Pedestrian Downtown

quietstorm

On 4/4/2019 at 12:34 PM, AnTonY said:

Of course it has, people are too busy dancing around the answer and bloviating to infinity rather than acknowledging the point and its nuances. Reefmonkey did this a lot, and it really kills the quality of discussion.

Smearing me in absentia to try to distract from the fact that you're making a fool of yourself in yet another discussion - you're a gutless tool.

Edited by Reefmonkey
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, CaptainJilliams said:

We visited the JFK Assassination Museum, it was very nice! I wouldn't say Houston has a museum quite like that downtown, but we do have Sam Houston Park and The Heritage Society (granted those houses could use some upkeep and maintenance). Most of the museums in Houston are centralized in the Museum District near the Medical Center. 

The Majestic Theater is also very nice, but again, I would say that the Houston Theater District is superior to the one in Dallas, just in terms of venues and performances the city hosts.

And in terms of Neiman Marcus, I have to be honest in saying I didn't even know one existed downtown. That being said, I have to question whether or not having that store downtown is a significant draw for locals or tourists. True, Houston doesn't have a major retail store like that downtown (correct me if I'm wrong), but we do have GreenStreet and The Shops at Houston Center. By themselves, they aren't anything too impressive, but at least there are renovations/expansions planned for both venues. Furthermore, most of the high-dollar retail is concentrated in Uptown Houston with the Galleria.

Yeah, I've been to the original Neiman Marcus several times, it's nice and all in a mid-20th Century downtown department store way, but I keep hearing retail is dead, I'm not sure how important downtown department stores are to a vibrant urban life anymore. Up until a few years ago Houston still had the original downtown Foleys, and Macy's closed it because it wasn't making enough money. I agree about Houston's theatre district being superior to Dallas'. Dallas' only really nice downtown venue is the Meyerson, but it is only for symphony and other musical performances. I don't understand why they built it the way they did, but it was extremely short-sighted, which is why if Dallasites wanna see the national touring production of Hamilton, they've gotta go down to the Music Hall at Fairpark, which is a dump.

And I'm not saying this to diss Dallas, it was my college town, I visit friends there a lot I actually like it, I could live there again. I always see Dallas and Houston as two equally good, slightly different cities, I've always thought the back-and-forth rivalry was silly.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Reefmonkey said:

And I'm not saying this to diss Dallas, it was my college town, I visit friends there a lot I actually like it, I could live there again. I always see Dallas and Houston as two equally good, slightly different cities, I've always thought the back-and-forth rivalry was silly.

Agree. I don't think they're all that different TBH. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Reefmonkey said:

Yeah, I've been to the original Neiman Marcus several times, it's nice and all in a mid-20th Century downtown department store way, but I keep hearing retail is dead, I'm not sure how important downtown department stores are to a vibrant urban life anymore. Up until a few years ago Houston still had the original downtown Foleys, and Macy's closed it because it wasn't making enough money. I agree about Houston's theatre district being superior to Dallas'. Dallas' only really nice downtown venue is the Meyerson, but it is only for symphony and other musical performances. I don't understand why they built it the way they did, but it was extremely short-sighted, which is why if Dallasites wanna see the national touring production of Hamilton, they've gotta go down to the Music Hall at Fairpark, which is a dump.

The Winspear opera house, Wily theatre, and Moody performance hall, all in the arts district, are also quite nice. Hamilton would have played at the Winspear, but there was a struggle amongst the arts groups and the music hall group won. 

1 hour ago, j_cuevas713 said:

Why would we want a museum where one of the greatest presidents to ever live was murdered!? Lol Did we forget he made his infamous speech at Rice here in Houston??? 

Ellum* but yeah be sarcastic or whatever butthurt you want to be lol

It just seemed strange that you “lived” in Dallas for 4 years and didn’t  know the proper name for Deep Ellum. 

4 hours ago, crock said:

Downtown Dallas still has the Original Neiman Marcus, the Majestic Theater and the extremely tourist-y area around the JFK Assassination.   Downtown Houston doesn't have a department store, open historic theater, or tourist destination that rival those spots, so to a traveller/tourist/suburbanite, Dallas's downtown still might seem like it has more to offer.  That being said, downtown dallas has literally 1 decent bar right now: Midnight Rambler.   

