Pedestrian Downtown

quietstorm

15 minutes ago, brijonmang said:

I was recently commissioned to do a lot of photography for Main Street from downtown through the Med Center.  The city is aggressively trying to promote this corridor and I'm looking forward to how it will continue to grow.

Looking forward to seeing your work. What I appreciate about what's happening along Main right now is that the growth feels organic. It's taken quite a while, but there's synergy among the rail, restaurants, pedestrians, etc.

For me, its been whenever I'm in Downtown at night. Especially weekends, but even during the week as well. It used to be that the only time there were people walking around at night on Main or at Discovery Green was during or after a sporting event. Now there are people everywhere! Its really exciting to see. Market Square as well. Those right now are the biggest: Main Street from the Bayou to Dallas (more so towards Texas Ave), Discovery Green, and Market Square. Been exciting to see and its a great start.

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, Luminare said:

For me, its been whenever I'm in Downtown at night. Especially weekends, but even during the week as well. It used to be that the only time there were people walking around at night on Main or at Discovery Green was during or after a sporting event. Now there are people everywhere! Its really exciting to see. Market Square as well. Those right now are the biggest: Main Street from the Bayou to Dallas (more so towards Texas Ave), Discovery Green, and Market Square. Been exciting to see and its a great start.

And what's cool is that during "business hours", especially lunchtime, there are families, students, empty nesters, tourists, business travelers, etc. in addition to the usual work crowd--and no one seems out of place; which looks like what you see in NY, San Francisco, Chicago, etc. albeit on a much smaller scale.  What it doesn't feel like is downtown Austin or Uptown Dallas (which I both enjoy), but somehow more "real" and unique to our Bayou City.

Edited by quietstorm
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, nate4l1f3 said:

Random question:  how long has the parking garage on Main and Congress been there and what exactly was there before? That thing always looked out of place to me and looks like a huge wasted opportunity.

HOUSTON%20MAIN%20AT%20FRANKLIN%201928.jp

Not sure how long it has been there but you can kind of see the two buildings that were there before on the left in this photo.  One was a bank (the far one), and not sure of what the three story building was next to it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, quietstorm said:

And what's cool is that during "business hours", especially lunchtime, there are families, students, empty nesters, tourists, business travelers, etc. in addition to the usual work crowd--and no one seems out of place; which looks like what you see in NY, San Francisco, Chicago, etc. albeit on a much smaller scale.  What it doesn't feel like is downtown Austin or Uptown Dallas (which I both enjoy), but somehow more "real" and unique to our Bayou City.

Yes. Particularly to the tourist question. I think we can all agree that we don't necessary want Houston to flooded with tourists like other cities, but its nice that the city is getting to that point where a tourist would even dare walk around places like this. Its going to be a very inviting change. When the tourist start coming its going to want us to improve the city even more and invite people to this city even more. Our city has a chance for all these things to manifest in a very real and genuine way. Its like that previous GQ article that came out. Unlike Austin or Dallas (which I love those cities and what they do), Houston ironically by not being completely planned out and try hard, it ends up evolving into an entity that is unique and genuine. Whatever strips of people this attracts it will definitely feel earned.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Luminare said:

Yes. Particularly to the tourist question. I think we can all agree that we don't necessary want Houston to flooded with tourists like other cities, but its nice that the city is getting to that point where a tourist would even dare walk around places like this. Its going to be a very inviting change. When the tourist start coming its going to want us to improve the city even more and invite people to this city even more. Our city has a chance for all these things to manifest in a very real and genuine way. Its like that previous GQ article that came out. Unlike Austin or Dallas (which I love those cities and what they do), Houston ironically by not being completely planned out and try hard, it ends up evolving into an entity that is unique and genuine. Whatever strips of people this attracts it will definitely feel earned.

It’s natrually getting to that point too which is a good sign we’re heading in the right direction. 

• Like 2

I don't think we'll ever have  the numbers of tourist like San Antonio or Austin. We just don't have the historical (Alamo), or capitol/geographical appeal that they do. 

I do believe that Houston has developed a very nice package of museums, restaurants, shopping districts, parks, proximity to Galveston and Nasa, and

an urban appeal that lots of folks will now want to come enjoy.

