NRG Park Mixed-Use Development

SpaceCity

Whoa, relax Texas911. The comments earlier in the thread had nothing to do with race, and no one predicted any riots, rapes, or mayhem in this thread. I was refering to the particular looters at the time that were taking more than food (electronics, fur coats, etc.)

Now, back to da Dome. When is Astrodome Redevelopment going to make the Astrodome Hotel plan official?

• 9 months later...

It would be nice if the parking lot area between the Reliant Center entrance and the Holly Hall entrance- off Fannin St.- were to be converted into a park. Of course 2 or 3 levels of parking could be below ground- similar to the new downtown park.

It would be great to see a formal gate and plaza- beginning at the MetroRail platform- leading into the park. From the plaza, there could be covered paths going throughout the park and also leading to Reliant Stadium and Reliant Center.

Within the park there could be fountains, a pond, an amphitheater, restaurants, cafes, maybe a waterway that could course through the park- even into the Dome- particularly if a hotel is built within. This would be phase I.

Phase II would be to extend the park- from the Holly Hall entrance to the Naomi entrance.

Any thoughts?

Any thoughts?

Yep, Imploded the Astrodome and let's move on. Take all the copper and useful materials out of the joint, strip it bare, should take about a year, then 3......2.......1.......Sayronara ! Enough free parking so everyone doesn't have to pay extra to walk a mile. I go to a game or event to relax, not to get a workout.

Yep, Imploded the Astrodome and let's move on. Take all the copper and useful materials out of the joint, strip it bare, should take about a year, then 3......2.......1.......Sayronara ! Enough free parking so everyone doesn't have to pay extra to walk a mile. I go to a game or event to relax, not to get a workout.

If you actaully think Free parking will ever happen you have another thing coming. Parking is a huge source of revenue for Reliant Stadium. Giving away that will never happen.

It would be nice if the parking lot area between the Reliant Center entrance and the Holly Hall entrance- off Fannin St.- were to be converted into a park. Of course 2 or 3 levels of parking could be below ground- similar to the new downtown park.

It would be great to see a formal gate and plaza- beginning at the MetroRail platform- leading into the park. From the plaza, there could be covered paths going throughout the park and also leading to Reliant Stadium and Reliant Center.

Within the park there could be fountains, a pond, an amphitheater, restaurants, cafes, maybe a waterway that could course through the park- even into the Dome- particularly if a hotel is built within. This would be phase I.

Phase II would be to extend the park- from the Holly Hall entrance to the Naomi entrance.

Any thoughts?

I like it. At the very least, they need to landscape and shade that walk from the MetroRail station, with fountains, artwork etc. along the way. They could even incorporate promotions of upcoming Reliant Park events.

Any thoughts?

I think it sounds like a great idea. I'm also imagining a party there with the tailgaters to Texans NFL games. I'd really like to see the Astrodome hotel come to life, and I also think so much can be added on Reliant's surface lots if they built a parking garage or some underground parking there (but I think McNair's idea is to make Reliant Park as tailgate friendly as possible, so I can't see that happening.)

I'd like to see an Olympic-style natatorium built in Reliant Park just as planned in the 2012 bid. Regardless if we get that 2016 or not, it could still be a place for Houston's universities to compete and practice. Also, it could be used for recreation by hotel residence and such. It could be paid for by having Reliant and each of the universities pitching in.

If it was that easy Astroworld would still be around. Free parking! Ha!

I apologize, I mean having it like the old times where you get to park next to the stadium for the $5 to $7 it used to cost. Yes, I know it will NEVER be FREE ! I mispoke.

I like it. At the very least, they need to landscape and shade that walk from the MetroRail station, with fountains, artwork etc. along the way. They could even incorporate promotions of upcoming Reliant Park events.

Now THAT is a great idea. A "green corridor" if you will. They could even charge the advertisers MORE than what they could get for the same amount of parking spots.

I can understand that it would probably not be free to the public, but I'm sure people who attend the conventions would appreciate some quiet time to relax or find an out of the way place to haggle out a deal.

• 5 weeks later...
If you actaully think Free parking will ever happen you have another thing coming. Parking is a huge source of revenue for Reliant Stadium. Giving away that will never happen.

I didn't understand the article in today's Chronicle about the plans for the Astrodome.

• 7 months later...
Reliant Stadium is a nice place.

This is a nice article featuring Reliant Stadium.

a blurb:

"Oceanside, you have no real idea what lies ahead if the stars align, if the voters approve, and the Chargers put their big foot down on Goat Hill.

But don't feel bad.

Neither do I. Neither does almost anybody.

Well, Jim Steeg, whom we'll meet later, does, but he's probably the most creative thinker in pro football.

But if you're thinking of an updated Qualcomm, you are so last century. You need to get out more. Houston, perhaps. "

San Diego Newspaper

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

What it means is that UH season ticket holders get first pick of the best seats.

You become the host by making the best bid. The NCAA Tournament Committee selects hosts based on a variety of factors, one of which is proximity to a large, professional arena.

The four regionals are officially named after their areas, a practice which resumed in 2007. Between 2004 and 2006, the regionals were named for their host cities. The following are the sites for the 2008 regionals:[1]

East Regional, Charlotte Bobcats Arena, Charlotte, North Carolina (Host: University of North Carolina at Charlotte)

West Regional, US Airways Center, Phoenix, Arizona (Host: Arizona State University)

Midwest Regional, Ford Field, Detroit, Michigan (Host: University of Detroit Mercy)

South Regional, Reliant Stadium, Houston, Texas (Host: University of Houston)

Edited by MidtownCoog
  • Like 1

• 7 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Anybody been keeping up with this? I was just curious about the number of people it would bring into town and if anybody had noticed any fans or anything around town yet? I am guessing the teams are all probably staying in the Galleria area??

Well the event is a dry run for the final four, and we will host another regional in 2010 I think. They made a mistake by overpricing the seats to this event and not selling them all, I think there are 10,000 of the 45,000 seats still available and that is WITH TEXAS PLAYING. I am going, but having the most expensive tickets to a regional tournament at a football arena built to house 70,000 people was definately a mistake, and the best seats and worst seats in the house are the same price. Ford field (the other regional hosted in a football stadium) has like 5 different price points. Hopefully these few shortfalls will be corrected in 2010.

HOOKE EM HORNS!!!

Also, I believe Rice and UH are Co-Hosts.

I gave my tics to some Candaian coworkers. They are going tonight and I am headed out of town.

GO MEMPHIS!

Why the Memphis Backing...assuming from your screename you are a UH coog, just rooting for conference affiliation? I would think you would want Memphis to lose, especially given your current coaches propensity to recruit out of state...