Don’t forget the Dallas museum of art, nasher  sculpture garden, Perot science museum, Dallas world aquarium, new holocaust museum, old red courthouse museum, arts district, farmers market, reunion tower, pioneer park sculptures, klyde warren park (which bridged the gap between downtown and uptown), west end ( although only a shadow of its former self but still has some neat architecture), Victory Park ( which is exploding with development), etc..., all are in the core and are within walking distance of each other. And with a 5 minute Uber ride, you can be in Deep Ellum, the Cedars, Lower Greenville, uptown, etc... Dallas’s smaller size sometimes works to its advantage. 

Edited by Jbarn

Yawn. You still have to sit in a 2-hour long traffic jam if you want to see the Rangers lose.

Let's see, in Houston the pedestrians have The Wortham, The Alley, Jones Hall, Jones Plaza, the downtown aquarium, Discovery Green, The GRB Convention Center, Tranquility Park, Sesquicentennial Park, Sam Houston Park, Greenstreet, The Shops at Houston Center, Market Square, the Astros, the Dynamo, the Rockets, Buffalo Bayou Park, Eleanor Tinsley Park and the Johnny Steele. Midtown is exploding with development, ect (all within walking distance of DT). A 5-minute Metrorail will get you to the greatest museum district in the state (please don't make me list all 150 of them), Hermann Park, the zoo, the Miller Outdoor Theatre, Rice University, the Texas Medical Center 1,2 and soon to be 3 (also exploding with development) and that stadium where they have the Superbowl sometimes. All of that can be done without a car.  A 5-minute Uber will get you to Montrose, the Heights and the Kirby area (also exploding with development) ect. ect. ect. Let's not forget Uptown Houston isn't really that far away either. 

Edited by Response

5 minutes ago, Response said:

Yawn. You still have to sit in a 2-hour long traffic jam if you want to see the Rangers lose.

Let's see, in Houston the pedestrians have The Wortham, The Alley, Jones Hall, Jones Plaza, the downtown aquarium, Discovery Green, Tranquility Park, Sesquicentennial Park, Sam Houston Park, Greenstreet, The Shops at Houston Center, Market Square, the Astros, the Dynamo, the Rockets, Buffalo Bayou Park, Eleanor Tinsley Park and the Johnny Steele. Midtown is exploding with development, ect (all within walking distance of DT). A 5-minute Metrorail will get you to the greatest museum district in the state (please don't make me list all 150 of them), Hermann Park, the zoo, the Miller Outdoor Theatre, Rice University, the Texas Medical Center 1,2 and soon to be 3 (also exploding with development) and that stadium where they have the Superbowl sometimes. All of that can be done without a car.  A 5-minute Uber will get you to Montrose, the Heights and the Kirby area (also exploding with development) ect. ect. ect. Let's not forget Uptown Houston isn't really that far away either. 

Not one single thing you listed in the actual core would get me down there as a tourist, unless I were going to see a performance of some type. 

2 minutes ago, Response said:

I'm sure Discovery Green has as many tourist as your little Klyde Warren. Your stuff isn't exactly Fisherman's Wharf or Buckingham Palace either you know.

Totally agree about that part. Downtown Dallas has come very far, but has very far to go still, just as downtown Houston has and does. I just think that from a tourist standpoint, Dallas has more to offer in a more compact, walkable area than Houston does. Dallas smaller size, as is always mentioned on here, plays to its benefit.

@ Barn

LOL. Dallas has no major tourist attractions. Everything you listed are boring little things that can be found in just about every city. Come on, Farmer's Market? Right. Dallas 'tourist' attractions are as mundane as Indianapolis' tourist attractions.

Edited by Response

3 minutes ago, Response said:

@ Barn

LOL. Dallas has no major tourist attractions. Everything you listed are boring little things that can be found in just about every city. Come on, Farmer's Market? Right. Dallas 'tourist' attractions are as mundane as Indianapolis' tourist attractions.

Mundane? Maybe, but tourist attractions nevertheless. 

1 hour ago, Jbarn said:

The Winspear opera house, Wily theatre, and Moody performance hall, all in the arts district, are also quite nice. Hamilton would have played at the Winspear, but there was a struggle amongst the arts groups and the music hall group won. 

It just seemed strange that you “lived” in Dallas for 4 years and didn’t  know the proper name for Deep Ellum. 

