Nau Center For Cultural Heritage Museum

j_cuevas713

actually, i think that it would be most wonderful.. if they would have designed for the old houses to be contained within a very intimate inner courtyard.  or even have them placed inside the overall structure itself.  upon my most honest view... the old house just looks ridiculous upon the outside front entrance of this most modern structure.

• Like 1

actually, i think that it would be most wonderful.. if they would have designed for the old houses to be contained within a very intimate inner courtyard. or even have them placed inside the overall structure itself. upon my most honest view... the old house just looks ridiculous upon the outside front entrance of this most modern structure.

I think this is a direct result of trying to add too much to this project within its overall site footprint. The original design and orientation was perfect and the historic homes placement on the site fit naturally within the street-grid, making it look and feel like they've always been here. The former design also did a much better job connecting with the neighborhood surroundings too (connecting to Texas Ave rather than turning its back on it)

slide-5-638.jpg?1382563213

slide-2-638.jpg?1382563213

Now that's lost and the Cohn house will be awkwardly repositioned to add classrooms, which will turn its back against Texas Ave. If they wanted to add classroom space, couldn't they use one of the historic houses for this?

Edited by tigereye
  • Like 4

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Houses have moved - although I hope they reposition the Foley house (still on movers). That front porch with its Corinthian columns and double gallery should face the street.

https://twitter.com/thachadwick/status/564221626544185344

Didn't know that back in 1963, Blanche Foley (daughter) bequeathed the William Foley house to Annunciation Catholic Church. With that in mind, it seems fitting the house end up back with the church.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Houses have moved - although I hope they reposition the Foley house (still on movers). That front porch with its Corinthian columns and double gallery should face the street.

https://twitter.com/thachadwick/status/564221626544185344

Didn't know that back in 1963, Blanche Foley (daughter) bequeathed the William Foley house to Annunciation Catholic Church. With that in mind, it seems fitting the house end up back with the church.

Looks like it will face west, though closer to Texas Street than it is currently positioned oriented with a new courtyard behind the church.  Folks driving down Texas should see it fairly prominently.

View-11.jpg

• Like 8

Looks like it will face west, though closer to Texas Street than it is currently positioned oriented with a new courtyard behind the church. Folks driving down Texas should see it fairly prominently.

View-11.jpg

Prominent placement indeed. Since the new church garage will be across Jackson St, I've got no issues with the Foley house's front porch facing the church, forming a mini plaza inbetween. Gives the complex a nice bit of street presence on the Texas Ave side.

View-9.jpg

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

maybe its just me, but am i the only person that thinks that this particular development is a bit ill conceived, as per this area of the houston cbd?  please allow for me to proposition all of our wonderful haifers, to stop and reference all of the gorgeous / magnificent illustrations that our generous and gracious haif photographers have been supplying lately.  (just take a very good look at all of these wonderful photo's throughout these many construction threads)  the whole concept of the NAU CENTER OF CULTURAL HERITAGE just does not seem to fit in with this particular ULTRA VIBRANT district.  (not at this time anyway)

somehow, i get the sense that prospective donors, just were not very interested in this particular development / concept.  the donor's that did graciously extend funds, i think that they did so, because of who mr. nau is as a person, a most wonderful and generous philanthropist.  our fair city of houston is finally blasting off.  the rockets red glare... are now bursting in air!  this is what it feels like whenever i view those magnificent illustrations that our photographers are supplying daily / weekly.  upon my view, downtown houston, is in dire need of cutting edge development.  lively, fun, and state of the art concepts that shall bring in visitors from all over the world to our fair city.  

i sincerely feel that the NAU CENTER OF CULTURAL HERITAGE is a prospective concept for who's time has come and gone.  this particular area of downtown houston, is just begging for something better......     

• Like 2

i agree to an extent. it would have been nice to see the cultural heritage center go into the newly renovated building at Allens Landing. have little historic bayou boat tours recreating the path of the Allen Brothers, or something touristy/neat like that instead of just a couple old houses and a learning center to walk through.

• Like 3

I agree with monarch.  The Nau Center concept and design were very cheesy.  It would make for a fun attraction in a smaller Texas town, but it doesn't belong in the CBD of the nation's fourth largest city.  Imagine this:  An international tourist visits Houston, books a room at the Marriott Marquis, then asks what there is to do here.  S/he is told, "you can either catch a cab to a big shopping mall, take two train lines to the museum district, walk around the adjacent three-block park, or head over to the new cultural center."  Tourist chooses the cultural center and enjoys two rooms of exhibits, half a locomotive, an old house, and a restroom.  That block is prime real estate.  Cloud713 is right.  Something like this, with its current concept, belongs in a historic district. 

