Third Coast Seafood At 2412 Washington Ave.

houstonray

Can't help but laugh at that one...my wife wanted me to dress a bit more trendy...for lack of a better word...she bought me some skinny jeans....those things were tried on and promptly returned...I don't understand how anyone could possibly be comfortable in a pair of jeans that is literally glued to your ass, thighs, and inner legs....the pitch in my voice went up three octanes in seconds...to top all that off, there is no way you could ever put skinny jeans over the top of a pair of boots...and forget about putting a wallet or keys in your pockets...skinny jeans have no place in my wardrobe.

I don't blame you. I'm a female and I can't wear skinny jeans. They feel weird and they are hardly ever flattering.

• 1 month later...

That can't be good... sounds almost frivolous...

Sounds to me like it would be a simple workman's comp thing and it would all be taken care of that way with little muss or fuss. Its kinda' hard to refute what happened, but to bring in a lawsuit this quickly DOES smell a bit.

It is only a worker's comp issue if the employer subscribes to the worker's comp system. If Sawyer Park is a subscriber, they will be able to have the suit dismissed and go to the commission. If not, Sawyer Park will not have any protection and will have to go through with the state court law suit. The distributor is not the plaintiff's employer and cannot claim the WC bar.

The malice standard can be conscious indifference. Doesn't have to be intentional.

The extent of the injury is a far greater driver of a personal injury lawsuit that the culpability of the defendants. If the plaintiff has permanent damage in his eye or has lost sight in the eye, that would get a much bigger payday at trial than your run of the mill slip and fall/car wreck. And that will get PI attorneys interested even if liability is shakey. At least this guy really did get hurt and isn't faking an injury. I just don't see someone putting glass shards in their eye to get off work and get a settlement.

Plaintiff will argue that the beer truck let the bottles get too hot and the employer should have known that putting warm bottles into ice water can cause an explosion. Defendants will argue that the plaintiff should have known the bottle would explode and bears a percentage of the liability. Insurance defense attorneys will bill up the file and settle out for meds and 2-300k. Plaintiff walks away with 100k after expenses and attorney's fees are paid. Sawyer Park learns that the expense of WC insurance is worth it and are just glad that the bottle didn't explode on a young petroleum engineer making six figures who posted pics of the glass in his eye on his facebook page for all his friends to see.

• Like 2

Worker sues bar after beer bottle explodes, blinding him

By LAUREN MATHIS

Copyright 2011 HOUSTON CHRONICLE

July 14, 2011, 5:40PM

A 19-year-old Houston man who says he was blinded in his right eye after a beer bottle exploded in his face has filed a lawsuit against the Heights area sports bar where the incident allegedly happened.

On June 10 while working at Sawyer Park sports bar on Washington Avenue, Antonio Garcia Tax was loading bottles of Dos Equis in a cooling container, when a bottle exploded after making contact with the ice solution, according to a lawsuit filed this month in Harris County.

The impact sent pieces of the glass bottle directly into Tax's right eye. He was taken to Ben Taub Hospital where he had eye surgery.

Due to Tax's injury, he has not been able to work, the lawsuit said. Waverly Nolley, Tax's lawyer, says they're suing for $3 million.

According to the lawsuit, Tax is suing Sawyer because it owned, possessed and controlled the beer bottle and container that disabled his eye.

The lawsuit alleges Sawyer failed at training employees about safety procedures when loading glass beer bottles.

Officials with the sports bar did not return calls for comment.

Tax is also suing the Houston Distributing Company, for transporting the dangerous and defective bottle to Sawyer, according to court documents.

• 4 years later...

Social Junkie was hot in the beginning with young black crowds but the amount of traffic to there has been down considerably.

The Washington corridor seems to be going towards more restaurants and retail, and less of a nightlife crowd. Midtown and downtown are those hotspots right now.

• Like 1

Bring back the Pig Stand.

The shelf life for these clubs is about 3-4 years.  They print money when they open if they can establish themselves as the hot new club.  People flock to them in hopes of being able to rub elbows with rappers, athletes and high rollers.  Eventually the A list people move on to the next hot new club and interest wanes.  Then, a bouncer breaks someone's nose and the club gets sued.  The owners do not want to put any more money into the club for upkeep because they are saving up to open something new.  The place gets worn out and the crowds go elsewhere.  TABC dings them a couple of times for selling to minors or after hours.  The lease gets more expensive and the owners bail.  I just hope that someone comes along and breaks that life cycle with this location.  Too many nice new things coming to 1st/6th ward to have another big noisy club right in the middle of all the nice new stuff coming in.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, CrockpotandGravel said:

What kinds of problems? Did it cause parking issues because of their horrible valet system? Noise?

48 minutes ago, Triton said:

Oh really?

Parking problems. Drunk patrons causing noise. Lude behavior in the neighborhood (near their cars). One neighbor woke up to find two people having sex on his porch. I live near by, but far enough to not be too affected, but I constantly hear the horror stories. I know of 2 neighbors that have moved because of it. 

2 hours ago, CrockpotandGravel said:

Something is going to replace Social Junkie bar and the building next door. Braun Enterprises acquired the warehouse next to Social Junkie at 1005 Sawyer on the corner of Center St. There's a filing for 1005 Sawyer LLC too. Any ideas what's planned here?

THANK GOD!

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, CrockpotandGravel said:

Braun Enterprises is marketing 2412 Washington Avenue, where Social Junkie is located. It was also Sawyer Park and The Pig Stand.

a8wlAeX.jpg

So excited for something new / better.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • The title was changed to 2412 Washington Avenue
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • The title was changed to Shooting At Sawyer Park Sports Bar On Washington Ave.
  • 10 months later...

9 minutes ago, Avossos said:

So why the bump? Something else happening to the property?

The ability to post back to back is disabled. To create a new comment post in the same topic, you have to wait several minutes before doing so, plus also it took a little longer to edit the photo and upload it to Imgur. That's why I didn't follow up immediately. I had to wait several minutes before I could post again in this topic.

Shell Shack is closed at 2412 Washington Ave. 

I was sent a post about it from a Facebook group discussing the closure yesterday. The below photo is included in the post.

DbiLgt3.jpg

Edited by IntheKnowHouston
  • Like 2

• The title was changed to Shell Shack Restaurant At 2412 Washington Ave.
  • 1 month later...
10 minutes ago, Avossos said:

Looks like this is it...

https://iiibywolfgangpuck.com/

If this is the correct restaurant, it looks like it should be fairly nice!

Wolfgang Puck's restaurant isn't opening at 2412 Washington Ave. Third Coast Seafood is a local restaurant (or bar). I'm thinking it may be a mix of Shell Shack and Social Junkie rolled into one (i.e. a restaurant and club/lounge.)

• Like 1