Northwest Mall Developments

GovernorAggie

The site currently houses major and local retailers alike, including Palais Royal and Foot Locker. Levcor is currently working on a redevelopment plan to turn the project into a mixed-use, grocery-anchored development. Space is currently available at the site for short-term leasing.

from Levcor website....interesting

EDIT

Post Oak Market is an upcoming planned mixed use development on Levcor's Northwest Mall site. The project is currently in touch with key anchor tenants, which will inform the overall project development. The project will include hotel, residential, office and retail development within a dense, urban environment in the heart of Houston. Post Oak Market will promote walkability and new urbanism design principles, as well as the densification of Houston's urban core.

Post Oak Market will be located at the confluence of seven major thoroughfares in Houston - I-610 W, I-610 N, US 290, I-10, Hempstead Rd, 18th St and N. Post Oak Rd. The 290/I-10/I-610 interchange, at which the project is located, is undergoing a massive ~$3 bn redevelopment plan to improve connectivity and traffic flow, and will be completed in late 2017. In addition, discussions of the proposed high speed rail from Houston to Dallas is expected to have a station in the site's immediate area.

Further, the site is located minutes away from major Houston residential and commercial regions, including Galleria / Uptown (<10 min drive), the Greater Heights (<10 min drive), Spring Branch / Spring Valley (<10 min drive), Memorial Villages (10 min drive) and Downtown (10-15 min drive). Being at a critical interchange, Northwest Mall also has excellent access to and from Northwest and West Houston highly populated sub-regions Katy and Cy-Fair.

northwest mall will be Post Oak Market

http://levcor.com/projects/post-oak-market

Edited by Mab
  • Like 5

• 5 months later...

Gotta admit, it was kind of neat and sad the last time when I went there (2013-ish). There was a fountain...there was a Chick-fil-a Express that had closed for the day...there was perhaps the last Sesame Hut in existence...there was a soccer-focused place (I think) that had action figures...nothing like "Wow, this place is a treasure that needs to be memorialized" but to be honest, I'm surprised it lasted this long. The loss of Macy's no doubt damaged its prospects, and the removal of most of its parking lot (making it a pain to get around even the parking lot, one of the sides of the old Macy's has just one lane open up for clearance) for construction made it even harder. Would be surprised if the Macy's WASN'T torn down by the end of the year.

--

Also, when they say "renovating the interior" I'm thinking they'll probably turn it into an office building and/or outdoor facing tenants, they aren't saving Palais Royal and the other tenant they mentioned I believe is not quite flush with the interior either.

Edited by IronTiger
  • Like 2

On 3/4/2017 at 7:33 AM, IronTiger said:

Gotta admit, it was kind of neat and sad the last time when I went there (2013-ish). There was a fountain...there was a Chick-fil-a Express that had closed for the day...there was perhaps the last Sesame Hut in existence...there was a soccer-focused place (I think) that had action figures...nothing like "Wow, this place is a treasure that needs to be memorialized" but to be honest, I'm surprised it lasted this long. The loss of Macy's no doubt damaged its prospects, and the removal of most of its parking lot (making it a pain to get around even the parking lot, one of the sides of the old Macy's has just one lane open up for clearance) for construction made it even harder. Would be surprised if the Macy's WASN'T torn down by the end of the year.

--

Also, when they say "renovating the interior" I'm thinking they'll probably turn it into an office building and/or outdoor facing tenants, they aren't saving Palais Royal and the other tenant they mentioned I believe is not quite flush with the interior either.

My guess is the "renovation" of the interior is simply to keep the building online for extended use until more deals are done with the property in the future or some master plan is drafted for this site. No way they will keep this aging relic standing for long or in whatever master plan they come up with. Would be cheaper to tear it down than to "restore" or "reconfigure" or whatever "re" one could come up with.

• Like 1

Wait a minute. Are we all talking about the same run down out of date excuse for a retail center, in the middle of an industrial neighborhood surrounded by a wall of freeways, railroad tracks and every other physical barrier known to man to keep people away. Maybe we can get the state historical society and Ed Emmett together to save it for posterity along with the dome.

