Buffalo Bayou Master Plan

houstonfella

Very nice.

Once upon a time that was most assuredly not a good place for an evening stroll.  I'm pretty thick skinned about places others might think are sketchy, but the Bayou at night was too skeevy even for me unless there was some sort of event going on.

Someone, someday will have to explain to me just how the "moon phase" lighting effect is supposed to work.  Does the lighting change with the changing phases of the moon?  If so, how?  Or, does the white and blue light effects represent the light and dark sides of the moon?  I just can't figure it out. 

The white primary lights on the poles are always on at night.  Depending on the phase of the moon, a decorational blue light on the top of the poles may also light up.  Where the path goes under Memorial just west of the bend in the bayou, the lighting attached to the bridge is either white or blue depending on the moon phase.

• Like 1

Someone, someday will have to explain to me just how the "moon phase" lighting effect is supposed to work. Does the lighting change with the changing phases of the moon? If so, how? Or, does the white and blue light effects represent the light and dark sides of the moon? I just can't figure it out. [/qiuote]

www.buffalobayou.org/BB_Phase2.pdf.pdf

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Someone, someday will have to explain to me just how the "moon phase" lighting effect is supposed to work. Does the lighting change with the changing phases of the moon? If so, how? Or, does the white and blue light effects represent the light and dark sides of the moon? I just can't figure it out. [/qiuote]

www.buffalobayou.org/BB_Phase2.pdf.pdf

Sounds like the proposal is that they install lights that cycle between white and blue on a 29 day lunar cycle, with the bluest shade during the new moon and the whitest shade during full moons.

Thanks August. Are these the blue lights on the tops of the Trail lights, do you think/understand? Or do the under-bridge light effects also follow the lunar cycle?

I got the impression from reading the doc that they intended this to be an overall effect, even suggesting that eventually other areas like downtown be tied into it.  I haven't done anything other than skim through the proposal.  Is this something that has actually been approved and/or implemented?

I got the impression from reading the doc that they intended this to be an overall effect, even suggesting that eventually other areas like downtown be tied into it.  I haven't done anything other than skim through the proposal.  Is this something that has actually been approved and/or implemented?

Yes, it includes the under-bridge lighting.   It was implemented in 2006 on the Sabine to Bagby Promenade section of the Buffalo Bayou.  It has now been implemented on at least parts of the Shepherd to Sabine section.

Edited by Houston19514

Trudy Smith spokesperson for Buffalo Bayou spoke at Neartown (great presentation) related that the Brown Foundation will be funding the conversion of the 1927 Houston Waterworks underground cistern ( cathedral?) into an art space.

That is fantastic! I wanted James Turrell to convert it into some big public art installation. Can't wait to hear more about it.