NRG Park Mixed-Use Development

SpaceCity

You are exactly correct. New York has already been promised the 2010 Super Bowl if the Jets win the bidding on the land for the proposed west side stadium. It's a nice gesture to make to all the cash-strapped cities that are coughing up billions to build stadia. What a racket.

Yes. Houston do have a chance, but the NFL is not going to have back 2 back super bowls in texas. Houston in 2009 and Dallas in 2011. The NFL is going to give Atlanta another shoot at it by awarding them the 2009 super bowl so they can make changes to the Dome.

Beleive me. I want Houston to get it as much as y'all do. But the only thing going to hurt Houston for not getting the super bowl back here is Dallas. Tell you the truth, it's nothing really hurting Atlanta, but that ice storm in 2000 super bowl, hell that's been 5 years ago.

Yes. Houston do have a chance, but the NFL is not going to have back 2 back super bowls in texas. Houston in 2009 and Dallas in 2011. The NFL is going to give Atlanta another shoot at it by awarding them the 2009 super bowl so they can make changes to the Dome.

Beleive me. I want Houston to get it as much as y'all do. But the only thing going to hurt Houston for not getting the super bowl back here is Dallas. Tell you the truth, it's nothing really hurting Atlanta, but that ice storm in 2000 super bowl, hell that's been 5 years ago.

Listen to the John McClain audio presentation at www.chron.com

Where is Dallas building the new stadium? Is it next to the old one in Irving? Or closer to downtown. I just thinking of the setup Dallas will use to stage the Superbowl events for entire week.

Where would the NFL experience occur. Will there be some type of Main Event like Houston.

Being from Lousisiana, I knew New Orleans hosted the Superbowl many times, but I didn't think it was that many. And the further you go back it seems like it occured more often there.

I think the two biggest things to put you in the running is facilities and weather conditions.

I think northern cities can win the superbowl if all the faciliities and amenities are real close so that potential snowfall is not an issue. Also, they'll need a stadium that can have a closed roof too. San Diego is lucky that weather over there never really gets bad.

In a positive light, Houston getting it again will probably mean some more improvements along the light rail corridor. Hopefully most in the midtown area.

Where is Dallas building the new stadium?  Is it next to the old one in Irving?  Or closer to downtown.  I just thinking of the setup Dallas will use to stage the  Superbowl events for entire week.

In a positive light,  Houston getting it again will probably mean some more improvements along the light rail corridor.  Hopefully most in the midtown area.

The new Cowboys stadium will be built in Arlington. The city of Arlington stepped up and offered the most for Jerry Jones. With the Rangers playing there as well they should re-name the team to the Arlington Cowboys.

As for Midton getting more improvements, I am all for that. Hopefully it will not be anymore CVS or Walgreens.

I think northern cities can win the superbowl if all the faciliities and amenities are real close so that potential snowfall is not an issue. Also, they'll need a stadium that can have a closed roof too.

As Trophy pointed out, now it's really more a matter of rewarding cities for spending the moola rather than concerns over weather. Hence, Super Bowls in Detroit and probably NYC in 2010. (The New York one would have a retractable roof I think).

If, IF, The Reliant Astrodome was turned into that 1,000 room hotel and entertainment center like they've been proposing, would that help or hurt Houston showcasing the city during the Super Bowl? Hell, would the NFL Headquarters be held there, or at Hilton like last time?

If Reliant Astrodome was turned into that 1,000 room hotel and entertainment center like they've been proposing, would that help or hurt Houston showcasing the city during the Super Bowl? Hell, would the NFL Headquarters be held there, or at Hilton like last time? How would it effect the Super Bowl experience compared to 2004?

Is they talking about this on the Dome thread?

Respect to houstonsemipro. Bless your heart, yo. It was I that brought it up in the Dome thread, yo. I thought it'd be easier to create this question into it's own forum. Sorry to you and to all for the mix up. But I AM curious to the city's opinion on this, because I'm not sure if this question has been brought up before by the city officials.

To answer 27's question, I think the only reason why they had NFL Experience at GRB was to display downtown itself. Same reason for Hilton being the headquarters. Same for Main Event being on Main Street instead of Richmond Strip. Don't worry, 'cause I asked the same question at first around that time period. I think they did some other events in the Reliant Arena and Center.

That's where the question comes into play. IF the Dome hotel were made, and we still had the NFL Experience and the NFL headquarters downtown, wouldn't it come off as odd to those visiting us?

• 4 weeks later...

I'm going to tell you right now who the NFL Committee going to favor. Atlanta. Just because they rennovating the Georgia Dome, oh wow (sarcastic).

That's wow Jacksonville won the super bowl, cause the owner was losing money, and he wanted to rennovate the staduim. Alot of people said Jacksonville should never landed the super bowl there. It was to small, and really nothing to do there.

Back to 2009 super bowl proposals. Altanta is the most favorite to win the 2009 bowl. I hate to say that, but it's true guys. I guess Houston just have to wait for another decade. Well, some of y'all be going to the Dallas super bowl in 2011 or 2012.

I'm going to tell you right now who the NFL Committee going to favor. Atlanta. Just because they rennovating the Georgia Dome, oh wow (sarcastic).

