Incarnate Word Academy At 609 Crawford St.

Houston19514

Haha, hilarious going from that NYC pic of a massive metropolis and an unbelievable cluster of buildings to the next page with the sea of parking lots that was (still is, although less so) Houston. 

We've made great progress, but still have a long way to go. 

• Like 6

Are we to understand all of those blocks used to have New Orleans style buildings on them, ala Market Square? Or were they warehouses?

Based off aerials from the past, a combination of smaller warehouses and 1-2 story buildings. I'd assume it looks pretty similar to the way Wayside @ Navigation looks now. 

• Like 1

While I have no evidence to back it up, my assumption is that this area was never really densely populated prior to that infamous photo and probably contained some private residences and mostly undeveloped land. Had this photo shown a bunch of grassy fields it would have been less jolting. It was the decision to just pave it all that is the disturbing part. But I've never seen any evidence demolitions of priceless architecture on a massive scale to get it to this point. Feel free to correct me if I'm mistaken. 

In regards to the block in question, it does appear there were some previous older structures that were demolished. I would like to try to find a close up picture that shows a close up of the site with all the original buildings.

Much of the area used to be Quality Hill which was a residential neighborhood. Think houses like the Cohn House and the Foley House which were going to be part of the Nau Center.

To the extent this map from 1873 is a accurate depiction of downtown at the time, you can see the Annunciation Church and the area that is currently Union Station and MMP (click to zoom). Quality Hill would have been slightly North of here. 

post-60-0-01070900-1427829120_thumb.jpg

In the second image, we can see the modern boundaries of downtown. As you move South from Annunciation into the area that is highlighted in the 1970s photo, you can see it becomes quite a bit more rural, maybe even farmland. Although this is well before everything was paved over, it's unlikely that this became a dense residential neighborhood at any point. 

post-60-0-34406600-1427829379_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Much of the area used to be Quality Hill which was a residential neighborhood. Think houses like the Cohn House and the Foley House which were going to be part of the Nau Center.

Quality Hill, usually considered Houston’s first homogenous neighborhood, developed in the Second Ward, near present-day Minute Maid Park. It attracted Houstonians who had acquired wealth in their mercantile and cotton businesses. The largest house in the neighborhood belonged to the William J. Hutchins family. Quality Hill remained a desirable residential enclave until commercial activities began to encroach on the area. The Hutchins remained in their home on Franklin at Caroline until 1914. By 1930, all of the dwellings were gone.

Looks like we are both correct. Initially yes, a lovely neighborhood with many houses, and eventually turned into small offices/businesses, and then subsequently torn down for the grand Houston Center project (which is where the picture comes into play).

I really want to know who made the decision to built downtown roads with 45 degree...

You can thanks the Allen brothers for that, probably, also why there are large ships in the bayou in the photo toxtethogrady posted.

• Like 1

Please tell me this is some kind of bizarre joke.  The Public Storage analogy is so apt.  This is so ugly and cheap-looking. 

8073425.JPG

It's actually above my expectations, considering the two buildings on either side. In fact, for architecture that blends in with those two buildings and on the budget of a small school, I would say that this is about the best design I could have possibly expected.

That said, it's a tragedy to lose the Clayton building. Made me quite upset to hear about it. I wish they had cried for help years ago and gotten some benefactors from the local philanthropic community. The one solace is that the most important historic building on the block - the church itself - continues to grace the neighborhood.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

A developer definitely needs to name a building or a project in this area Quality Hill. Don't let some home builder steal it for Tomball.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

A lot of progress has been made on the steel structure recently.  Not sure if it's topped out but I doubt it will go much higher if it isn't.

Also, I don't know if there's a thread for it, but you can see that the new People's Trust Federal Credit Union headquarters (the building in the background on the other side of 59) has made a lot of progress, too, since my last update, with the exterior now apparently complete:

0m1UHOv.jpg

• Like 7

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...