METRORail University Line

ricco67

Great points.. I've always wondered why they don't just do like totheskies says and build the eastern half of the line while we wait for Culberson to be voted out of office or change his mind.

I would love to see the line go in it's current form from the east side up to Yoakum, before turning south across a new arch bridge over 59, and continuing west on the Westpark ROW south of 59 to avoid culberson. The only major stop it will miss IMO is Greenway but they can build a tunnel or elevated skybridge across 59 from the south side over to Greenway Plaza.

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Great points.. I've always wondered why they don't just do like totheskies says and build the eastern half of the line while we wait for Culberson to be voted out of office or change his mind.

I think the reason is simple:  no money.  Even if we got the federal money, I don't think we have the money to fund the local half.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I was thinking about this last night, everyone that is commenting here is thinking about the west end and how to make it work better/different than the original/last proposal.

What about the east end of the line? Most of what I saw the plan was the terminate it at the eastwood transit center, which is at lockwood and 45. 

I hope when this line can be seriously considered again, that they consider not terminating the line at the eastwood transit center (still have a stop there), but to extend it another mile or so to terminate at the green line on harrisburg, or if the railroad track at harrisburg is an issue, terminate it before the track, the walk from that track to the station on harrisburg is very short anyway.

This benefits by creating a connector into that line and making the whole thing a lot more travel friendly.

• Like 1

samagon, a logical extension from the Eastwood TC would be to continue up Lockwood to intersect with the Green line at or near its Lockwood/Eastwood station.  Perhaps cost/benefit gets in the way - IDK.

As it currently stands, the Eastwood Transit Center is seriously underused. A spur from the Green Line along Elgin/Lockwood that terminates at the ETC could very well provide a link with commuter bus lines running from suburbs and towns along I-45.South. At this time, there's still enough property across from the Eastwood Transit Center to build parking lots or a garage for drivers who don't want the expense or hassle of downtown parking. Since the spur would run along a wide, esplanaded street that bisects the UH main campus, the main engineering problem would be getting the light rail tracks over or under the Union Pacific line and I-45.

As it currently stands, the Eastwood Transit Center is seriously underused. A spur from the Green Line along Elgin/Lockwood that terminates at the ETC could very well provide a link with commuter bus lines running from suburbs and towns along I-45.South. At this time, there's still enough property across from the Eastwood Transit Center to build parking lots or a garage for drivers who don't want the expense or hassle of downtown parking. Since the spur would run along a wide, esplanaded street that bisects the UH main campus, the main engineering problem would be getting the light rail tracks over or under the Union Pacific line and I-45.

Yes people like my parents in the suburbs could take a bus there then switch to university line

http://blogs.houstonpress.com/eating/2014/09/openings_closings_170.php

Saturday, September 6, will be the last day for Taqueria La Macro, located at 1822 N Main. The taqueria famous for its tacos al trampo where pork is marinated in pineapple and other citrus juices with chiles then placed vertically on a rotating spit to cook, announced via Twitter that Saturday would be the final day of business. According to the owner and general manager Saul Obregon, La Macro will be moving to the EaDo area by the BBVA Compass Stadium and Warehouse Live. Currently there is construction on the shopping center's suites to make room for La Macro, a coffee shop and a sushi restaurant. Obregon hopes to be up and running in the new location by the end of September or middle of October pending construction and receiving the permit.

"We are closing here because the flow of traffic is non-existent and we are not getting the volume that we need," Obregon says. "Our volume comes from outside of the neighborhood, if that makes sense. They come from the Heights, downtown, basically all over the city except for the neighborhood. And one of the biggest reasons is Metro and the light rail. The light rail really killed us. It literally killed all of the businesses on the North Line area. This Tuesday they just shut down the Hernandez Tunnel by UH Downtown. And it is going to be shut down for nine months to a year. That would literally more than bury us. We rely on the UH crowd so [now that] it's non-existent; it won't be around for more than a year or so."

sorry for the false hope of any new news.

Just was really hoping for someone with a little more knowledge and insight of the topic to chime in and insure that didn't mean this line was dead.

I was talking about this line with my dad who's been an engineer here for 35 years...never bringing Culberson's name up around him again :lol: I didn't know this but he doesn't even live in that area! He lives in cypress!

This line is just one disappointment in a long, long line of disappointments/failures/missed opportunities regarding rail in Houston.  

The most important and highest ridership line in the approved referendum will not get constructed.  Business as usual. 

Heavy rail would be better, but that ain't happenin'! 

• Like 1

With the way the inner city is densifying, we are bound to hear an announcement sometime soon about a rail line (hopefully heavy rail) connecting the rest of the lines to uptown. Once the millennials and generation Z take over, I am sure Houston will finally get the heavy rail that is deserving of a city this size.

This line is just one disappointment in a long, long line of disappointments/failures/missed opportunities regarding rail in Houston.

The most important and highest ridership line in the approved referendum will not get constructed. Business as usual.

Heavy rail would be better, but that ain't happenin'!

My sentiments exactly.

Im gonna be laughing in 20 years when our population has reached unsustainable numbers due to complete and utter gridlock due to the millions upons millions of residents clogging your precious 50 lane freeways because theres no other alternative mode of transportation.

Ill be the first to say "I TOLD you so" :rolleyes:

• Like 1

My sentiments exactly.

Im gonna be laughing in 20 years when our population has reached unsustainable numbers due to complete and utter gridlock due to the millions upons millions of residents clogging your precious 50 lane freeways because theres no other alternative mode of transportation.

Ill be the first to say "I TOLD you so" :rolleyes:

I agree, but "alternative modes of transportation" doesn't necessarily mean mass transit. A great example to that would be why the West Loop backs up...because they completely lack a good north-south arterial (chalk that one up to poor 1960s freeway planning). Freeways aren't meant to carry local traffic like the West Loop does, and when they eventually expand out Kirby to Pearland (if ever), that will also be terrible because the Kirby extensions have been built as subdivision collectors, not main arterials.

I agree, but "alternative modes of transportation" doesn't necessarily mean mass transit. A great example to that would be why the West Loop backs up...because they completely lack a good north-south arterial (chalk that one up to poor 1960s freeway planning). Freeways aren't meant to carry local traffic like the West Loop does, and when they eventually expand out Kirby to Pearland (if ever), that will also be terrible because the Kirby extensions have been built as subdivision collectors, not main arterials.

So you admit freeways aren't meant to carry local traffic

James Cargas, who lives in Southampton near Rice U, is running against Culberson. I've got a yard sign up showing support, but seeing as the majority of the district is rather suburban and sprawls out towards Cypress along 290... good luck. It's a heavily protected ® district.

Culberson would still win even if he came out and claimed the Devil from the South Park movie was his lover.

Culberson is having a "town hall meeting" to discuss what a hero against The Pesident he is on Monday, Sept 22nd. It'd be great if the topic of the meeting was hijacked by rail supporters. He may just get the point. But, doubt it.

QTE

Dear Friend,

I am pleased to announce an upcoming town hall meeting. I hope that you can join me for a discussion about what House conservatives are doing to fight spending and rein in Washington overreach. More importantly, I look forward to hearing and discussing your ideas and suggestions.

Monday, September 22

6:00 - 7:00 pm

Maurice L. Wolfe Elementary School

502 Addicks-Howell Rd.

Houston, TX 77079

The meeting will be held in the school's gymnasium; a map and directions to the school are available online here.

Should you need further assistance, please do not hesitate to call my Houston office at (713) 682-8828. I look forward to talking with you next week.

UNQTE

I hate that he calls me "friend".

• Like 1