East End/EaDo Real Estate

I would venture to say that this was about a $90 to $100k renovation. Alot of work done on this one.

Yeah...I bet they went wild on spending to start with on this one, and then had to cut back at the end.

There appears to be a pot fill spigot in the kitchen, but the appliances are el-cheap-o, but what's even worse is the cabinets look like standard issue cheap ass crap. One bathroom has vessel sinks, the other has this...which I saw at Home Despot or Lowes the other day, complete with mirror, for I think $80. CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP.

hr1853038-10.jpg

• Replies 569
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah...I bet they went wild on spending to start with on this one, and then had to cut back at the end.

There appears to be a pot fill spigot in the kitchen, but the appliances are el-cheap-o, but what's even worse is the cabinets look like standard issue cheap ass crap. One bathroom has vessel sinks, the other has this...which I saw at Home Despot or Lowes the other day, complete with mirror, for I think $80. CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP.

hr1853038-10.jpg

Caulk and Paint make a carpenter what he ain't !

Well at least it's got curb appeal...

http://www.har.com/1393436

I remember seeing this house on HAR for $55K at this time last year. It was in terrible shape, and it sat unsold for months. I considered buying it to re-do it, but the condition, combined with the fact that it sat on the market so long, caused me to think that it might have irreparable structural problems. I figured any potential buyers were going to demolish it, but the fact that it was priced over lot value at 55K was preventing this and causing it to sit unsold. When it finally sold, I figured that it was toast, either the victim of the bulldozer or a really cheesy remodel.

Anyway, I was really encouraged to see it on HAR again, especially at the price they're asking! I guess the East End really is turning around...

That's one of the ones I was strongly considering buying "as is" and moving to my property as an extra and would look great next to my turn of the century home. I wanted to raise it up and add a dramatic curved staircase as in Galveston Victorians. Oh well I was just amazed and happy :) to see that someone caught on to the idea of saving these rarities in our area. Get em while you can folks, cause they is a dissapearring quick!

hr1853038-10.jpg

Yeah, I'm not really crazy about the interior either. (hardwoods in a bathroom = really bad idea!) However, I'm glad that someone at least had the vision to save this house and make a positive contribution to the area. Even with the cheap kitchen, this house will attract the upscale buyers that so many people in the East End are hoping for, whereas very few people would touch this house prior to the remodel. Besides, I'm sure some future owner will change stuff on the interior to fit their individual tastes.

DantheMan, I'm ashamed to say that I really liked the wood flooring in the bathroom. In fact, it inspired me to do the same someday. But I guess the ever present moisture would simply cause the wood to warp and buckle over time.

Ah well, there's always linoleum!

Sorry, I don't mean to discourage you, MLS. ;)

I have seen some very striking bathrooms with hardwoods, but they require a lot of maintenance to ensure that they stay dry. If you really want wood floors in your bathroom, I would make sure that there is adequate ventilation in the room, then probably do tile in the areas immediately adjacent to a tub or shower, where water tends to drip off of people. A frequently-changed bathmat can also be added as another layer of insurance.

We have hardwoods in our kitchen. While they look really nice (especially with the wood cabinets), they have suffered from some water damage in the area between the sink and dishwasher, due to water dripping off of dishes while they are being put in the dishwasher. A stone or tile border around the whole room at the base of the cabinets would have prevented this. Oh well, live and learn...

I am almost sure I saw the realtor name that remodeled this and that explains the cheap, cheap, cheap costs involved. I have no kind words to say about this assumed realtor but they have some serious ethical issues to deal with. I wont be surprised if the unassuming new owner falls through that imitation flooring. I'll leave it at that.

There are many people in this neighborhood that know who this sneek is. Beware :(

I am almost sure I saw the realtor name that remodeled this and that explains the cheap, cheap, cheap costs involved. I have no kind words to say about this assumed realtor but they have some serious ethical issues to deal with. I wont be surprised if the unassuming new owner falls through that imitation flooring. I'll leave it at that.

There are many people in this neighborhood that know who this sneek is. Beware :(

Would that be the same person who is mentioned in this ad??

The MLS listing doesn't disclose the fact that the owner is an agent...OOOPSIE.

Sorry, I don't mean to discourage you, MLS. ;)

I have seen some very striking bathrooms with hardwoods, but they require a lot of maintenance to ensure that they stay dry. If you really want wood floors in your bathroom, I would make sure that there is adequate ventilation in the room, then probably do tile in the areas immediately adjacent to a tub or shower, where water tends to drip off of people. A frequently-changed bathmat can also be added as another layer of insurance.

We have hardwoods in our kitchen. While they look really nice (especially with the wood cabinets), they have suffered from some water damage in the area between the sink and dishwasher, due to water dripping off of dishes while they are being put in the dishwasher. A stone or tile border around the whole room at the base of the cabinets would have prevented this. Oh well, live and learn...

