NRG Park Mixed-Use Development

SpaceCity

The Superbowl helps boost the image of the city to the people who live here.  In your own head kinda thing.

Didn't help Jacksonville much.  Same can be said for Detroit.

Of course, we have to at least bid on this, becuase we wasted so much money bringing the Texans here to begin with.

As, remember, it was Bob Mcnair that spent da money.

Also, remember the fact that everyone who left H-Town can NOT deny the fact that it was by far the best Super Bowl of all time all around. NO QUESTION. If anyone can tell me any city that threw better and bigger Super Bowl parties, a more exciting game, and a more talked-about halftime show all in one, feel free to mention it, folks.

If Atlanta gets the Bowl, it won't be because we did a bad job in 2004. It would only be because the league thought Atlanta did a not so good job in 2000, and they want to give Atlanta to redeem itself, yo. We STILL da best city to host it, yo. Period.

I don't see how any of these cities could beat H-Town out for the Super Bowl. Of course that doesn't mean they won't, but it seems to me that giving the game to ATL or the like would be a political move for the league.

Houston's amenities and there close proximity to Reliant should be a lock. Not to mention how well the game went over two years ago.

Yeah even worse was they said when it actually came to a vote, it was between Tampa Bay and Atlanta. I think it hurt the fact that Houston went first in the presentations, and maybe we didn't "promise" anything new. Sounds like Atlanta was promising all those renovations and Tampa was promoting some new downtown features, a party at Busch Gardens for the owners and invitees and then their "weather", which I actually think wasn't supposed to have been that good the last time they had it there, but short term memory of course.

Still, I'm glad we didn't go the route of promising something we couldn't deliver, but maybe the "if it isn't broke" routine wasn't enough.

You know. I'm not mad, it hurts, but I'm not mad. I know for a fact Houston is the best city year around. I love Houston, and we don't need a Super Bowl here to showcase our city. Everyone knows Houston, if they don't they will soon.

I wished the Super Bowl would return to the Bayou City, but that's ow the ball rolls.

I have Super Bowl year around, cause I know Houston is #1 in my heart.

Well, when you listen to the comments made by some "annonymous" NFL owners on why Houston (in particular) was eliminated, it makes sense. The idea among most owners was that Houston was the most recent to host the game so they felt there would be opportunities a little later for Houston. Miami's last hosting is the longest since removed but they'll be hosting it in 2007, so they were eliminated as well. Tampa has hosted more recently than Atlanta (but only by a year) and apparently the weather concerns in Atlanta were far too great to overcome.

I'm guessing that Houston probably has a better chance sometime around 2011 but we'll see. It's much too far into the future to worry about.

Houston WILL host the Final Four in 2011, though, and that can be a lot of fun as well, with a weekend's worth of festivities on a greater scale than the MLB All Star Game and the NBA All Star Game but not as large as the SB, obviously.

So the fact that Houston had just hosted a Super Bowl was thought to be the overriding factor in why we weren't picked? It's interesting that Miami is hosting the 2007 Super Bowl, which will bring its total to 8, and yet they were eliminated after Houston. I suppose it doesn't matter in what order they were eliminated, only who won, but it's interesting to read into these things.

The NBA All-star game will be nice and certainly the final four will be a fun time, but it seems like the list of big events Houston has garnered due to our unprecedented stadium-building binge is beginning to grow small. A nice alternative would be for a few championships to come down the line, but I'm not prepared to hold my breath.

Well, when you listen to the comments made by some "annonymous" NFL owners on why Houston (in particular) was eliminated, it makes sense. The idea among most owners was that Houston was the most recent to host the game so they felt there would be opportunities a little later for Houston. Miami's last hosting is the longest since removed but they'll be hosting it in 2007, so they were eliminated as well. Tampa has hosted more recently than Atlanta (but only by a year) and apparently the weather concerns in Atlanta were far too great to overcome.

I'm guessing that Houston probably has a better chance sometime around 2011 but we'll see. It's much too far into the future to worry about.

Houston WILL host the Final Four in 2011, though, and that can be a lot of fun as well, with a weekend's worth of festivities on a greater scale than the MLB All Star Game and the NBA All Star Game but not as large as the SB, obviously.

I heard Dallas will get the 2011 Super Bowl, but it's not in ink yet.

I think that Houston having the Super Bowl recently is a bunch of crap. Case in point--Atlanta had the Super Bowl in 2000 and 1994 (I think). Twice in ten years. I also think it's garbage that the NFL gave the 2010 game to New York without even being sure that the stadium will get started on time. I think that Houston may not get the game before 2012 or so because Dallas may get it in 2011 and I'm thinking that Indy's new stadium may get a SB in 2012. Throw in that the NFL may all of a sudden decide that Texas can't have the game twice in 3 years and that takes us to 2014-2015. The only good thing is that Reliant will be due for a refresher by them and will sparkle even more.

The 2010 award to NYC is conditional. They have to gain financial support from CONY and SONY. It's a big part of their Olympic bid so there's a good chance they'll get a decent amount of funding, but the stadium project is very expensive one, like a billion dollars or so, so even with financial help, the Jets may not have enough money to foot the rest.

2011, no offical awarding but you have to like Dallas to get one either in 2011, 2012 or 2013.

Also, be on the lookout for a Los Angeles team by then and a possible bowl being awarded to them after 2010. It really depends on what happens with the Saints and Vikings, for example. And if the Saints figure out a way to upgrade the Superdome and keep themselves in NO, they're a good candidate for 2011, 2012 or 2013.

But there are too many factors. Maybe it's like Coog said: Ol' Jordy needs to step up his libido.

Actually, the New York stadium deal is projected to cost $1.3 billion to taxpayers alone. The NY Jets are putting up $600 million. Some recent estimates have the stadium and related infrastructure coming in at $2.2 to $2.4 billion. There is huge opposition to it. So, 2010 is very iffy for New York. Dallas looks to be in their stadium by 2009, so they are safe.