NRG Park Mixed-Use Development

SpaceCity

The stadium is used because they want to work out the kinks for the final four where the entire stadium will be open...money money money... I was at the club level and thought those seats were great, probably better than the back of the field level. The only thing I think they should change is the seats behind the basket should be moved in a bit.

And Calipari had his shot to prove it to the world on national TV and lost at home to Tennessee, who then didn't play a good game for the rest of the season...so that is why he didn't get any respect...he has it now, though, and they might not be done....they reminded me of the 1990 UNLV team. The beat down was unreal in person

So, which are the other two teams that Cal thinks will join his Tigers in the Dance?

I really hope it is UH, I want them to be good again in college athletics...but I hate Penders, and his stubborn decision to not recruit the Houston area will be the end of him...we have so much talent, why would you ignore it just to prove your point to the detriment of your program????

It was a shame they didn't play in Toyota. I went to both games, and the venue is less than ideal for basketball. Friday's game was reasonably loud, but the crowd was completely inaudible when I watch the game on Tivo. The ground-level seats where way too far away, and there was almost no slope in the seats, so when one person stood up, everyone had to stand. I'm alumni; I don
Edited by Houston19514

The sitelines for Ford Field were absolutely abysmal. If you buy tickets for seats located that far away from the court, then you have to be going just for the event itself. It's a good thing the NCAA only tries this for the tournament games because doing this for a full season (like it used to be with the NBA's Spurs, Sonics and Pistons before they settled into new arenas) would be a nightmare for the fan. FYI, I think only Syracuse plays a full season inside a "football" stadium, although the Carrier Dome is relatively small by football standards, and the bleacers are arranged in such a way as to maximize the viewing quality for the fans.

But I digress.

I could see the NCAA eventually making these regional final and Final Four games more premium draws by going back to the traditional type basketball arenas (like Toyota Center or AT&T Center, for example) and charging higher prices for those seats rather than opening up the Superdome and sitting people as far back as the dome holds.

And the raised basketball court along with the black backdrops behind the basketball goals were points of contention by not only the fans but the teams as well. The NCAA decided to try this new setup (for whatever reason) this year, and it may continue on into next year's Final Four in Detroit and the ones proceeding them, including here in Houston in 2011.

We'll see how it turns out.

Edited by The Great Hizzy!

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/5663859.html

Did they have different prices? I wonder why they sold so many more?

Yes, Charlotte and Phoenix played in arena's, so the capacity was much less, even so their tickets were cheaper than Reliants. Detroit was the other stadium setup - but their tickets had like 4 tiers with the cheap seats starting at like 40 bucks.

See post #9...

I am going, but having the most expensive tickets to a regional tournament at a football arena built to house 70,000 people was definately a mistake, and the best seats and worst seats in the house are the same price. Ford field (the other regional hosted in a football stadium) has like 5 different price points. Hopefully these few shortfalls will be corrected in 2010.

Yes, Charlotte and Phoenix played in arena's, so the capacity was much less, even so their tickets were cheaper than Reliants. Detroit was the other stadium setup - but their tickets had like 4 tiers with the cheap seats starting at like 40 bucks.

See post #9...

Oh, ok. Thanks. I was just referring to Detroits numbers. I wonder why Reliant did that?

For easier viewing:

Let's hope UH makes it to the NCAA Tournament next year. I think they got shafted this year.

UH shafted itself. If you play in the CUSA, you need to beat everyone (as Memphis has done). You can't lose games to lesser opponents (teams way outside the top 25) and expect to make the dance. Yes they are better with Penders, but still not close to making the dance. Pleez, they didn't even get an invite to the NIT. And I'm a UH fan.

UH shafted itself. If you play in the CUSA, you need to beat everyone (as Memphis has done). You can't lose games to lesser opponents (teams way outside the top 25) and expect to make the dance. Yes they are better with Penders, but still not close to making the dance. Pleez, they didn't even get an invite to the NIT. And I'm a UH fan.

Why?