Tile is always best in the kitchen and bathrooms. I know you knew that bfore hand Dan, but I also know that the wood looked BADASS ! when you were installing it. ;) I can't blame you. And for everyone else, never, ever, ever, put carpet in your water closet (throne room). I don't care how careful you are and how good an AIM you might think you are, you will regret it. Just a little advice from your Uncle TJ.

To reiterate, it is an agency not an individual in whom I referenced. Not singling out any 1 person here. The building is in the vicinity. Fin.

Tile is always best in the kitchen and bathrooms. I know you knew that bfore hand Dan, but I also know that the wood looked BADASS ! when you were installing it. ;) I can't blame you. And for everyone else, never, ever, ever, put carpet in your water closet (throne room). I don't care how careful you are and how good an AIM you might think you are, you will regret it. Just a little advice from your Uncle TJ.

Yep. I remember carpet was the standard floor covering for the bathrooms when we bought our house. Perry knew they were going to sell a lot of tile upgrades on those houses. Ah well, I shouldn't delicate flower. They kept the price per SF about 30 bucks less than surrounding new construction. Couldn't have afforded the house otherwise.

Yep. I remember carpet was the standard floor covering for the bathrooms when we bought our house. Perry knew they were going to sell a lot of tile upgrades on those houses. Ah well, I shouldn't delicate flower. They kept the price per SF about 30 bucks less than surrounding new construction. Couldn't have afforded the house otherwise.

They do it in Pioneer and Plantation Homes also. BLEH ! If you come across this when buying a previously owned home, make sure to either get an allowance for this little nasty project, or have them replace that part of the house with tile before you buy. Believe me, you will thank me later.

It's certainly a cute house, though. My only problem is with the lawn. I figure if you go through the process of upgrading the home from its previous downtrodden state, the landscaping should look a lot better than what's shown.

Maybe they've since taken care of that but it would be pretty weird, IMO, if they didn't.

MAN, I was thinking the same thing, $400 bucks for a couple of pallets of grass ? New sod would make a world of difference, or at the very least a little landscaping, this just looks like land scraped. Thanks for pointing that out Hizzy. ROCK ON !

Either way that house was a dump and now it looks great. Could some changes have been made that would have benefited it? Sure but the fact that someone walked up to the plate and took on this challenge generates a lot of kuddo's from me.

In regards to landscaping they may be running into the same problem I have. The rain and more rain that we have received in the past 6 weeks. It has set me back and my landscapers tractor has sunk twice in the back yard trying to regrade. The gumbo soil at my house will suck your boots right off of you.

Anyhow again well done to the owner/flipper, that street has one less eyesore on it as does the East End. One house at a time.

Scharpe St Guy

MAN, I was thinking the same thing, $400 bucks for a couple of pallets of grass ? New sod would make a world of difference, or at the very least a little landscaping, this just looks like land scraped. Thanks for pointing that out Hizzy. ROCK ON !

i look at it this way, at least the new homeowner can do what they want vs buying something with plants that they dont like.

i look at it this way, at least the new homeowner can do what they want vs buying something with plants that they dont like.

as far as landscaping, i agree - sometimes it's nice to have a clean palette to work with (unless, of course, you hate gardening)

Either way that house was a dump and now it looks great. Could some changes have been made that would have benefited it? Sure but the fact that someone walked up to the plate and took on this challenge generates a lot of kuddo's from me.

In regards to landscaping they may be running into the same problem I have. The rain and more rain that we have received in the past 6 weeks. It has set me back and my landscapers tractor has sunk twice in the back yard trying to regrade. The gumbo soil at my house will suck your boots right off of you.

Anyhow again well done to the owner/flipper, that street has one less eyesore on it as does the East End. One house at a time.

Scharpe St Guy

That's a good point. I also notice houses in places like Golfcrest, Park Place and Santa Rosa with similar problems. After a good rain, it's like everything seems to sink a half-inch or so.

CURB APPEAL, they have already spent $100k, what's another grand ? Would you buy a new car that had a dent in the fender ?

CURB APPEAL, they have already spent $100k, what's another grand ? Would you buy a new car that had a dent in the fender ?

IMO a grand wouldn't be enough i.e. the fender would still be dented. i do understand your comment. i think there are many buyers who look at things superficially. when you do a major remodeling, it is amazing at how your perspective changes on other properties. other projects just don't seem as ominous.

IMO a grand wouldn't be enough i.e. the fender would still be dented.

I can see that, I forget that everyone won't get the same type of deal that I would get, because of a few hookups from my building days. I think you could still make $1000 go along way at Houston Garden Center.

I can see that, I forget that everyone won't get the same type of deal that I would get, because of a few hookups from my building days. I think you could still make $1000 go along way at Houston Garden Center.

sorry but i had edited my other post. 1k would make a difference but for me, the aestethics of the yard wouldn't influence my decision. for me, the yard drainage would be a more important factor for an old home.

