Third Coast Seafood At 2412 Washington Ave.

houstonray

Somewhere in the Washington street thread I posted a similar rant.

Went there once, never again. Ignored by the bar staff, who were too busy flirting with one another to bother serving us old folks (we're in our 30's) and who were totally rude when we asked to switch a TV to a playoff baseball game. Little did they realize we probably tip WAY better than the posers leaving their leased 3-Series with the valet. (We, OTOH, parked by driving our ancient SUV up and over the curb into the muddy field across the street).

Well, we would have tipped better. Had they actually bothered to care. Anyway.

I much prefer the Dark Horse down the street. Mellow, friendly, and I think you could wear just about anything you'd like at that place!

• Like 1

I went there once for a business function. The upstairs patio has a stellar view, but despite that, it's still not enough to ever make me drink there on my own tab. If a bar employs people to park its patron's cars, it's pretty much not geared towards the chill set. That should have been your first indication that you might prefer some place like Griff's, which most assuredly does not have a dress code.

I'll be the first to admit that the indications you mentioned and that others have discussed should have been enough to let me know that this place is for posers and not what we call a neighborhood friendly bar. Well we all learn...

Ironically, employees that travel to Houston from around the US and overseas for training, meetings, etc., have been frequenting this place the last few months and I am the one that have approved their expense reports for the place!!!!; some reports have been well over a couple of hundred. Naturally, being a resident of the neighborhood, I wanted to find out what this place was all about. Well I know and so do alot of people... you can be sure that employees will know my opinion about this place. Thanks to all on HAIF for your support. Take care and enjoy your weekend.

77007, welcome to 77007.

Thanks 'TheNiche'. I am glad to be on this site and in the Heights neighborhood. Have actually been reading the comments for quite a few years but only started to post towards the end of 2009. You folks have been great :)

I'll be the first to admit that the indications you mentioned and that others have discussed should have been enough to let me know that this place is for posers and not what we call a neighborhood friendly bar. Well we all learn...

Ironically, employees that travel to Houston from around the US and overseas for training, meetings, etc., have been frequenting this place the last few months and I am the one that have approved their expense reports for the place!!!!; some reports have been well over a couple of hundred. Naturally, being a resident of the neighborhood, I wanted to find out what this place was all about. Well I know and so do alot of people... you can be sure that employees will know my opinion about this place. Thanks to all on HAIF for your support. Take care and enjoy your weekend.

As much as I dislike Sawyer Park, I'd recommend you listening to employee input and OFFER different bars.

Little Woodrows

Mucky Duck

Beaver's

Front Porch

Porch Swing

But remember, just because a bar isn't for YOU doesn't mean the bar isn't for THEM.

• Like 1

As much as I dislike Sawyer Park, I'd recommend you listening to employee input and OFFER different bars.

Little Woodrows

Mucky Duck

Beaver's

Front Porch

Porch Swing

But remember, just because a bar isn't for YOU doesn't mean the bar isn't for THEM.

Well said. Thanks.

i find it hard to believe that you live in the area and didn't know what sort of bar this was. in any event, while sawyer park may not be my cup of tea, i think they have a right to enforce their dress code, especially on a thursday night. would it have been okay if i had worn my short running shorts in there on a thursday night? if i had come straight from the gym or a basketball game and not showered?

i find it hard to believe that you live in the area and didn't know what sort of bar this was. in any event, while sawyer park may not be my cup of tea, i think they have a right to enforce their dress code, especially on a thursday night. would it have been okay if i had worn my short running shorts in there on a thursday night? if i had come straight from the gym or a basketball game and not showered?

I don't think he was asking for them to be brought up on charges. They have a right to enforce a no sports clothes at the sportsbar dresscode and he has a right to make a thread complaining about the dumb policy.

I don't frequent the area, so I don't know what to expect of the bar, but...I think if a place advertises itself as a sports bar, then short running shorts should absolutely be acceptable even on a THURSDAY. :o

In my mind, a sports bar's dress code shouldn't be any more strict than that of All-American Burger: "No Shirt, No Shoes, No Dice." Otherwise I will kick 100% of their ass.

• 2 weeks later...

A little birdie told me Sawyer Park is bleeding red seriously because it is not enough business on week days. I am glad to hear that. I know about 15 homeonwers in the 77007 area and everyone hates that place. On the bright side, Liberty Station and the eco-revamped Sugarcane are super cool and very chill. Go there, any day you like. Places like Sawyer Park "Club" will be weeded out soon at least in the mean time, it is better than an abandoned bulding.

Places like Sawyer Park "Club" will be weeded out soon at least in the mean time, it is better than an abandoned bulding.

I'll agree with you about that, but only if you would agree with me that a Wal-Mart store is better than a vacant brownfield site.