• Like 2

Houston needs a soaring downtown monument, and I believe this lot is the perfect place for it.  People spend hundreds or thousands to visit Paris, New York, D.C., heck even Seattle, just to stop by famous tall monuments.  The downtown hotels are in place.  Residential is on the way.  A light rail stop is across the street.  Retail is being set up a block away, along ADLA.  Throw up a 500-1,000 ft. monument that will drag the skyline eastward, give drivers along 59 and I-10 an amazing view, and increase property values in EaDo. 

• Like 3

Houston needs a soaring downtown monument, and I believe this lot is the perfect place for it.  People spend hundreds or thousands to visit Paris, New York, D.C., heck even Seattle, just to stop by famous tall monuments.  The downtown hotels are in place.  Residential is on the way.  A light rail stop is across the street.  Retail is being set up a block away, along ADLA.  Throw up a 500-1,000 ft. monument that will drag the skyline eastward, give drivers along 59 and I-10 an amazing view, and increase property values in EaDo. 

I actually don't see this site as being anything too special. I also always thought this was a weird location to put a museum with its back right against a highway. I would rather it be used for another hotel/retail or residential/retail to bring more foot traffic to this area. I do think that there needs an art museum in downtown somewhere. It needs to be a venue that holds a particular collection that you can't find anywhere else and then open gallery space to show off local pieces of art or showcase up-in-comers. Of course we have places like this in town already, but I think a Downtown venue would be a nice cultural element addition to Downtown. It would be a great addition to this budding retail district that is being planned. If it's a History museum then it should be attached to something historical that ties the museum with the fabric of the area. This Nau Center's only attachment was a single House!

This center has always been a little cheesy to me as well. I didn't find anything about it very innovative or thought provoking and the architecture is very lacking! It was so bland looking. My guess is that the guy really really liked the old houses and wanted to use them in some way and was like.....Cultural Center! Of course! But then really struggled to find out what to add onto the real attraction he liked which were the houses. Your right though this is something you might find in some small Texas town looking for some extra dollars and a place to show some local pride, but my god we have a substantial amount of great museums already. I mean the up coming bike museum is more interesting than this was! This would have simply been a "greatest hits of Houston" museum with an enormous lack in depth.

I'm also very disappointed in the City of Houston for allow this to go through when it was only a 1/3 of the way funded! That just blows my mind. The city has actually been doing very well lately in it's steps to rebuild downtown, the bayous, and other areas, but this is quite the misstep. Very embarrassing.

• Like 4

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Spirit_of_Houston

Google image search spirit of houston statue. Kind of amusing statue, that never got built. 

I don't share the same dislike that others have expressed for this location.  Families coming in from the suburbs for a baseball, basketball, or soccer game could have also gone to this museum afterwards.  And people in town for business or a wedding could spent an hour there if they had some down time (although the museum district is close, I suspect that the perceived difficulty in getting there dissuades people with only an hour or two from trying).    

Also, if this was in the museum district, it would be overshadowed by the bigger attractions and I suspect would not get that much foot traffic.  

You mean like the Texas Spire (I think that's what it was called) from the Main Street Master Plan? It was a tall tower ~1200 - ~1500 ft tower with an observation level at the top, maybe a restaurant, and I think offices near the bottom. Was supposed to be located close to UHD.

I'm sure someone here has a rendering.

• Like 1

Why can't they just scale it back to the original $40 million dollar version ...they'd only be $7 million off and that version looked better anyways. Why does a glorified visitors center need friggin classrooms anyways. You're not building the damn Museum of Natural Science... talk about over thinking it. Too much added, now it's too expensive. Just dumb...

Edited by tigereye
  • Like 1

Why can't they just scale it back to the original $40 million dollar version ...they'd only be $7 million off and that version looked better anyways. Why does a glorified visitors center need friggin classrooms anyways. You're not building the damn Museum of Natural Science... talk about over thinking it. Too much added, now it's too expensive. Just dumb...

Now it won't be finished in time for the Super Bowl, an it'll be an eyesore! Grrrrrr.

Yeah. The article said they were returning all the donations back to the donors. Doesn't sound too reassuring to me.

Doesn't sound reassuring? They've basically cancelled the entire project after all the hooplah, website, renderings, movies, ground breaking, and even site work. But they can't outright say they've cancelled for how foolish it'll look.

Seriously, the is the worst botched project since Metro managed to fumble its designer Central Station, even with funds kicked in by DMD. And Im still pissed about that...

• Like 3

Yeah. The article said they were returning all the donations back to the donors. Doesn't sound too reassuring to me.

Wow! I missed that part... I thought there was some hope for this project but that sounds like a definite dead to me... unless he is thinking prices will go down once the market cools, then he can try his $40 million goal again?

Edited by Triton
  • Like 2