NRG Park Mixed-Use Development

SpaceCity

I think that would be the highest in Houston.  I am not sure the nightly rate on the Four Season, Hillton Americas, Houstonian, or St. Regis, but I would be pretty suprised if you told me they were north of $225 (special engagements aside).

I was married at the Houstonian and we got a group rate of $129 a night.  Of course that was also weekend rates.

During the show, Chris Baker had the producer call the Four Seasons to ask about their rates. They said that a basic room cost $200 for one night.

yeah.. I'm under the assumption that the $450million is for the total buildout.... so there would be revenues earned from whatever concessions/attractions they put inside as well as leases to businesses/shop owners that wnat to operate inside... my gut tells me that room prices would be somewhere around $150-200 normally and double that for special events...

Yes, it would be theme parkish.  They said something about having some kind of a waterway and guest would ride around in some kind of a boat.

Then to answer your original question, I would probably check it out, but not stay there. If I were coming from out of town, I might make a trip to check it out, but most likely if I am buying I am staying at a place with a cheaper rate.

I think that would be the highest in Houston.  I am not sure the nightly rate on the Four Season, Hillton Americas, Houstonian, or St. Regis, but I would be pretty suprised if you told me they were north of $225 (special engagements aside).

I was married at the Houstonian and we got a group rate of $129 a night.  Of course that was also weekend rates.

$375 would easily be Houston's highest room rate. The Icon is currently highest at about $275 or so. Add Houston's hotel tax of 17%, I believe, and that $375 becomes $438.75.

I wouldn't stay there on a bet.

i have a temporary idea for the astrodome, why don't we offer it to the city of New Orleans as a place for the Saints to play for now? I'm sure they'll get plenty of fans, especially Houstonians for the first few home games that just want to see a game in the Dome again. And if there are parking issues with two home games the same day, the NFL could move one to the evening to accommodate.

The Saints don't really have many options left, maybe LSU Stadium? Don't know if that suffered any damage...

i'm sure the water would be pumped out, but seems like there will other repairs that may not be so easy. with parts of the "membrane" torn off, the dome now takes in water, and other parts of the infrastructure may be damaged. hopefully this isn't the case, and also hopefully people will be able to go back to their homes by then.

i just like the idea of Houston, so there's more of a chance for local fans to enjoy their team. plus its good for us of course.

san antonio would be interesting also (I guess they went there to practice during Ivan last season), since there's no team there and there were rumours of luring the Saints there.

i have a temporary idea for the astrodome, why don't we offer it to the city of New Orleans as a place for the Saints to play for now? I'm sure they'll get plenty of fans, especially Houstonians for the first few home games that just want to see a game in the Dome again. And if there are parking issues with two home games the same day, the NFL could move one to the evening to accommodate.

The Saints don't really have many options left, maybe LSU Stadium? Don't know if that suffered any damage...

What a great idea, skwatra! All my NFL fan buddys would love to have a chance to see 2 teams play on the same day in adjoining stadiums. Texans at noon and the Saints at 5? Maybe we could just invite the Saints to stay-permanantly B)

I guess by now some of you know that the Astrodome is going to be taking in the evacuees from NOLA.... I believe starting today there are 400 buses or so that will be shuttling the 25,000 people to Houston along with supplies and other equipment... it's not quite the 'Aints, but this certainly is a major thing..

I guess by now some of you know that the Astrodome is going to be taking in the evacuees from NOLA

Oh Lord, a bunch of bitter evacuees in the 10's of thousands to fill our city. I think we could handle a few thousand in the area, but 25K people in one place. . . You know there is going to be riots and more trouble.

Oh Lord, a bunch of bitter evacuees in the 10's of thousands to fill our city.  I think we could handle a few thousand in the area, but 25K people in one place. . . You know there is going to be riots and more trouble.

I don't think 25,000 in a dome a good answer if we're talking about them staying there for over 5 days. It may end up becoming deplorable of a place for the refugees if they don't get what they need.

I think if they stay in Houston for a longer period of time, we should look into spreading them out to four, possibly five temporary locations.

My dad just gained 20,000 new neighbors!

You know last week we saw some group vans at the Luther's there (on sunday) and well we thought that was bad. Now this will be even harder to get to. :(

But at least there are eating places around the area, and if anything the Medical center is not far away!

My work is making 200 sandwiches to give to donate. Its not enough I know but we got to think of our own expenses as well. My dad also said he doesn't care if its a tax ride off. Its just to help these people in need.

I'm sure The Dome the means to lock people out. But, can they lock people in as well?

I sure hope so.

I'm with Red...what DOES that mean anyway?

In any event, they will not be locked in. They are going to be encouraged to get out and take advantage of all the freebies offered at the museums, the zoo, sports, etc...

The potential security concerns come up when you consider the fact that the people (most of whom are going to be housed in the Dome) arent to worried about seeing the new Rembrandt in the MFA - they are worried about getting back home, where there money is (since most of their banks are shut down - including the networks that allow debit withdrawls -- like I heard one man say "its like not having an identity"). What gets me is the 10% off on clothes - how about 50% off! These people have NOTHING, let that sink in,

...NOTHING...

So keeping people in the "camp" will be important - since few have money - and fewer still will know what to do or where to go (atleast for the first few days) - it is after all just a staging point from where they will be moved either to refugee camps closer to New Orleans or elsewhere in Houston.

To be quite honest Im pretty sure if I was in this situation (a "refugee") - and being moved to New York - Im pretty sure the last thing on my mind would be the MOMA, or free tickets to the New York Philharmonic!

The potential security concerns come up when you consider the fact that the people (most of whom are going to be housed in the Dome) arent to worried about seeing the new Rembrandt in the MFA - they are worried about getting back home, where there money is (since most of their banks are shut down - including the networks that allow debit withdrawls -- like I heard one man say "its like not having an identity").  What gets me is the 10% off on clothes - how about 50% off!  These people have NOTHING, let that sink in,

...NOTHING...

So keeping people in the "camp" will be important - since few have money - and fewer still will know what to do or where to go (atleast for the first few days) - it is after all just a staging point from where they will be moved either to refugee camps closer to New Orleans or elsewhere in Houston.

To be quite honest Im pretty sure if I was in this situation (a "refugee") - and being moved to New York - Im pretty sure the last thing on my mind would be the MOMA, or free tickets to the New York Philharmonic!

Ah, but you see, it is there never the less. Diversion. If only for a few hours a day. Take your kids to the Zoo-for free. Take your family to a museum-for free. There's a train at your doorstep that goes to all these places and more. Getting the people out of the "camps" on a regular basis is good psychology. It's far better than having 25,000 pissed off people in a "camp" with cabin fever. They are our guests and we are not their wardens. Let's try to treat them as we would like to be treated.