NRG Park Mixed-Use Development

SpaceCity

You know. I think the NFL cater more to compac cities like, New Orleans, Miami, Tampa Bay, Jacksonville, etc, cause everything is right there for vistors. They don't have to travel here, or travel there for entertainment like spread out cities like Houston. Houston is a spread out city, and you have to travel cross town for entertainment.

That's why New Orleans, and Miami hosted the most Super Bowls then any other city in America, cause of their compac surroundings.

That's just my guess.

I wonder why Houston was eliminated in the first round?

*secret thought*- I'm just glad we didn't loose to Atlanta :).

We were the first city eliminated! Does that mean we lost to everyone? HOwever, I think the owners had a perfect excuse in that we were the last city of the four to host a Super Bowl (but what about Miami?)

However, I think Tampa winning the Super Bowl is GREAT for Houston! Why? Because it keeps us in the Super Bowl rotation anyway. Remember the burning question we had about what would happen if Dallas is awarded the 2011 Super Bowl, and we thought they wouldn't give it to Houston for a loooonnnnggg time because they wouldn't award it to the same state within a four year period?

Miami will host in 2007 and THEY were eliminated after HOUSTON! Miami '07, Tampa '09! So Dallas '11, Houston '13! The owners have NNNOOOOOOO EXCUSES for our next bid. NONE!!

We're one of, if not, THE best host city as a whole the NFL's EVER had, proven in 2004. As a matter of fact, there's something else we haven't thought up yet. WE STILL HAVE A SHOT AT THE 2010 SUPER BOWL, TOO!!! New York was awarded the game ONLY IF THEY BUILD THE STADIUM ON TIME, and that will be built before 2010 ONLY IF THEY WIN THE OLYMPICS!!!! I think New York would do a fine job as a host city, but, like Miami, THEY BROKE THE RULES TOO!!! The stadium has to be in use for 2 years before it's eligible to host. Guess what? 09'opening-'10 Super Bowl.

THERE ARE NO LEGITIMATE SUPER BOWL HOSTING ELIGIBILITY RULES IN THE NFL!!!! ALL RULES ARE BENT!! WE HAVE A SHOT EVERY YEAR!!!! :lol: GO HOUSTON '10, 12',13, '14, '15..... :lol:

Well I would agree on the compactness of New Orleans. But the others are just as spread out. Jacksonville was a disaster apparently. No high class hotels or dining, I forget what they said is the square miles there, but it is enormous as well, despite the fact the population is so low. As for Miami, Pro Player stadium isn't really even in Miami and is far, far from South Beach. Its just the fact South Beach is around there that makes it attractive and the weather I think is more reliable. Its basically like saying Galveston is really just next door to Reliant. Except of course that South Beach is more than a little wilder than Galveston. Tampa, I'm not so sure about, so can't say anything there.

But compactness is not entirely the issue, I think it was the "we just had one there" factor and the bid not being anything of a step up from last time. Atlanta just won't ever be able to live down the 2 Super Bowls where they had freak weather both times.

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/front/3198923

Interesting take on the SB vote.  Could greed and avarice be a consideration in NFL voting matters........NAAAAHH!

Given that information on Miami's willingness to provide a permanent entertainment area in return for the SB every 3 years, I don't think that Houston should be discouraged. It looks like the Astrodome could be used for that same purpose if they ever make their minds up to do it. I like the Gaylord Texan-esque idea for the Dome. Hotel rooms, shopping, entertainment options all inside of the Dome. Add in a swanky ballroom for the Commissioner's dinner that is above the rest of the activity on the lower levels and you have a great place.

My only concern is that Reliant Park may become a more formidable opponent to downtown for many major events, but that point may be moot if the HCHSA and the Harris County Sports Corp. become one entity.

Given that information on Miami's willingness to provide a permanent entertainment area in return for the SB every 3 years, I don't think that Houston should be discouraged.  It looks like the Astrodome could be used for that same purpose if they ever make their minds up to do it.  I like the Gaylord Texan-esque idea for the Dome.  Hotel rooms, shopping, entertainment options all inside of the Dome.  Add in a swanky ballroom for the Commissioner's dinner that is above the rest of the activity on the lower levels and you have a great place.

My only concern is that Reliant Park may become a more formidable opponent to downtown for many major events, but that point may be moot if the HCHSA and the Harris County Sports Corp. become one entity.

That HCHSA and Harris County Sports Corp. merge idea sounds like a great one.

If Miami could offer that, with Houston being a much bigger city and Houston being the best host city ever for a Super Bowl, once again, the NFL would have NO excuses to hook us up the way they'd hook up New York or the state of Florida with special privilages.

I say, why the hell Houston County Sports Corp. do something about the Astrodome? Really, the dome is the key and they looking passed it. The Dome plays a big major role in the relaint park. Rennovate the dome people, money sets in front of their eyes and they don't even know it. I say, WAKE UP AND SMELL THE COFFEE!

I say, why the hell Houston County Sports Corp. do something about the Astrodome? Really, the dome is the key and they looking passed it. The Dome plays a big major role in the relaint park. Rennovate the dome people, money sets in front of their eyes and they don't even know it. I say, WAKE UP AND SMELL THE COFFEE!

Calm down. They drink decaf anywayz.

B*tch! I live in a trash can! Ha

:lol::lol::lol: You've been late four times, I've been counting!!

Houston's gonna have to shine BRIGHT for the All-Star Game to show the NFL what they're missing.

Oye, but let me just say one thing. If, IF, the NBA actually does fall into a lockout this season, and Houston's All Star Game is effected, we BETTER get something in return :angry:

• 3 weeks later...

Today's 6:00 o'clock KTRK-TV newscast there was a story about a potential housing crisis in Houston with families waiting on federally-funded HUD homes. According to the report, some 9,000 families are now on a waiting list, and thanks to the current inept politicians in Washington, funding for Houston in the next year is being severly cut.

So how about transforming the dome into an innovative housing development for these people?

For almost anything you propose doing with the Astrodome, it would be cheaper to build a whole new building in a different location than to convert the Astrodome to that use. This includes homeless shelters, fitness centers, high school sports stadiums, transit centers, amusement parks, etc. It's like taking that old Chevy van that grandpa's had sitting next to the garage for twenty years, and trying to convert it into a fuel-efficient hybrid car. You're better off just buying a new hybrid car.

The only reason to reuse the Astrodome is if whatever you're using it for uniquely incorporates the Astrodome in some way - if it's an original idea that's appropriate to the Astrodome and couldn't be done anywhere but the Astrodome. My idea was to build a Museum of Modern Technology, with airplanes, space rockets, etc., kind of like our own Smithsonian, and devote a section of it to showing the role that technology has played in Houston, particularly with space exploration. The idea being that the most prized piece in the museum's collection would be the museum itself - the actual building. Most tourists who visit Houston do so to see NASA; this could be the next thing on their itinerary.

• Like 1