It's not that I didn't it's called auto-correct on your phone

5 minutes ago, Jbarn said:

Mundane? Maybe, but tourist attractions nevertheless. 

I think you have a very broad definition of the term 'tourist attraction'. People aren't traveling to Dallas in any great numbers to see any of the things on your list.

Edited by Response

2 hours ago, Response said:

A 5-minute Metrorail will get you to the greatest museum district in the state (please don't make me list all 150 of them), Hermann Park, the zoo, the Miller Outdoor Theatre, Rice University, the Texas Medical Center 1,2 and soon to be 3 (also exploding with development) and that stadium where they have the Superbowl sometimes. All of that can be done without a car.  A 5-minute Uber will get you to Montrose, the Heights and the Kirby area (also exploding with development) ect. ect. ect. Let's not forget Uptown Houston isn't really that far away either. 

Central Station Main to Museum District station on the Metrorail will take you about 14 minutes, almost triple the 5 you mention.  And you won't get to the Kirby area from the middle of downtown in a 5 minute Uber.  At least 15, and more like 25 if there's any traffic.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, rechlin said:

Central Station Main to Museum District station on the Metrorail will take you about 14 minutes, almost triple the 5 you mention.  And you won't get to the Kirby area from the middle of downtown in a 5 minute Uber.  At least 15, and more like 25 if there's any traffic.

Whatever. The point is there is a lot of cool stuff that a person without a car can get to from Downtown Houston - even if you are riding on a train that is 9 minutes late.

38fdc8585ebf6d2fc1d474604cd515dc.jpg

Edited by Response
  • Like 3
  • Haha 4

On 2/7/2019 at 3:24 PM, kbates2 said:

HOUSTON%20MAIN%20AT%20FRANKLIN%201928.jp

Not sure how long it has been there but you can kind of see the two buildings that were there before on the left in this photo.  One was a bank (the far one), and not sure of what the three story building was next to it.

Images from NRHP Inventory - Nomination Form

200 Main.PNG

description.PNG

• Like 5

On 4/9/2019 at 11:18 AM, Reefmonkey said:

Smearing me in absentia to try to distract from the fact that you're making a fool of yourself in yet another discussion - you're a gutless tool.

I already schooled you in two other threads, looks like we're going to have a three-peat. 😊

4 hours ago, Reefmonkey said:

^^^^The Dunning-Kruger Effect displayed in real life^^^^^

and on the internet too...which is on here forever. At least if this was in real life we would probably forget about it in the coming years. But nope. Its here...forever.

EDIT: I say this also because there are things that I remember posting on this forum that I look back at and say...wow I was an idiot and why did I put that on something that will be there forever? Its why you should always be very careful with how you conduct yourself even if you are online. Unfortunately its something that must be learned through wisdom and not through knowledge.

Edited by Luminare
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1

On 4/18/2019 at 9:23 PM, Luminare said:

and on the internet too...which is on here forever. At least if this was in real life we would probably forget about it in the coming years. But nope. Its here...forever.

EDIT: I say this also because there are things that I remember posting on this forum that I look back at and say...wow I was an idiot and why did I put that on something that will be there forever? Its why you should always be very careful with how you conduct yourself even if you are online. Unfortunately its something that must be learned through wisdom and not through knowledge.

The internet isn't as forever as you may think. 

I can't find my geocities page anywhere.

On 4/24/2019 at 9:36 AM, samagon said:

The internet isn't as forever as you may think. 

I can't find my geocities page anywhere.

If people can find bad photos in yearbooks, or bad writing in old newspapers...that one actually has to seek out and find in real life, then imagine that but even more online. It is there. For instance I just deleted my facebook, but was sure to download everything I ever did on there, so I know exactly what I did and where I did it. But the fact that all that data is weblinks that bring you to a page in your browser to view the file means that the data even if you delete your account is going to be flying and hiding somewhere on some server until the right link is found, case in point with my yearbook and bad writing examples. With the spoken word in everyday use we eventually forget 75-85% of our day to day experiences and whats left mutates over time (like a game of telephone). What you put in print in all forms doesn't change though. It stays that way forever and when you revisit it it will be the same words as it was written then as you read it today. Thats why I say one should choose their words carefully because even if you remember the context and circumstances of every single interaction or word typed...nobody upon their first encounter with it will.

Edited by Luminare
  • Like 1