The facts are proving out that the CUSA is not a bad basketball league. In fact, here are the standings for the conferences in NCAA, NIT, and CBI games so far;

1) Conference USA with a winning % of 78.6%

2) SEC at 62.5%

3) Big Ten at 61.5%

4) ACC and Big 12 at 61.1%

6) Pac Ten at 57.9%

7) Big East at 56.5%

8) Missouri Valley at 54.5%

9) Atlantic Ten at 53.3%

5)

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I wonder if the Astrodome Final Four Anniversary had anything to do with it. Probably not.

And something is wrong with your link: http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/6120728.html

I was sort of thinking the same thing. It's not like choosing Houston is a risk and it makes for a nice story. But I think they would have rewarded Houston with one of the years anyway, but b/c of the anniversary that's why they chose that particular one. That's my theory.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Announced as one of a record 13 U.S. venues for the 10th edition of the most prestigious soccer tournament in the region, Reliant Stadium will host a first-round doubleheader on July 9.

The 2009 Gold Cup, a biennial competition that crowns the top national team in the North and Central American and Caribbean region, will run July 3-26.

Teams qualified to the 12-team tournament are two-time defending champion United States, Mexico and Canada from North America; Costa Rica, Honduras, El Salvador, Nicaragua and Panama from Central America; and Cuba, Grenada, Guadeloupe and Jamaica from the Caribbean.

CONCACAF is not expected to announce the group pairings for another month, but Mexico is all but a lock to come to Houston as part of first-round play.

full article

• 1 year later...

There's an article in the National Football Post ranking the nation's football venues based on architecture, history, weather, fans, and location. Reliant Stadium did poorly, coming in 16th -- even behind the now infamous Superdome!

Give the people something to cheer about, and I’ll bump you up. Until then, nothing here really stands out. Sure, the actual stadium is nice, but how often do you hear people talking about Reliant the way they talk about Qwest or Lucas Oil?

Linky: http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Ranking-the-NFL-Stadiums.html

Here's a few rankings of interest:

#1: Lambeau Field, Green Bay

#2: Cowboys Stadium, Arlington

#15: Louisiana Superdome, New Orleans

#16: Reliant Stadium, Houston

#18: LP Field, Nashville

#31 (last): Metrodome, Minneapolis

Poorly? 16th is squarely in the middle of the 31 stadiums, making it squarely in mediocre territory. Additionally, the author complimented the stadium. He merely stated that the team sucks...which it does. Most of the stadiums ranked ahead of Reliant host Super Bowl teams and contenders (the Cowboys notwithstanding).

But, really, a guy who's been to barely a third of the stadiums...and seen an actual football game at fewer than that...is no expert on the matter.

• Like 1

I do not give a fiddler's damn about sports teams or events.

As a music venue, Reliant Stadium ... oh, how should I put this? SUCKED big-time in its first major role - the Stones, in '03.

I was lucky to be in expensive seats - and the sound quality was mediocre. Those who spent less than a month's rent complained that they couldn't even hear the band.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Typical Houston conservatism...Reliant and Toyota Center are very bland and nothing like our Dallas counterparts when it comes to the AA Arena or Cowboy Stadium. Looks like more effort was put into Minute Maid. We'll see about the Dynamo

The Texans gameday atmosphere is pretty boring also

• Like 3

Typical Houston conservatism...Reliant and Toyota Center are very bland and nothing like our Dallas counterparts when it comes to the AA Arena or Cowboy Stadium. Looks like more effort was put into Minute Maid. We'll see about the Dynamo

Conservatism, or better design? Reliant Stadium is considered one of the better stadiums for actually seeing the game. Cowboys Stadium is very nice to look at, but much of the stadium seating is too far from the field. But, if your goal is simply to look at it, well, I guess it wins on that count.

Edited by RedScare

Cowboys stadium ill leave alone, but AAC is very boring. The inside looks like a suburban office building. Victory Park, looks really cool but we all know how that place is.

• Like 1

I agree - this is all about the team and the lack of history. If you look at facilities, then there's no way Lambeau is even close to the top. Create some memories and it gets ranked much higher.

I'm sure location plays a big role as well, move closer to downtown, or the galleria area, and it would get higher marks. I think even more extreme, if you were to move the stadium to a city with a better football team we would get higher marks for location as well.

• Like 1