To add to your previous comment. That is exactly how potential buyers look at properties. They look at the current owner's things in there and go eeeeeewwwwwwwwwwww!!! They cannot visualize their own crappy stuff in there for some reason. That is why New Homes get the models "staged" so nicely, then they go, "WOW! my new home is gonna look like this too!" It is hilarious.

To add to your previous comment. That is exactly how potential buyers look at properties. They look at the current owner's things in there and go eeeeeewwwwwwwwwwww!!! They cannot visualize their own crappy stuff in there for some reason. That is why New Homes get the models "staged" so nicely, then they go, "WOW! my new home is gonna look like this too!" It is hilarious.

exactly...all superficial. i saw a model recently where the kitchen pantry door was opening the wrong way. I asked the rep and she said noone ever pointed that out before. things like that really stick out to me.

Yeah, I'm not really crazy about the interior either. (hardwoods in a bathroom = really bad idea!) However, I'm glad that someone at least had the vision to save this house and make a positive contribution to the area. Even with the cheap kitchen, this house will attract the upscale buyers that so many people in the East End are hoping for, whereas very few people would touch this house prior to the remodel. Besides, I'm sure some future owner will change stuff on the interior to fit their individual tastes.

As a long-time resident of Eastwood and one who has restored many homes in the area, I take great exception to the catty comments regarding the house on the corner of Bell and Dumble (no, it is not one of my restorations). Anyone who comes into this neighborhood and sinks the money that was put into that house--close to $100,000--should be congratulated, not given petty criticisms about the stupid bathroom sinks. If you think you can do better--and make a profit--come, buy a house and see how difficult it really is. Until then--keep your opinions to yourself. Most of you on this site are armchair quarterbacks who've never done anything to preserve a neighborhood. So my suggestion is that you put your money where you mouth is. AND thank the people who are doing their best to preserve Eastwood and the surrounding neighborhoods rather than scraping the lots and building the junk we see in Montrose and The Heights.

Amen,

Especially for the small time restorers or flippers sinking quite a bit of money into a questionable home to fix it up and hopefully sell to recapture funds and produce a small profit is a big enterprise. I'm on my third investment home now

Purchase Price

Purchase Costs (Closing Costs/Inspections/Escrows/Survey/etc...)

Renovation Costs (Lumber, Sheetrock, Paint, Labor, Fixtures, etc...)

Holding Costs (Mortgage or Loan Payment, Taxes, Insurance, Electric, Water, Gas)

Sales Closing Costs (Brokers Commissions, Title Insurance, misc fees)

Your Partner Uncle Sam (~30% of Profit)

Your Profit/Loss

It can become very tight and very scary so kudo's to those who undertake these homes.

Scharpe St Guy

As a long-time resident of Eastwood and one who has restored many homes in the area, I take great exception to the catty comments regarding the house on the corner of Bell and Dumble (no, it is not one of my restorations). Anyone who comes into this neighborhood and sinks the money that was put into that house--close to $100,000--should be congratulated, not given petty criticisms about the stupid bathroom sinks. If you think you can do better--and make a profit--come, buy a house and see how difficult it really is. Until then--keep your opinions to yourself. Most of you on this site are armchair quarterbacks who've never done anything to preserve a neighborhood. So my suggestion is that you put your money where you mouth is. AND thank the people who are doing their best to preserve Eastwood and the surrounding neighborhoods rather than scraping the lots and building the junk we see in Montrose and The Heights.

Thank you for that lovely rant, FussyBritches of Eastwood.

Purchase Price

Purchase Costs (Closing Costs/Inspections/Escrows/Survey/etc...)

Renovation Costs (Lumber, Sheetrock, Paint, Labor, Fixtures, etc...)

Holding Costs (Mortgage or Loan Payment, Taxes, Insurance, Electric, Water, Gas)

Sales Closing Costs (Brokers Commissions, Title Insurance, misc fees)

Your Partner Uncle Sam (~30% of Profit)

Your Profit/Loss

It can become very tight and very scary so kudo's to those who undertake these homes.

Well...let's run the numbers, shall we?

This property was bought on 10/16/2006 for $40-50k.

$50k total to get into it.

Everybody on the thread seems to be tossing out $100k as costs to renovate, so we'll go with that.

Total of $150k

Holding costs...interest only payments from a hard money lender on $150k @ 16% are $1333 times 4 payments comes to $5332, tack on an extra $1700 for other stuff such as insurance utilities, etc

Now we're up to $157k

Closing costs...we'll say 3% plus an extra thousand...they won't take a 6% haircut from the fluffy bunnys because the owner appears to be an agent as well...at least so said the Craigslist posting for this property

That brings us up to $163k

Now we sell it...let's put a big discount from the asking price in there...say it sells for $205k

So now we're looking at a difference of $42k

Lop off income taxes...we'll use 30%

That leaves $29.4k...you're right...that's REAL scary. I don't know how anybody could survive on $6k a month after taxes.

Archived