That's wow Jacksonville won the super bowl, cause the owner was losing money, and he wanted to rennovate the staduim. Alot of people said Jacksonville should never landed the super bowl there. It was to small, and really nothing to do there.

Back to 2009 super bowl proposals. Altanta is the most favorite to win the 2009 bowl. I hate to say that, but it's true guys. I guess Houston just have to wait for another decade. Well, some of y'all be going to the Dallas super bowl in 2011 or 2012.

The NFL would have to be extra stupud if they'd fall for a proposal of renovating Georgia Dome being the main selling point of being the best hosting city for 2009, but we'll soon find out what they do. Not saying I don't agree, but it'd be a waste for everybody if they take that predictable road instead of the BEST site (H-Town, baby!)

But just in case, I got an idea. Let's add in our proposal to renovate Reliant Stadium. I'll donate three lawn chairs from my garage and only give it to Reliant if the NFL agrees to host the SuperBowl there instead of Atlanta, Tampa, and Miami. What, Georgia Dome would be $100 million worth? Okay, have Harris County pay me $35 million per chair, to make our proposal worth $5 million more than Atlanta's. Who's in, yo?! After all, $100 million ain't gonna by Atlanta a retractable Roof, will it?

The GA Dome really does need an update, and I agree that tilts the 2009 vote toward Atlanta.

Most of the owners will recognize the need to reward with a Superbowl cash cow any host city which builds a nicer stadium. It's important to the business relationship between team and host city that municipal financial contrubitions are acknowledged by the League through a weeks worth of wintertime tourism and media exposure.

It's important to the League's business that host cities continue financial contribution to stadium upgrades. Whole lotta back scratching.

The NFL would have to be extra stupud if they'd fall for a proposal of renovating Georgia Dome being the main selling point of being the best hosting city for 2009, but we'll soon find out what they do. Not saying I don't agree, but it'd be a waste for everybody if they take that predictable road instead of the BEST site (H-Town, baby!) 

But just in case, I got an idea. Let's add in our proposal to renovate Reliant Stadium. I'll donate three lawn chairs from my garage and only give it to Reliant if the NFL agrees to host the SuperBowl there instead of Atlanta, Tampa, and Miami. What, Georgia Dome would be $100 million worth? Okay, have Harris County pay me $35 million per chair, to make our proposal worth $5 million more than Atlanta's. Who's in, yo?! After all, $100 million ain't gonna by Atlanta a retractable Roof, will it?

Yes, I am that generous to sell my lawn chairs for $35 million a piece. That's what I'll do for my community :-)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there. It's getting really close to choose the winner of the 2009 Super Bowl. May 24th is the big date to choose one winner out of the four cities.

ATLANTA - Falcons owner Arthur Blank has indicated he would be willing to invest up to $150 million into the Georgia Dome to help Atlanta get Super Bowl XLIII. In return, he's seeking an agreement with the Georgia World Congress Center (which oversees the dome) that the Falcons get a return on that investment through upgrades to the stadium.

Could that factor into the voting?

That might influence some of them and some of them have indicated that that won't influence them because it's basically a local matter. It's not going to help the Super Bowl.

TAMPA BAY & MIAMI - would have to have temporary facilities brought in, which would cost additional money for the league.

HOUSTON - proposed setup is virtually the same as 2004. Why? If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Tweek it, yes, but don't fix it.

Houston has a distinct edge in facilities, what with Reliant Stadium being the youngest and best stadium amongst the four in question.

After the four presenters leave the room, the league will provide financial analysis on each bid. Then comes the secret ballot amongst the 32 owners. Cities will be eliminated one by one until one bid gets a majority.

It will be held in Washington D.C.

I also disagree that the impact is low. I'm not going to say all the development over the past few years was solely for the 2004 Super Bowl, but it did give a timeline and goal for having stuff done to show off the city. Anytime the light rail was mentioned, it was "will be done in time for Super Bowl." Also, a lot of post SB feedback was good on being able to "surprise" people with the restaurants and what not. I know we shouldn't really care what people outside of Houston think if we like it, but at the same time, it would give people another goal to work to, which yes is probably the wrong motivation, but whatever it takes for progress to happen, so be it.

The Superbowl helps boost the image of the city to the people who live here. In your own head kinda thing.

Didn't help Jacksonville much. Same can be said for Detroit.

Of course, we have to at least bid on this, becuase we wasted so much money bringing the Texans here to begin with.

I'mma hoppin' and a prayin' Houston get the Superbowl once again, but I think the NFL would really love to see the Georia Dome upgraded. Plus Atlanta will have completed quite a number of major tourist friendly projects in the almost immediate vicinity of the Dome.

I'm pulling for Houston, but I don't know.

I think the Super Bowl is a great impact on a city. I also think if Houston is awarded the 2009 Super Bowl, they may do something with the Astrodome, turn it into an entertainment revune like they said they would. A 1,000 hotel room, cineplex, eatery, shopping, etc. It would be a great place to host one of the Super Bowl team's there, and across the way they practice at the Texans Facility. Talking about luxury.