill-fitted repairs, or that (2) awful-looking remodels will take place that will further ruin the historic look of the neighborhood.

Idylwood did get ravaged by the storm, both in tree loss/damage and in flooding along MacGregor Way. I was there on Saturday helping my former neighbor clean up her yard, and I could barely stomach the drive-through, it is that sad.

Eastwood south of Leeland fared pretty well. Downed trees, but the lights are back on for the majority of residents (except my neighbors) and I don't believe we ever lost water. The older sections north of Leeland is more treed, and got hit pretty hard. Certain streets (like Walker) are, I believe, still totally without power.

My concern about our area is two-fold: (1) That some residents either don't have proper insurance, or don't have the money to meet their insurance deductible (ours is 2% for named storms) and damaged properties will deteriorate or meet with ill-fitted repairs, or that (2) awful-looking remodels will take place that will further ruin the historic look of the neighborhood.

Eastwood north of Leeland, and especially north of Polk, look much like the rest of the east end Vertigo describes.

Clean up will take a long time, and it won't be pretty for the reasons you outline above. Home maintenance around here is non existent in a lot of cases; people just can't afford it. The tree damage is significant, in part, because people don't maintain their trees. It is a big expense to get a good aborist to do it properly. I'm fairly convinced one of the reasons I escaped major damage is because after moving in, my first expense was thinning out the 100+ foot sweet gum and pecan on my property. Most of the big limbs in my yard were from the water oaks along the street that the city allegedly maintains. One thing that irritates me is people who know better, and cheap out on their rental properties when it comes to roofing jobs (nailing new shingles over old and calling it done).

2% deductible for named storms? Highway robbery! So, a freak unnamed thunderstorm, or a tornado, doing similar damage to a roof would only cost the standard 1%? <_<

Thats exactly what I did, as soon as moved in I got rid of the very big aged old trees. No more leaves clogging gutters and grass all grew back. There were several tilting my way from a next door neighbor that was kind enough to remove before a disaster such as this occurred.

Everyone take a good look at all of the downed and cut trees. Take a good look at the middle...hollow and rotting. So we must have 60% of rotting trees just waiting to fall at any time, any place on anyone.

The extremely tall pines...nice to look at but can kill. The one across the street must have soared 4 stories up, no joke. Anytime we had visitors first thing they say is wow that is going to come down hard one day. We just never knew what direction. It fell on all 3 of the owners SUV's and the top crashed on the fence and next door nabes 2nd story.

Our queen palms now all tilt to the East and so does the downed fence. It was a good thing I boarded up but on most of East/South side of home. This (madre fanculo Ike) gust hit us from the West. The sound was really bizarro. :mellow:

2% deductible for named storms? Highway robbery! So, a freak unnamed thunderstorm, or a tornado, doing similar damage to a roof would only cost the standard 1%? <_<

Glad to hear you have electricity again!

We have 1% as the standard deductible, but our policy states 2% as a Tropical Cyclone deductible. We have Nationwide, and so are not sure if this deductible is standard or not. We had to really insurance-shop because we have a concrete-asbestos roof and not too many companies will insure a house with that material.

Archived