Paco Jones

On 11/17/2021 at 11:58 AM, ljchou said:

They're all basically amusement park-like or luxury experiencel. I'm hoping it's not the former.

I don't consider Landry's Seafood to fit in either of those categories, it fits in a 3rd category: bland food.

Saltgrass isn't really a luxury experience.

there's a ton of other restaurants as part of the Landry's experience, I definitely find most of their food 'safe' and by safe, I mean bland.

however, for Landry's to toss anything in the east end is a big win for the area, so many do enjoy and respect the food from the group.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, samagon said:

I don't consider Landry's Seafood to fit in either of those categories, it fits in a 3rd category: bland food.

Saltgrass isn't really a luxury experience.

there's a ton of other restaurants as part of the Landry's experience, I definitely find most of their food 'safe' and by safe, I mean bland.

however, for Landry's to toss anything in the east end is a big win for the area, so many do enjoy and respect the food from the group.

Why on earth would you consider chain restaurants with a touristy ambiance that serve “bland” food to be “a big win for the area”? The bland people who like bland food that frequent these restaurants almost exclusively live out in the suburbs, and fortunately there are plenty of locations out in those areas for anything in the Fertitta portfolio.

I could maybe see something of a customer base for people coming “into the city” to go to an Astros game or whatever, but if that’s the case why wouldn’t they want to try something new instead of the same bland, basic options they have out in Spring or whatever?

On 11/17/2021 at 11:32 AM, Houston19514 said:

Because all Landry's projects are exactly the same?

Downtown Aquarium

Downtown Westin Hotel/Vic & Anthony's

The Post Oak

Kemah Boardwalk

Galveston Pleasure Pier

San Luis Resort 

I didn't say they were all the same. I don't personally think any one of those things is a fit for the East End.

7 hours ago, 77011transplant said:

A friend (a fully grown adult woman) LOVES Rainforest Cafe. She says it's her favorite restaurant. So there's at least a market of one for this. 

I'd go.  My wife and I had one of our first dates at a Rainforest Cafe in Minnesota.  Because of that, it has a special place for us, and we go to one in each city we live.

I seem to remember that the one on Galveston was extra special because it had a tunnel of love ride.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thedistrict84 said:

Why on earth would you consider chain restaurants with a touristy ambiance that serve “bland” food to be “a big win for the area”?

Maybe because they draw in other businesses.

If a big  chain sees potential in an area, other companies will follow.  This isn't just a theory, it's how a lot of retail works.  For example, when a new mall scores an Apple Store, other stores will fall all over themselves to get a space there, too.  It's why retail real estate developers sometimes have fake almost-Apple Stores drawn into their renderings.  It brings in interest from others.

Back in my college marketing classes, we learned that one of the diner chains (Denny's, I think) famously did zero location research.  It just built next to Holiday Inns whenever it could.  It piggybacked off of the hotel's research.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, editor said:

If a big  chain sees potential in an area, other companies will follow.  This isn't just a theory, it's how a lot of retail works.  For example, when a new mall scores an Apple Store, other stores will fall all over themselves to get a space there, too.  It's why retail real estate developers sometimes have fake almost-Apple Stores drawn into their renderings.  It brings in interest from others.

Back in my college marketing classes, we learned that one of the diner chains (Denny's, I think) famously did zero location research.  It just built next to Holiday Inns whenever it could.  It piggybacked off of the hotel's research.

That's a very fair point. A business that has an established reputation draws people. 

25 minutes ago, editor said:

Oh I understand all that, I’m just not sure the “chain restaurant commonly found on the feeder road of I-45” is the direction that would be best for the East End to go.

Admittedly, I’m probably a bit more invested in what happens with the Olshan property than most because I live two blocks away. A touristy theme restaurant would probably be the worst case scenario in terms of what could go there.

If it’s on the bottom floor of a mixed use development with other retail, that’s perfectly fine. I’m just worried about other inner-loop Landry’s locations like the Saltgrass and Cadillac Bar on Shepherd, and the accompanying acre of parking.

Edited by thedistrict84
Clarified.
  • Like 1

Worse than a rusty old lumber yard, sea of warehouses, chemical plant, storage facility, giant parking lot with a CVS in the middle or suburban style strip center? Do you know where you are? I understand why a touristy themed restaurant wouldn't be someone's first choice, but believe me, a Tillman themed anything is not the worst case scenario for that neighborhood. 

Edited by West Timer
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, I'm Not a Robot said:

Looks like some leveling has begun from what I see driving by and the photos in this thread. There were also crews at the future roundabout yesterday when I drove by. Seems like some movement is finally happening at this intersection. 

Woo!

• 2 months later...
10 hours ago, Urbannizer said:

I was suggesting that since the rendering that I was relating too above, had no signage from any Landrys or Fertitta owned establishment, it was possibly a sign that they weren't the intended developer. Often in renderings they put the names of proposed establishments in the render. Sapo added the doctored rendering below my quote and added Rainforest and Downtown Aquarium as a joke. I hope that clarifies my intent.

2 hours ago, ljchou said:

Can you explain this? I feel like it's a joke but it went over my head.

• Thanks 1

On 1/27/2022 at 12:38 AM, Urbannizer said:

I think this must be a different development because it looks almost nothing like the other design and nothing like the other photos on the same link couple this with nothing on the Mill's website indicating the design changed, especially considering that there is a 3D tour available elsewhere that maintains the other design. https://canvas360tours.com/TheMill/canvas/

I personally prefer the design more consistently shown, but I guess we should see soon considering this thing is supposed to be built by October. 

Edited by I'm Not a Robot

22 minutes ago, I'm Not a Robot said:

I think this must be a different development because it looks almost nothing like the other design and nothing like the other photos on the same link couple this with nothing on the Mill's website indicating the design changed, especially considering that there is a 3D tour available elsewhere that maintains the other design. https://canvas360tours.com/TheMill/canvas/

I personally prefer the design more consistently shown, but I guess we should see soon considering this thing is supposed to be built by October. 

Some firms and contractors will continue to show earlier illustrations because it shows the evolution of the project. I'm working on a project right now where we showed one thing at a meeting and now will have to make some adjustments for the next one. Meaning I'll be producing new renders, new site plan, and a new animation. Designs change all the time and more often then people might guess. Honestly, the image shown above isn't that different. I'd imagine that was a phase of the design where they were exploring the cost benefits of placing more residential on site than office/retail. This happens all the time. I know there is usually a kneejerk reaction with each release on here of new or different renderings, but most of the time there is no context of when this was released by the firm or presented. Either way both designs are good. Both will be a massive improvement for the area. Considering what has been exhibited lately and even what is shown on Arch Con's website what we have been seeing lately is latest and greatest.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Luminare said:

Some firms and contractors will continue to show earlier illustrations because it shows the evolution of the project. I'm working on a project right now where we showed one thing at a meeting and now will have to make some adjustments for the next one. Meaning I'll be producing new renders, new site plan, and a new animation. Designs change all the time and more often then people might guess. Honestly, the image shown above isn't that different. I'd imagine that was a phase of the design where they were exploring the cost benefits of placing more residential on site than office/retail. This happens all the time. I know there is usually a kneejerk reaction with each release on here of new or different renderings, but most of the time there is no context of when this was released by the firm or presented. Either way both designs are good. Both will be a massive improvement for the area. Considering what has been exhibited lately and even what is shown on Arch Con's website what we have been seeing lately is latest and greatest.

Yeah I agree. This thing is def going through revisions before we see a final design. Hopefully they are in the final round of changes. 

• 4 weeks later...