Texaco Building (now The Star) At 1111 Rusk Street

editor

• 3 weeks later...

Based on what we can see now, I'm having a heck of a time trying to figure how they are integrating the building with the garage.

I'm interested to see what else happens to the foundation of the garage portion. I'd bet that will tell whether or not they planned for the tower design.

A plausible (and completely fabricated) scenario exists that the cycle of this project went something like this:

1. Incentives and superheated Houston economy provokes ambitious tower concept

2. Project design works out work needed to restore old side a work commences

3. Project design works out particulars of new tower construction right about the time the economy cools

4. Designers sent back to the drawing board to slash a few million off the garage/tower design.

5. Tower option removed completely in favor of a structure that will support the garage and no more.

Sadly that is probably the case.  However, the current building is still quite tall, and if what we get is just a block that is all that tall (instead of a giant hole) right next to the Metro rail transfer station(s) I'll be happy.  Just glad that the Texaco building survived and wasn't leveled for Skyhouse Rusk or something

• Like 3

Sadly that is probably the case.  However, the current building is still quite tall, and if what we get is just a block that is all that tall (instead of a giant hole) right next to the Metro rail transfer station(s) I'll be happy.  Just glad that the Texaco building survived and wasn't leveled for Skyhouse Rusk or something

Indeed.

I think I found this forum initially when I walked by that hole for the first time and started poking around the internet to find out why there was a giant crater in the middle of downtown. 

Just based on what is actively being built/restored right now, the transformation of that area will be as good of an outcome as one could reasonably expect in terms of renewal.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It was the Gibraltar Savings / Texaco Annex, a small office building.  

Cool, had not seen those.

I was going off of the door that s up against Capitol down in the hole labeled "GARAGE".

They are chipping out a bunch of foundation. It is fairly extensive work going pretty deep.  Makes me wonder if they are working to keep the tower option alive.

Cool, had not seen those.

I was going off of the door that s up against Capitol down in the hole labeled "GARAGE".

They are chipping out a bunch of foundation. It is fairly extensive work going pretty deep.  Makes me wonder if they are working to keep the tower option alive.

Methinks that the "GARAGE" door opens to a tunnel to the garage across Capitol, which appears to be of similar vintage to the now departed annex.

It was the Gibraltar Savings / Texaco Annex, a small office building.  

Cool pictures of the building.  I think I had seen some old B&W photos of it at one point, but it looks like it was a nice small office building - similar in style to the HCC office building in midtown

Drove by here yesterday and it looked like the newer tower (west tower) had interior walls or at least fittings of some kind

Methinks that the "GARAGE" door opens to a tunnel to the garage across Capitol, which appears to be of similar vintage to the now departed annex.

That is correct.  I had sort of assumed that they would rebuild the tunnel through the Gibraltar Savings parcel to reconnect to the garage and Magnolia Hotel.