East End/EaDo Real Estate

A demographic change to more white people on the east side ? It would take a huge amount of white people to do that, since every time Ive gone over to the east side it seemed predominanently hispanic, (probably 75-80% hispanic, and 10+% black and just a fraction of whites).

Claritas estimates that 91% are Hispanic or Latino. Whites comprise 5%. Blacks comprise 3%. Of course, Claritas bases its estimates on 2000 Census data, which doesn't reflect recent changes very well. So my own estimates would put the white population closer to 8% or 9%, probably not above 9%.

It is important to recognize, though, that just because 91% of people may be Hispanic or Latino, doesn't mean that there are that many Hispanic or Latino households. This is because white and black households tend to have fewer people in them.

• Replies 569
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If an "outsider" moves in, you have to try an get along with those who are already there first.

i don't see the anglos as a problem, but i would narrow it down to people with the i'm better than you attitude.

don't know if the yuppies kicked them out, or the "cool people" left willingly. i think it was the latter. the montrose "hip" factor is fading quickly.

I'm just thinking back to my college days, when the Montrose was filled with dive bars and punks and freaks. The biggest party of the year was the Westheimer Freak, errr, Street Festival.

When the yuppies and townhomes moved in, they started complaining about the folks who already lived in the neighborhood...they killed the Westheimer Street Festival a long time ago.

It was a non-racial gentrification that occured in the Montrose about 15 years ago.

There have been a couple of articles in the Houston Press lately about noise complaints at Helios and Walters on Washington. Apparently people have moved in near these long-established venues and then have the audacity to complain that people are playing music on the weekends! No $#%&!!! :wacko:

The same types of folks that cleaned up the Heights are moving East and they're not just white. 99% of the houses over here are over 50 years old so the supply is large and the best ones are naturally getting snatched up first. My neighborhood is full of project houses from the 30s and 40s from 65K to 100K.

I foresee certain neighborhoods maintaining their historic and architectural integrity over the years but there will be a lot of demolition too, as there is little community interest or involvement in the poorer Hispanic areas plus, a lot of the housing stock is wrecked and lower end. The Magnolia Park area north of Harrisburg could be another Rice Military type townhouse cluster. There is so much land that will easily yield to developers on the East End that the entry level townhome might be the predominant architectural style in a decade or so. And, expect some "affordable housing" projects to get plopped down at taxpayer expense too.(Prop F passed).

A demographic change to more white people on the east side ? It would take a huge amount of white people to do that, since every time Ive gone over to the east side it seemed predominanently hispanic, (probably 75-80% hispanic, and 10+% black and just a fraction of whites).

ya this is more what I was refering to...

There have been a couple of articles in the Houston Press lately about noise complaints at Helios and Walters on Washington. Apparently people have moved in near these long-established venues and then have the audacity to complain that people are playing music on the weekends! No $#%&!!! :wacko:

guess if they can't stop the train horns they have to complain about the neighborhood establishments. anyone want to open a cantina with me?

• 4 weeks later...

??? Don't understand Marty???

It's not my listing, I just live in the neighborhood, saw a good deal in an emerging neighborhood and shared the info. Should I have gone about this some how differently for you?

Scharpe St Guy

Buy some ad space on Bulletin Board "Houston Architecture Information Forum"

It's not my listing, I just live in the neighborhood, saw a good deal in an emerging neighborhood and shared the info. Should I have gone about this some how differently for you?

Scharpe St Guy

Why don't you put this in the classified ads next time. no i'm not going to report you to a moderator like some people do. :lol::lol::lol:;)

Unless a Moderator or the Editor or others concur with you I will continue to post homes that are interesting within the section that applies. I have no financial gain or interest in this property so it's not mine to sell. Those of us interested in the East End enjoy seeing new deals/homes come available so that we can possibly introduce friends or family to the neighborhood.

You need to relax Marty and take a breather, All the Best,

Scharpe St Guy

Why don't you put this in the classified ads next time. no i'm not going to report you to a moderator like some people do. :lol::lol::lol:;)

Scharpe St Guy

You acted in the spirit of HAIF. You offered information regarding a potential renovation in the East End. One day I may choose to offer up renovated properties in my neighborhood in order to enhance the value of near-town living. When that happens, I'd be pleased to offer Marty first shot.