A little birdie told me Sawyer Park is bleeding red seriously because it is not enough business on week days. I am glad to hear that. I know about 15 homeonwers in the 77007 area and everyone hates that place. On the bright side, Liberty Station and the eco-revamped Sugarcane are super cool and very chill. Go there, any day you like. Places like Sawyer Park "Club" will be weeded out soon at least in the mean time, it is better than an abandoned bulding.

I'll agree with you about that, but only if you would agree with me that a Wal-Mart store is better than a vacant brownfield site.

LOL

the great coke spray strikes again. :)

I'm actually a little surprised by this. Every time I go or drive by it seems pretty crowded. However, I would imagine the overhead costs run high to operate a place like that.

As much as some people hate it, Houston needs a place like this. I usually bring out-of-towners here for happy hour or a drink to get the night started and it's always a hit with them. Yeah, the crowd is douchey, but whatever it's just a bar. You don't have to mingle.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I don't frequent the area, so I don't know what to expect of the bar, but...I think if a place advertises itself as a sports bar, then short running shorts should absolutely be acceptable even on a THURSDAY. :o

In my mind, a sports bar's dress code shouldn't be any more strict than that of All-American Burger: "No Shirt, No Shoes, No Dice." Otherwise I will kick 100% of their ass.

How ironic... Sawyer Park Sports Bar is promoting a Dodgeball summer season. Wonder what balls they want their clientele to dodge or rather not dodge!!! :blink:

any place that has a valet and a door man cannot be classified as a sports bar, it may be a place that has a bunch of TVs and shows only sports, but a sports bar it ain't.

am I supposed to wear my suit and tie to eat hotwings and drink a bud light? heh, even if I dressed up to go in the place I'd probably be kicked out for asking for hotwings, or for cheering too loudly for my team. No thank you.

I'd personally never go to an upscale bar, which is what Sawyer Park is -- particularly at night -- with the expectation of getting in with basketball shorts on. Come on -- they have to maintain a good atmosphere to keep their desired image in tact. 2 minutes of internet research or even a glance at the clientele prior to entering would have clued you in to the dress code. It sounds like you were embarrassed at the door, but honestly it shouldn't have come as a surprise. Not every bar desires an extremely relaxed dress code, and the ones that don't aren't being unreasonable.

I'd personally never go to an upscale bar, which is what Sawyer Park is -- particularly at night -- with the expectation of getting in with basketball shorts on. Come on -- they have to maintain a good atmosphere to keep their desired image in tact.

Oh, they're definitely keeping their desired image intact. Which is precisely the thrust of this thread. That image is a bad one.

2 minutes of internet research or even a glance at the clientele prior to entering would have clued you in to the dress code. It sounds like you were embarrassed at the door, but honestly it shouldn't have come as a surprise. Not every bar desires an extremely relaxed dress code, and the ones that don't aren't being unreasonable.

A self-professed sports bar that doesn't allow sportswear is being unreasonable, yes.

Oh, they're definitely keeping their desired image intact. Which is precisely the thrust of this thread. That image is a bad one.

A self-professed sports bar that doesn't allow sportswear is being unreasonable, yes.

Are you the owner? Are you the one that takes the financial and emotional hit if the concept fails? Maybe the market will figure out whether the dress code and concept is unreasonable? Looks like a lot of people go there on a regular basis, (I'm not one of them) so guess it's working out so far.

Are you the owner? Are you the one that takes the financial and emotional hit if the concept fails? Maybe the market will figure out whether the dress code and concept is unreasonable? Looks like a lot of people go there on a regular basis, (I'm not one of them) so guess it's working out so far.

You don't have to be the owner of a place to criticize it, especially in a country with free speech like this one. Your "it's popular therefore it's reasonable" is a logical fallacy known as argumentum ad populum. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argumentum_ad_populum

• Like 1

You don't have to be the owner of a place to criticize it, especially in a country with free speech like this one. Your "it's popular therefore it's reasonable" is a logical fallacy known as argumentum ad populum. http://en.wikipedia....ntum_ad_populum

Argumentum ad gym shorts respectability:

richard_simmons.jpg

Thanks for the morning laugh, gto.

kylejack,

while it is true that you don't have to be the owner of a place to criticize it, one’s criticism nevertheless should be warranted. if i went to a mexican restaurant and then flipped out because they didn't have italian food and went on to to tell everyone that i'm embarrassed to have such a mexican restaurant in my city and please spread the word--no one go there, then my criticism would be unreasonable. If i didn’t know it was a Mexican restaurant—that’s on me.

this person's criticism is unreasonable because he should have known where he was going.

and while hole in the walls are fun sports bar, i think you can have a dress code and still call yourself a sports bar.

the Wikipedia link is off point. i will let the poster speak for him or herself, but a plain reading of the post indicates that the poster was just saying that if the market thinks a dress code is a bad idea at a sports bar, then this place will close (not that if the bar remains open it necessarily means that a dress code at a sports bar is correct).