With the upcoming additions to our Museum district, the renovation of Memorial and Buffalo Bayou Parks, and recents announcements for the new 

Islamic center on Allen Parkway, Bullet train, the botanical gardens, and the Med Center, we will definitely see an influx in visitors.

I welcome them and I'm sure the merchants and hoteliers couldn't be happier.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bobruss said:

I don't think we'll ever have  the numbers of tourist like San Antonio or Austin. We just don't have the historical (Alamo), or capitol/geographical appeal that they do. 

I do believe that Houston has developed a very nice package of museums, restaurants, shopping districts, parks, proximity to Galveston and Nasa, and

an urban appeal that lots of folks will now want to come enjoy.

With the upcoming additions to our Museum district, the renovation of Memorial and Buffalo Bayou Parks, and recents announcements for the new 

Islamic center on Allen Parkway, Bullet train, the botanical gardens, and the Med Center, we will definitely see an influx in visitors.

I welcome them and I'm sure the merchants and hoteliers couldn't be happier.

Idk we keep doubting ourselves and proving ourseles wrong. First it was the light rail, then it was downtown, and both have proven us wrong. 

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, samagon said:

anyone that works in downtown and doesn't come out of the tunnels this week for some amazing weather better have a good medical excuse.

We've been having some wonderful springs of late. Actual Springs!

With upcoming pushes farther east along with bayou with East River and the Partnership, the location of downtown is going to get inferior real quick. The abominations of the 70s-80s already seem to have done much of the work, anywho.

13 minutes ago, AnTonY said:

With upcoming pushes farther east along with bayou with East River and the Partnership, the location of downtown is going to get inferior real quick. The abominations of the 70s-80s already seem to have done much of the work, anywho.

Perhaps we should flatten downtown and plant a forest there?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, AnTonY said:

What do you mean by location?

2 hours ago, august948 said:

Perhaps we should flatten downtown and plant a forest there?

Less concrete, more trees, great shade for the pedestrians in the heat of Texas.

28 minutes ago, Texasota said:

What do you mean by location?

The spot that downtown is located.

1 hour ago, august948 said:

Since the population center of Houston has actually moved westward over time, I vote we demolish downtown for parkland and rebuild downtown at City Centre. 

Who's with me?

How about we DON'T rebuild it and just have businesses located in widespread places? "Downtown" is such an outdated idea and causes so many issues.

I would like to have a big park with a nice water feature for all the birds and wildlife where City Hall is 😁

• Like 1

2 hours ago, august948 said:

Since the population center of Houston has actually moved westward over time, I vote we demolish downtown for parkland and rebuild downtown at City Centre. 

Who's with me?

Nah, the west will become inferior too. The ammenities offered wouldn't differentiate Houston from Dallas (which people seem to hate). The east, at least, offers real natural potential.

4 hours ago, kbates2 said:

Right, clearly the location of downtown should be moved east or west due to upcoming pushes.  Move abominations in the opposite direction. PrObLeM sOlVeD.

No physical movement, just reshuffling of population mass. Especially easier to do in Houston since the growth follows the market.

1 hour ago, gmac said:

How about we DON'T rebuild it and just have businesses located in widespread places? "Downtown" is such an outdated idea and causes so many issues.

I would like to have a big park with a nice water feature for all the birds and wildlife where City Hall is 😁

The concept of a "downtown" is a strictly American phenomenon, anywho. Most modern cities around the globe are polycentric.

Edited by AnTonY

26 minutes ago, AnTonY said:

Nah, the west will become inferior too. The ammenities offered wouldn't differentiate Houston from Dallas (which people seem to hate). The east, at least, offers real natural potential.

Well, it's true the east side does have certain amenities that differentiate us from Dallas....

Houston-Ship-Channelweb.png

It the west side becomes less popular, that'll means less traffic.  I'll be looking forward to that.

• Like 1

So Downtown is currently on the edge of the Western 'desirable' development side of the city.  That desirable developer side is starting to push eastward making downtown more central.  Seems better location-wise to me.  Move it physically.