Unless fuzzy photography is its friend & it looks a lot worse in person, that looks like a good deal for somebody.

Uggh. You're right. I've never understood why people will put so much time, effort, and money into selling their home, but then think any old picture taken with a camera phone is going to help them. If you're going to spend $20-50k in repairs and improvements to attract buyers, dropping less than $500 on some decent pictures would seem to be a no-brainer.

Flipper,

Not sure of the work required on this one and depending on how nice you make it I would think it could sell for between $145-$175,000.

Then how much can you knock off that price, would love to see you enter into the neighborhood and fix up a home over here.

Thanks,

Scharpe St Guy

Have many people been able to sell "improved" properties for much more than this one is listed for in Broadmoor?

fliipper

Hey the first house I did was 6434 Pinehurst in Houston Country Club! :)

pinefrontafter.jpg

pinekitchen2after.jpg

pinefireafter.jpg

pinebathafter.jpg

Flipper,

Not sure of the work required on this one and depending on how nice you make it I would think it could sell for between $145-$175,000.

Then how much can you knock off that price, would love to see you enter into the neighborhood and fix up a home over here.

Thanks,

Scharpe St Guy

Hey the first house I did was 6434 Pinehurst in Houston Country Club! :)

pinefrontafter.jpg

pinekitchen2after.jpg

pinefireafter.jpg

pinebathafter.jpg

I know that house. It sold in the $160's a few years ago, then just sold again as a foreclosure for $149,900. Whoever got it this last round stole it. I sold one across the street for full asking of $154,900 that was no where near the condition of this house.

I know that house. It sold in the $160's a few years ago, then just sold again as a foreclosure for $149,900. Whoever got it this last round stole it. I sold one across the street for full asking of $154,900 that was no where near the condition of this house.

I'm the one who got 163k for it, which was unheard of in HCC at that time.

When we remodeled it it got: new windows, new HVAC, new wiring, alot of new plumbing, new bathroow, new kitchen.

I was sad to see that the woman we sold it to got foreclosed on.

I just flipped through the befores and afters on your web site. You sure do like to paint brick!!

Yeah, we tend to paint the brick unless we just really like the color like we did on the Pinehurst house. It's really hard to get a big WOW factor with a plain brick house with fresh trim paint.

flipper

Too bad the next street over is Telephone. That'll probably make for commercial-ish neighbors in the backyard.

Similar houses in the Heights and Montrose areas also have "commercial-ish" neighbors in their back and side yards. Still, these properties apparently have appeal for some of us confirmed "Inner Loopers". A tall, solid fence works wonders in screening out sights and intrusions.

Look what's back on the market, just down the street. Lower price than last time it was listed, too. Although I fear the stucco isn't original and could cause major moisture issues if it wasn't properly done.

Oh...and on the subject of backing up to commercial property....there's a big difference in backing up to something like Onion Creek Cafe in the Heights or Montrose versus backing up to Jose's Taco Emporium and Rat Sales in the ghetto.

Does anyone know Will Clark? I have put 4 offers now on a property he has listed, not the one in Broadmoor and getting anything out of him is impossible. Not sure if he is trying to protect me for some odd reason because he knows something negative about the area or house or what. The property i'm speaking of has also been lowered in price 3 times since my initial offer which was full price.

Very frustrating but the extra time to take care of other projects will either expose a new home to bid on or a better price on the one i'm looking at.

Scharpe St Guy

ps... Flipper purchase that home in Broadmoor for $44,000. I'm sure you could beat the bank up on the price and do a great remodel.

Look what's back on the market, just down the street. Lower price than last time it was listed, too. Although I fear the stucco isn't original and could cause major moisture issues if it wasn't properly done.

Oh...and on the subject of backing up to commercial property....there's a big difference in backing up to something like Onion Creek Cafe in the Heights or Montrose versus backing up to Jose's Taco Emporium and Rat Sales in the ghetto.

ps... Flipper purchase that home in Broadmoor for $44,000. I'm sure you could beat the bank up on the price and do a great remodel.

There must be some scary problems with that house at 44K in Broadmoor. At least there's carpet and not ceramic tile on the wood floors, it would appear.

I really like Broadmoor. It's still cheap, it's got snug neighborhood lines and is quietly going from ghetto to gold.

Archived