Ivy Lofts: Condominium High-Rise At 2604 Leeland St.

I have a slightly different view on this. While a lot of your concerns are logical. I'm old enough to remember (and I'm not very old) coming to the ball park with family and parking a sea of empty lots and derelict buildings. When I was there recently, looking around at the town houses, the lofts, and the soccer stadium, I was surprised how close the Ivy Lofts was to an invigorated area. This is probably because it seemed father away on a map, to my eye. But, in comparison with the past, the future for Live Oak seems pretty bright.

• Like 1

I dont think anyone is arguing that the area is not improving. I just do not think it is a good location for a super-urban, walkable highrise. If you're going to sacrifice living space, you need to be able to walk out of your building and be in the middle of a city. 

• Like 6

On 7/26/2016 at 0:58 PM, terra002 said:

I dont think anyone is arguing that the area is not improving. I just do not think it is a good location for a super-urban, walkable highrise. If you're going to sacrifice living space, you need to be able to walk out of your building and be in the middle of a city. 

This.

And I would agree...The future sure does seem bright here but it's not there yet. And to try to market relatively expensive micro-units here with almost nothing in close proximity... it's just not going to work yet. The project was a little too ambiguous but I do give them credit for trying.

Ambitious

Who are these guys?

A micro condo/hotel could work in this market, but not on the southside of east downtown. Downtown? Yes. Midtown along the light rail? A solid maybe. Feeling a bit isolated on the wrong side of US 59? Good luck.

Why are they so set on for sale units? The original building likely would have been a slam dunk as a more affordable rental option (comparatively speaking for the market). 

• 1 month later...
On 9/23/2016 at 8:44 PM, monarch said:

^^^ apparently following in the lofty footsteps of WHOLE FOODS MIDTOWN.  numerous renderings / concepts, lengthy construction start......

if you drag your feet long enough you may just have your grand opening when oil is rebounding rather than floundering. as all signs point to oil rebound day stretching farther and farther out, you gotta have a 'fish or cut bait day' for when you plan on your grand opening happening.

• Like 1

On 9/23/2016 at 8:41 PM, htownboy said:

http://swamplot.com/ivy-lofts-to-release-even-newer-drawings-in-october-break-ground-in-january/2016-09-23/

The new design is apparently not going to be the design that will be built. An even more updated design by a new architect will be released in mid-October.

I heard that the reason they need a new design is because Powers Brown quit the project.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I liked the first design because it was unusual.  I liked the second design even more because it was something very cool that was unlike anything else.  But the third design is entirely forgettable, easily confused with a number of other towers recently built or proposed.  Of course, if it never gets built this is moot, but it's a shame if this is the final design.  It just screams 2013.

• Like 2