Downtown Condominium Market

dbigtex56

Cool. What's on the interior, besides your balcony? I have a friend that lived there years ago, but I remember it being an external unit.

There is one other balcony back there with me. Not a lot to be seen, but its a good size and open straight up to the sky, so I should be able to set up a grill, and grow some basil and etc. I can also see the back side of Capitol Lofts with their little private balconies. Maybe I'll take some pictures tonight if I don't get home too late.

Edited by kylejack

I'll believe that when I see it.

Perennial Optimism... it must not be your niche.

I wonder how much the downtown population (not accounting for prisoners) has increased since 2005? From my understanding, the new YMCA won't have residential so that's going to be a loss once the old one closes down.

I wonder how much the downtown population (not accounting for prisoners) has increased since 2005?

With the significant foreclosure rate in some of the buildings probably not much if any.

Edited by musicman

Perennial Optimism... it must not be your niche.

I wonder how much the downtown population (not accounting for prisoners) has increased since 2005? From my understanding, the new YMCA won't have residential so that's going to be a loss once the old one closes down.

I can't think of a single residential project downtown that was completed post-2005. St. Germain, Capitol Lofts, Humble Tower Apartments, Bayou Lofts, Franklin Lofts, Dakota Lofts, Hermann Lofts, Keystone Lofts, Beaconsfield, Hogg Palace were all pre-2005. So about the same. Or less because of the various foreclosures.

One Park Place is now open with 300+ units.

Additionally, while not in downtown in most people's minds, I believe The Edge and Camden's City Centre project are both in the 77002 zipcode.

Those are, I believe, in midtown...

Those are, I believe, in midtown...

Yeah, 77002 isn't the ideal definition for downtown. It actually extends along an odd-shaped corridor all the way through Midtown and ends at US 59 where Spur 527 splits off, including the condo highrise at 2016 Main. It also bulges out to the west, encompassing Post Midtown and several other apartment buildings. To the east, 77002 goes as far east as Canal and Colby.

Other downtown zip codes are 77010, 77003, and 77001 (post office).

Yeah, 77002 isn't the ideal definition for downtown. It actually extends along an odd-shaped corridor all the way through Midtown and ends at US 59 where Spur 527 splits off, including the condo highrise at 2016 Main. It also bulges out to the west, encompassing Post Midtown and several other apartment buildings. To the east, 77002 goes as far east as Canal and Colby.

Other downtown zip codes are 77010, 77003, and 77001 (post office).

Don't forget 77201, and 77020 if you count Nance St area (I do :/ )

Post office is 401 Franklin 77001

http://www.houstonarchitecture.info/Archit...1/77001/HAI.php

I know that I've sent mail to PO boxes in 77001 that were at the downtown post office.

Well if they want to put that zip on the PO boxes its their prerogative, they are the postal service after all. But go on the post office website and locate that post office and you will see that the address listed on the website for the post office itself is:

401 FRANKLIN ST

HOUSTON, TX 77201-9998

Well if they want to put that zip on the PO boxes its their prerogative, they are the postal service after all. But go on the post office website and locate that post office and you will see that the address listed on the website for the post office itself is:

401 FRANKLIN ST

HOUSTON, TX 77201-9998

I don't disagree with you, but I think that this is a case where it might be both zip codes in one location.

EaDo is kind of a stupid name, but you have to call this area something now... everyday it feels more and more "habitable". Though some small parks would be nice.

What about 'warehouse district'?

or, since everyone likes to shorten these names to 2 syllable, 4 letter words, "WaDi" pronounced, "Wah-Dih"

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Ok, this isn't happening in Houston, for residents at least, though it seems as though Detroit is starting a cash incentive program to get people to move downtown.

http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2011/07/25/program-offers-cash-incentives-to-live-downtown/

I am wondering what you all think about this? If Houston were to implement a program similar to this, do you think the city, and Downtown especially, wpi;d reap any benefits from this? If so, what? If you don't already live here, would you consider it because of the cash?

I don't think we're in quite the same situation as Detroit. Part of Downtown's problem is simply lack of housing stock. I would love to live downtown, particularly once Phoenicia opens, but there just isn't anywhere for me to live. The Downtown infrastructure is improving steadily, and the additional light rail lines will help minimize some of the compromises involved in living there, so I hope a wider range of housing will start going up. One Park Place is a nice start, but there needs to be a broad range of options including stuff that might be affordable for students. There is so much vacant land still that I wouldn't even object to townhouses in the southeast corner.