Better yet move the mall into the dome. Perfect. It could be like those chinese boxes. Open one and see whats inside. Then when you got to the bottom there would be a superfund site. 

• Like 7

4 hours ago, Luminare said:

My guess is the "renovation" of the interior is simply to keep the building online for extended use until more deals are done with the property in the future or some master plan is drafted for this site. No way they will keep this aging relic standing for long or in whatever master plan they come up with. Would be cheaper to tear it down than to "restore" or "reconfigure" or whatever "re" one could come up with.

You are probably right.  Second-tier malls like this are a dying breed.  I don't know about potential for mixed use, but I could picture a large apartment complex on the site. 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Timoric said:

I wonder if Amazon will take a look at one of these malls to have a place you can visit - brick and mortar to get stuff. If they can buy them cheap, why not do an experiment? Would people use it?

Amazon Drone Factory/Warehouse/Storage Facility/Home

• Like 5

I envision a retail power center going in here with maybe an apartment building or two and about a dozen pad sites. Perhaps an office building or two if we get really lucky.  Maybe they could keep the mall structure for the big box retail stores for cheaper than tearing down and rebuilding?

I'd like to hope for something more "urban", but I'm not going to set my expectations too high for this one just yet.

• Like 2

On 3/7/2017 at 7:46 PM, Sparrow said:

I envision a retail power center going in here with maybe an apartment building or two and about a dozen pad sites. Perhaps an office building or two if we get really lucky.  Maybe they could keep the mall structure for the big box retail stores for cheaper than tearing down and rebuilding?

I'd like to hope for something more "urban", but I'm not going to set my expectations too high for this one just yet.

Probably not even that, given it is hard to access and Palais Royal is going to be heading out. My guess is that it will become a modern industrial park, which would fit in with the antique mall (remember that it was a former industrial site nestled in industrial before becoming an antique mall...directories indicate it was originally a facility that manufactured fans). If not that, I can see more of an office building/hotel environment going in.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, nativehoustonion said:

This is a great topic.  A great spot for it, but cannot connect to buses. As they are building in San Francisco right next to the Saleforse Tower a large terminal with BART, MUNI, Heavy Rail and buses.  We are so far behind and the county and the city are just stupid. 

That's not a new terminal, it's a replacement and redevelopment of an existing bus terminal, with an extension of the Caltrain line from 4th and King to the new terminal(unlikely to be completed until 2026, apparently), and a pedestrian connection to the existing BART Embarcadero station near Market and Pine. It's easy to build a terminal when most of the connections are nearby or already exist. The San Francisco project is nothing like the proposals for the NW Mall site. San Francisco also has far higher density, and far less empty space, so there is more impetus for transit projects, and they make more sense there.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Ross said:

San Francisco also has far higher density, and far less empty space, so there is more impetus for transit projects, and they make more sense there.

There's somewhat of a chicken/egg situation here. Lack of transit makes it impossible for Houston to get anywhere near San Francisco in terms of density, but, especially since we are continuing to grow in population, there's no reason for that to continue in perpetuity. This really does seem like a great, catalyzing spot to work on that: 

• High speed rail connection to Dallas
  • Connect to Uptown BRT
  • Short term: express buses to downtown
  • Medium term: extend Green Line LRT to NW Transit along Washington
  • Long term: Extend high speed rail to downtown; add links to other cities
  • Like 6

21 hours ago, Ross said:

That's not a new terminal, it's a replacement and redevelopment of an existing bus terminal, with an extension of the Caltrain line from 4th and King to the new terminal(unlikely to be completed until 2026, apparently), and a pedestrian connection to the existing BART Embarcadero station near Market and Pine. It's easy to build a terminal when most of the connections are nearby or already exist. The San Francisco project is nothing like the proposals for the NW Mall site. San Francisco also has far higher density, and far less empty space, so there is more impetus for transit projects, and they make more sense there.

I'm referring to the future over 400,000 live inside the loop.  That will double in 15 t0 20 years have some sort plan now!

Edited by nativehoustonion
  • Like 4

• 9 months later...