ricco67

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 1 month later...

Most people don't vote and the ones who do these days seem to be more highly motivated by fear.  I think that fear is a consequence of being less knowledgeable about the world outside their immediate circle, which makes them easier to manipulate.  This really helps certain politicians to feather their nests.

• Like 1

Culberson's in one of the safest R districts there is, even without artful drawing of lines.  Beginning with Bush The Elder, TX-7 has elected nothing but Republicans ever since the Supreme Court enforced the idea of one person, one vote in the mid '60s and the district was relocated to Houston's western burbs.

Culberson's in one of the safest R districts there is, even without artful drawing of lines.  Beginning with Bush The Elder, TX-7 has elected nothing but Republicans ever since the Supreme Court enforced the idea of one person, one vote in the mid '60s and the district was relocated to Houston's western burbs.

Truth is, if we want an expansion of rail to West Houston, work needs to start now at finding a pro-rail Republican with conservative bona fides to challenge Culberson in 2016. It's unlikely that a Democrat will be winning in that district, so the primary is the real election.

• Like 2

And Sheila Jackson Lee was also safely reelected. It doesn't matter who these people are, they can stay in for years if they're popular with their part of the city. Might be corrupt, but not worth crying yourself to sleep over.

You usually do not have trouble staying on topic.

• Like 1

Culberson will be in office until he decides to step down.  And in his place will be someone with similar ideology. 

METRO could be doing a lot more to build this line. The University Line isn't even on their radar right now, unfortunately. 

To our knowledge, who are the interests that are behind Culberson's staunch opposition to this line?

From the Center for Responsive Politics:

https://www.opensecrets.org/politicians/summary.php?cycle=Career&cid=N00009738&type=I

Drilling down a bit, lots of oil and gas, lots of real estate, lots of transportation (i.e., cars and airplanes).  Lots of bidniss donors, practically none on the labor side.  And of course the Koch brothers.

No surprises here.

• Like 1

Rich people who don't want to think about us middle and lower class plebs being anywhere in their "luxury reserve"

Still, there must be more specific connections in the group than that. For example, is it people opposed to the connection to the Gulfton stop? Is it O&G execs who dislike rail out of ideological principle? Is it wannabe suburbanites in denial about the present?

It would be nice to know exactly who are the interested parties.

Edit: and while I was typing this, mollusk provided some great info. Thanks!

Based on that, it seems like auto dealers are the most directly interested in seeing light rail fail in these areas, along with Realtors (because of the induced demand for higher density/rental housing).

Edited by ADCS

Rich people who don't want to think about us middle and lower class plebs being anywhere in their "luxury reserve"

No, he doesn't care about that, his re-election fund comes from other interests.

From the Center for Responsive Politics:

https://www.opensecrets.org/politicians/summary.php?cycle=Career&cid=N00009738&type=I

Drilling down a bit, lots of oil and gas, lots of real estate, lots of transportation (i.e., cars and airplanes).  Lots of bidniss donors, practically none on the labor side.  And of course the Koch brothers.

No surprises here.

Bingo, the money he wants for his campaign coffers comes from people and companies with interests in the car being the major mode of transit for a long time to come. He doesn't care whether people in his district want rail, he cares what the people that helped him gain his office want. I don't think anyone ever says "I'll help you, you help me" but it's pretty clear where the interests come from when you follow the money.

No, he doesn't care about that, his re-election fund comes from other interests.

Bingo, the money he wants for his campaign coffers comes from people and companies with interests in the car being the major mode of transit for a long time to come. He doesn't care whether people in his district want rail, he cares what the people that helped him gain his office want. I don't think anyone ever says "I'll help you, you help me" but it's pretty clear where the interests come from when you follow the money.

He might not care about that but the people that provide funding to him certainly do. He will do anything as long as he keeps getting "funding" for his political endeavor's.

Why would he express interest in commuter rail on the 290 or US 90A corridors then?

It sounds good to the electorate, but there is no crystallized plan for either of these. Expect that if a plan does coalesce, he will support commuter rail in these corridors, but oppose "this particular plan".

• Like 1

Still, there must be more specific connections in the group than that. For example, is it people opposed to the connection to the Gulfton stop? Is it O&G execs who dislike rail out of ideological principle? Is it wannabe suburbanites in denial about the present?

It would be nice to know exactly who are the interested parties.

Edit: and while I was typing this, mollusk provided some great info. Thanks!

Based on that, it seems like auto dealers are the most directly interested in seeing light rail fail in these areas, along with Realtors (because of the induced demand for higher density/rental housing).

I can assure you, Realtors aren't against it. I know plenty of them - and they are pissed that it isn't happening. Traffic jams help no one.

I can assure you, Realtors aren't against it. I know plenty of them - and they are pissed that it isn't happening. Traffic jams help no one.

In that case, it's probably Koch (on principle) and Williams Bros, since they'd like to see more freeway miles built. The oil companies themselves most likely aren't too much in favor of the rail line, but I can't imagine they'd necessarily be strongly opposed to it. 

From what I've read, it sounds like he has specific constituents in his district that oppose the line specifically going down Richmond west of Shepherd.

Culberson strongly rebuked Poe's attempt to remove the language, lashing into Metro's past history and noting his constituents west of Richmond bitterly oppose the line. He said he will continue to oppose the line because it is a waste of money, and voters in 2003 never intended it to run down Richmond.

"Imagine if you did not want to put a pool in your back yard and your neighbor changed the deed restrictions to make you build a pool in your backyard," Culberson said.

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/transportation/article/Houston-congressmen-again-battle-over-Richmond-5540338.php

In other places he supports an alt route down the Westpark corridor and commuter rail.

Not completely opposed to rail, Culberson noted that he has already begun working with Congressman Al Green on possible rail connections from Fort Bend County and that he would support the US 90A southwest rail corridor. On another potential east-west light rail route, Culberson said, "Westpark would be perfect. They have the right of way."

http://houston.culturemap.com/news/city-life/01-28-14-light-rail-on-richmond-dead-forever-congressmen-crows-over-saving-post-oak-from-metro-destruction/

So, if he's to be taken at his word at least, he doesn't oppose all rail, just certain segments in specific places.  That said, I have to agree with Ted Poe in his debate on the floor with Culberson shown below....

Poe represents the area along Richmond east of Shepherd, where he says people want to build the rail line voters approved in 2003. He proposed stripping Culberson's provision from the spending bill, calling it an "inappropriate overreach by the federal government" while conceding the line deeply divides the Houston area.

"Debate that issue in the city," Poe said. "Don't let Congress come in and overrule the will of the people."

Poe rejected arguments that the money would be wasted if Metro was eligible.

"It is not going back into the coffers, it is not going to pay down the national debt," he said. "It's already spent. It will go to another city."

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/transportation/article/Houston-congressmen-again-battle-over-Richmond-5540338.php