NRG Park Mixed-Use Development

SpaceCity

Very interesting. When they mention the new areas around SoFi and Jerry World, it reminds you that there's no good reason for the area around NRG to be such a barren wasteland. Especially now that Helix Park is going to be a 5 minute drive away from the stadium, it's not like NRG is in the middle of nowhere.

Glad to hear the powers that be are thinking about this and want to put forth a plan to improve the area. I'm eager to see the plan once they put it together.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, bookey23 said:

Very interesting. When they mention the new areas around SoFi and Jerry World, it reminds you that there's no good reason for the area around NRG to be such a barren wasteland. Especially now that Helix Park is going to be a 5 minute drive away from the stadium, it's not like NRG is in the middle of nowhere.

Glad to hear the powers that be are thinking about this and want to put forth a plan to improve the area. I'm eager to see the plan once they put it together.

2 hours ago, bookey23 said:

Can anyone post the article?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Amlaham said:

The best option really is turning the Astrodome into its own mixed use development project. Besides, it would be a blight to have it standing abandoned next to NRG Stadium during the World Cup, the most global high profile event this city has ever hosted in its entire history. I’ve always envisioned to walls of the Dome as the hotel component with balconies facing inside and out, like the Marriott City Centre Hotel at Rogers Centre (formerly Toronto SkyDome). The floor could be a flex space that could be used for a variety of uses:

• Column free convention space for OTC

• Events during Rodeo Houston
• Pregame festivities for Texans and other events like the Super Bowl, Final Four, or WrestleMania) 

• Climate controlled music festivals 

• Non-event days, it becomes a park. 

Option B: If the powers in charge insist on the Dome becoming added convention space only, mixed use development should go in the Orange lot linking MetroRail to the Dome, NRG Stadium and NRG Arena. Think of it as a grand entrance for pedestrians commuting via MetroRail, part of the target audience they seek to build bars and restaurants for in the first place. It also makes the walk from the rail platform to the venues a better experience. I would also like to expand the commuting options by building an on site, dedicated transit center for Park & Ride service, preferably next to (or near) the MetroRail platform. Think of it as a permanent multimodal transit station that could by used by the NRG Park and the neighborhood/city. I’d also like a fancy faux train shed canopy like at Cypress P&R haha. Make it look and appear safe so it encourages use that  might potential create more customers for the mixed use developments they seek to build. 

In a perfect world, we get both a renovated Astrodome mixed use hotel development with the grand entrance and multimodal transit center in the Orange lots. Maybe one day they actually read or hear this. 

• Like 8

23 hours ago, steve1363 said:

Disappointingly, and conspicuously, no mention of how the Astrodome could contribute to development of the area.   😒

I would read nothing in to that.  It listed the Astrodome along with the other facilities at NRG Park, with no particular mention of how any of them could contribute. This is in the VERY early stages of discussions.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

• The title was changed to NRG Park Mixed-Use Development
On 3/28/2023 at 1:26 PM, bookey23 said:

there's no good reason for the area around NRG to be such a barren wasteland. Especially now that Helix Park is going to be a 5 minute drive away from the stadium, it's not like NRG is in the middle of nowhere.

Where's your sense of optimism??

• Like 1

The idea that a non profit organization and a sports franchise in the Texans who stadium was paid for by tax revenue along with the taxes paid on the Dome, neither the Houston Rodeo nor the Texas should get a say over what happens to the Dome. The Dome is owned by the Tax payers and not those organizations. For far too long we have let the Dome sit there looking pitiful because have let powers have say who shouldn't have a powerful say in the matter. The Dome should of been converted into a hotel, or at least have the floor raised for underground parking with convention space on ground floor years ago. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, cougarpad said:

The idea that a non profit organization and a sports franchise in the Texans who stadium was paid for by tax revenue along with the taxes paid on the Dome, neither the Houston Rodeo nor the Texas should get a say over what happens to the Dome. The Dome is owned by the Tax payers and not those organizations. For far too long we have let the Dome sit there looking pitiful because have let powers have say who shouldn't have a powerful say in the matter. The Dome should of been converted into a hotel, or at least have the floor raised for underground parking with convention space on ground floor years ago. 

Well, the voters technically had their say on the matter and said no thanks.  Not sure how you can blame the Rodeo or the Texans for that one.

Houston voters don't approve referendum to save Astrodome (espn.com)

Hidalgo torpedoed the parking garage proposal--hopefully this planning effort will result in a new concept for the Astrodome that can be packaged into the new leases.

Note the timeframe for all of these improvements per the article is . . . 2032!

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, cougarpad said:

NRG Stadium was paid for with bonds.  The bonds are backed by (and paid for) with a combination of revenue streams:  1.  Houston Rodeo lease payments.  2. Houston Texans lease payments.  3. Hotel Occupancy Taxes  and 4.  Taxes on Rental cars and 5. a surtax on every Rodeo and Texans ticket.  Both NRG Arena and NRG Center were paid for in similar fashion.  Both the Rodeo and the Texans have contractual rights to the entire complex, for which they pay a lot of money.

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 3

Hopefully we've come so far since 2013, with tangible proof of what investment in public spaces can do for the City, that an imaginative and inventive concept to repurpose the Astrodome will be a slam dunk for voter approval.  I know there was a lot of blowback against Lina for killing the most recent (IMO totally blah) garage concept, but maybe history will prove it a blessing.

• Like 6

The area once occupied as Pierce Junction is sure taking shape.  You have these large scale opportunities nearby:

University of Texas property on Holmes Road: 307-acres.

NRG Park Mixed-Use: 350-acres.

