Downtown Condominium Market

dbigtex56

"Financial district" is a vague term. Downtown Chicago, i.e. the Loop, is quite busy on weekends due to retail on State Street as well as simply being the city's transport hub. However, most restaurants and retail shops in the office-heavy parts of downtown are closed during non-working hours. My favorite lunch break joint, the Wow Bao downstairs at the CBOT, closed at 6 M-F and stayed closed on weekends. Another factor seems to be architecture. The western part of downtown around Wacker Drive tend to be deader because the modernist architecture makes for deader street-scapes.

Wow Boa, just had that last week and you're right about the State Street area near the Depaul downtown campus...but I will say that area reminds me of what downtown houston may look like in the future if downtown houston doesn't attract residents/homeowners.

I don't think anything ever happened between them. It just seems as if Musicman follows Jax around and belittles him at every turn. It's annoying especially since Jax brings a nice perspective (an outsider drawn to Houston for school) and excellent photos.

I think there's one thing Stuff White People Like has failed to add; internet message board mean girl behavior.

I agree...

I'm sorry but I don't count the criminals living in jails as part of the downtown community, even if it does help boost the downtown population number. Its not like we'll see them walking up and down main street adding to the buzz of the area. I don't think a downtown resident or homeowner would want to count them either.

I'm sorry but I don't count the criminals living in jails as part of the downtown community, even if it does help boost the downtown population number. Its not like we'll see them walking up and down main street adding to the buzz of the area. I don't think a downtown resident or homeowner would want to count them either.

But we might view them like we view tourists. They may have never visited downtown Houston before. Perhaps giant video screens will entice them to stay once their "trip" is over...

No, it absolutley does. There are at least 5 jail facilities in the CBD (6 if you count the City Jail on Reisner). Those jails hold anywhere from 12 to 14 thousand inmates at any given time.

How unfortunate that the jails occupy land which might have become a prime residential area.

Imagine if they housed condos instead of prisoners: great access to downtown, rail, Buffalo Bayou jogging trail, etc.

• 1 year later...

I think it's around 2000 - 5000. Not more than 7000 tops.

I think it would increase in very small (relatively) amounts. That is, only when a new resi tower/highrise goes up. And we all know there can be decades between those kinds of projects.

If you include two blocks outside downtown proper, the number rises significantly with Lofts at the Ball Park, townhouses on St. Emanuel, Herrin Lofts, 2016 Main, Sabine Street Lofts.

Hey, not so fast... that's EaDO!!!! Don't steal ;)

I tried founding out what the population of just downtown was and I cant seem to find anything. I was wondering if any of you guys knew what the population down there is now and what its projected to be in the future.

According to the Downtown Information Portal, the number is "almost 4,000". This is supported by data presented by the Urban Marketing Collaborative in a 2006 study. They cited 3,091 households in 2006 and forecast 4,136 households in 2011. That 2011 number is probably a little over the mark, given that they couldn't have foreseen the implosion of real estate.

Of course, this doesn't include the jail population, which is larger than the total downtown residential population.

As a side note/discussion...

I have been riding the bus a lot more lately, and I'm really enjoying it!! I cross downtown a lot. Is it just me, or is there a marked increase of "general pedestrian traffic" in and around downtown. Everywhere I go, I'm seeing more people walking dogs, pushing strollers, or just wandering around looking for places that are open. I don't think that this represents an increase of residents in downtown proper, but you can certainly tell that more people live, work and play in close proximity to there.

EaDo is kind of a stupid name, but you have to call this area something now... everyday it feels more and more "habitable". Though some small parks would be nice.

Edited by totheskies

As a side note/discussion...

I have been riding the bus a lot more lately, and I'm really enjoying it!! I cross downtown a lot. Is it just me, or is there a marked increase of "general pedestrian traffic" in and around downtown. Everywhere I go, I'm seeing more people walking dogs, pushing strollers, or just wandering around looking for places that are open. I don't think that this represents an increase of residents in downtown proper, but you can certainly tell that more people live, work and play in close proximity to there.

The agreeable weather may have something to do with this...

Of course, this doesn't include the jail population, which is larger than the total downtown residential population.

I'm sure you already know this but jail populations don't count. At least to me!

We're not going to see the jailers in their orange and blue jumpsuits walking around downtown enjoying life, spending money, and being patrons for retailers! :lol:

If they're locked away from society, they're pretty much non-existant.

I'm sure you already know this but jail populations don't count. At least to me!

We're not going to see the jailers in their orange and blue jumpsuits walking around downtown enjoying life, spending money, and being patrons for retailers! :lol:

What do you think happens when their sentence is up? Do they get put in cages, transported to rural areas, and released into the wild?

Btw, jailers are the ones who enforce imprisonment. An imprisoned person would be a "jailee," I suppose.

They certainly count to the US Census Bureau. Look up the downtown population under "institutionalized". And, the jailers DO frequent downtown retailers. They wear their Harris County Detention Officer uniforms. Only the inmates wear the Cheetos. But, once they are released, the inmates and those waiting to pick them up or bond them out spend quite a bit of money in the retail establishments on and around N. San Jacinto Street.

I'm thinking they should. The farther away the better.

Sure. :rolleyes: Maybe we can get one of the hunting clubs in Chambers County to take them. I'm sure that it'd help out some of the distressed alligator populations. Plus, it'd be one hell of a good time for bubba.

I'm facing the interior with a private balcony. Nice and quiet.

Cool. What's on the interior, besides your balcony? I have a friend that lived there years ago, but I remember it being an external unit.