TMC BioPort: 500-acres.

There are also several 20 to 50 acre parcels for sale in the TMC area as well.

On 3/31/2023 at 9:54 PM, emmanume said:

https://twitter.com/emmanume/status/1633154154267922432?s=46&t=8G68HPZIZnj4GJR7xJwCUg

Would be so amazing to have a dense city built out there. I was in Dallas in victory park and it’s so cool how the AA Center is now surrounded by high rises, shops and the trailhead for a world class greenway

CE7F1AFC-F72F-4E5B-B8E6-6521E8A24AE5.jpeg

58722279-684A-4959-8D5F-F721A568ACB2.jpeg

Where would the funds come from? I feel like the lots would cost too much to buy and develop, and who would want to live there? Who would want to visit? The 12 Texans fans sure aren't enough to make it worthwhile. Would they ditch the lots for the rodeo? I don't see it as a popular idea, at least right now, but I'm wrong about a lot

AAC is adjacent to downtown. This would be like if they developed Midtown here around a stadium. I've been to that area in Dallas and it is always dead. Lot's of density but no real vibe. And downtown Dallas is worse that Houston for nightlife. The Deep Ellum side is nice even if quickly gentrifying. I remember that while area used to be a wasteland of parking lots and now it is filling in nice there too.

• Like 6

On 3/28/2023 at 12:23 PM, steve1363 said:

Disappointingly, and conspicuously, no mention of how the Astrodome could contribute to development of the area.   😒

Because the whispers on the street is because no one wants to foot the bill for redevelopment, its contribution will be that it won't exist anymore. 

Edit: The issue is that redevelopment is supposedly extremely expensive, where asbestos abatement and destruction is cheaper. The issue is bringing it down without messing up all the other buildings. They are in a pickle.

Edited by X.R.

On 3/28/2023 at 11:28 AM, Amlaham said:

I wonder if he’s talking specifically about the parking lots around the stadium or just the NRG area in general? 

• Like 2

On 4/3/2023 at 11:17 AM, X.R. said:

Because the whispers on the street is because no one wants to foot the bill for redevelopment, its contribution will be that it won't exist anymore. 

Edit: The issue is that redevelopment is supposedly extremely expensive, where asbestos abatement and destruction is cheaper. The issue is bringing it down without messing up all the other buildings. They are in a pickle.

It’s time to let the Astrodome go. Have a miniature playground of it in the middle of a park space. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, nate4l1f3 said:

I wonder if he’s talking specifically about the parking lots around the stadium or just the NRG area in general? 

I think he's talking about developing the area of the park itself, and the only area thats developable is the parking lots. 

• Like 3

18 hours ago, nate4l1f3 said:

He's not talking "specifically" about anything. ;-)  He's really just talking about starting to talk. This is in the VERY early stages.  Actually, the pre-very early stages.  Talking about getting together to talk about what we can do with the complex.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Houston19514 said:

He's not talking "specifically" about anything. ;-)  He's really just talking about starting to talk. This is in the VERY early stages.  Actually, the pre-very early stages.  Talking about getting together to talk about what we can do with the complex.

Guys...I think we need to talk about how we talk about talking about talking.

• Haha 7

On 4/8/2023 at 10:50 AM, Houston19514 said:

. bummer. Was hoping the 2026 World Cup was in play. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

On upgrades to existing facilities...

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2023/07/19/nrg-park-upgrades-financing-jci.html?cx_testId=40&cx_testVariant=cx_27&cx_artPos=1#cxrecs_s

"Walsh ultimately turned to Johnson Controls International, the building technology and services company that was managing NRG Park’s chillers and boilers. Not only could JCI provide the necessary facility upgrades, but it would also finance the $34 million project while guaranteeing cost savings of $54 million across the next 20 years. The partnership would effectively cover upgrade expenses and the cost of capital while ultimately leaving Harris County, which owns NRG Park, with a financial surplus. It blew away any competing financing options."

• Like 3

Project Details

Project No: 23040706
Date : 2023/05/23 00:00:00
USE : TEMPORARY PEDESTRIAN BRIDGES/HOUSTON TEX
Owner/Occupant : *HOUSTON TEXANS
Job Address : 8400 KIRBY DR 77054
Valuation : $ 115,000
Permit Type : 13
FCC Group : Structures Other than Buildings
Buyer : BORNHAUSER RICK
Address : 2 NRG PARK 77054
Phone : (832) 667-2318

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, ChannelTwoNews said:

On upgrades to existing facilities...

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2023/07/19/nrg-park-upgrades-financing-jci.html?cx_testId=40&cx_testVariant=cx_27&cx_artPos=1#cxrecs_s

"Walsh ultimately turned to Johnson Controls International, the building technology and services company that was managing NRG Park’s chillers and boilers. Not only could JCI provide the necessary facility upgrades, but it would also finance the $34 million project while guaranteeing cost savings of $54 million across the next 20 years. The partnership would effectively cover upgrade expenses and the cost of capital while ultimately leaving Harris County, which owns NRG Park, with a financial surplus. It blew away any competing financing options."

More details, without a paywall:

https://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/Journal/Issues/2023/07/17/Insiders/finance

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, kennyc05 said:

That's a good question 😵‍💫

Off topic I see the Spurs want to build a new arena in downtown San Antonio it makes me wonder what we're gonna do with Toyota Center.

I also wonder about NRG Stadium.

I fully expect to start hearing some rumblings about needing a newer stadium in the next decade.

The new stadiums are light years better than what we built in 2000-2002.

Hopefully they will build the new one in Ea-Do so we can have a true sports district.

• Like 3