Northwest Mall Developments

GovernorAggie

Given the recent report that the Houston-Dallas HSR could terminate in the Galleria / Uptown Park area rather than Downtown... is there a chance this site becomes the station (link to article below)?  A College Station stop was also referenced which would point to a 290 route into town.

I can't find the article, but my recollection is that 20-40% of JR profits are from associated real-estate development at their stations (hotels, retail, etc...).  A large site with additional development potential would seem reasonable If we assume they bring a similar model to the US.

[EDIT:  see 2013 financial report... ~25% operating profit comes from non-transportation though their subsidiary structure is complicated so that may not be exactly right ... https://www.jreast.co.jp/e/investor/ar/2013/pdf/ar_2013_all.pdf]

http://blog.chron.com/thehighwayman/2014/08/state-transportation-official-says-houston-dallas-rail-a-certainty/

Edited by SkylineView
  • Like 2

If that happens...I will kill myself >.>

Abandon shopping malls will be one of the bigger design/urban planning challenges my generation and the generation before will have to face in the coming decade or two. They present so many opportunities, but at the same time so many problems because of the shear scale of the land you are given. Especially since the immediate area is also vastly underdeveloped you get into a situation as to what exactly do you put there!? Mid-rise development doesn't really make much since because there is nothing else around it to support it....unless you decide to build a new town from scratch (which could be an option...a very interesting one I might add!). We don't need another entertainment venue as we have way to many. Theme park is out of the question because there are like two going up right now and not to mention it would be a real headache for this area. You can't build small residential as the value of those homes would plummet afterwards as a good portion of this area is still in decay and nobody builds those kinds of developments this deep into town anymore. Commercial campus?? Maybe if it was the right investor with a big brand. What I'm scared of is that it might be turned into distribution centers -.- since that is the main business of the immediate area. 

A large piece of land, mostly paved over, near the intersection of 3 freeways, central location in the metro area.  Sounds like the best use may well be for a distribution center.  Dead malls are usually in areas that are in decay so it's not really going to be that much of a challenge to figure out what to do with them.  Since the mall is an invention of the automobile age, they are frequently on or near highways and/or intersections of highways.  Those that are in decaying areas can go the distribution center route and those that are still in nice areas can be redeveloped into mixed use or indoor/outdoor retail (a la Memorial City Mall and Town & Country, now City Centre).

• 3 weeks later...

http://blog.chron.com/primeproperty/2014/09/major-mall-hits-the-market/

The owner of Northwest Mall, the regional shopping center tucked behind the massive roadway construction project at U.S. 290 and the 610 Loop, is selling the 52-acre property.

The site is ideally suited for a hotel, multifamily, office and retail development, said Rusty Tamlyn, senior managing director of HFF, which has the listing.

All of the tenants in thee 800,000-square-foot mall can be moved within a short timeframe, Tamlyn said.

Price expectations are in the $38 per square foot range or $86 million for the entire property. The owner would consider breaking up the site into multiple pieces.

Houston-based Levcor bought the property from Glimcher Realty Trust in 2007 with plans to renovate the site and potentially turn it into a mixed-use center.

Still think this would be a great spot for the HSR station, along with all of the aforementioned possibilities.

Too far away from DT, Med. center, Bellaire, Etc.

Still think this would be a great spot for the HSR station, along with all of the aforementioned possibilities.

Too far away from DT, Med. center, Bellaire, Etc.

I live on the other side of 610 from this mall

I love this area it is far from decayed and there's plenty of stuff to do around the area

The heights is an easy drive down 18th and the 290 and 10 corridors have plenty of restaurants and shopping

Perfect area for "suburban" living with city access

If that happens...I will kill myself >.>

Abandon shopping malls will be one of the bigger design/urban planning challenges my generation and the generation before will have to face in the coming decade or two. They present so many opportunities, but at the same time so many problems because of the shear scale of the land you are given. Especially since the immediate area is also vastly underdeveloped you get into a situation as to what exactly do you put there!? Mid-rise development doesn't really make much since because there is nothing else around it to support it....unless you decide to build a new town from scratch (which could be an option...a very interesting one I might add!). We don't need another entertainment venue as we have way to many. Theme park is out of the question because there are like two going up right now and not to mention it would be a real headache for this area. You can't build small residential as the value of those homes would plummet afterwards as a good portion of this area is still in decay and nobody builds those kinds of developments this deep into town anymore. Commercial campus?? Maybe if it was the right investor with a big brand. What I'm scared of is that it might be turned into distribution centers -.- since that is the main business of the immediate area. 

A large piece of land, mostly paved over, near the intersection of 3 freeways, central location in the metro area.  Sounds like the best use may well be for a distribution center.  Dead malls are usually in areas that are in decay so it's not really going to be that much of a challenge to figure out what to do with them.  Since the mall is an invention of the automobile age, they are frequently on or near highways and/or intersections of highways.  Those that are in decaying areas can go the distribution center route and those that are still in nice areas can be redeveloped into mixed use or indoor/outdoor retail (a la Memorial City Mall and Town & Country, now City Centre).

For years, I have often wondered what the best use of this land would be. My wishes for this space are as follows; too bad our commuter transportation is not, say 20 years, ahead of now. This would make an incredible hub for either light rail or that bullet train we keep hearing about which will connect HTown with Big D, Austin and SA. OR, a vast recreational center, ie, pools, gym, tennis and racquetball courts, rock climbing venues, etc., with a parking structure on which a 15 to 20 storey multiuse hotel/ residences would sit. But I do think it prudent to wait until construction is completed, and then perhaps present it to potential buyers as one of the few blank slates left in inner Houston.

I would assume that the best use for a parcel this size and in this location would be a large neighborhood shopping center (something like the HEB anchored center at the northwest corner of Bunker Hill and I-10).  Many former chain retail, and even restaurant moved further out 290 beyond pinemont over many years, some of which I think would be better served closer to Oak Forest, Timbergrove, etc.

I assume the main issue would be that it may have too weird of a shape for the best possible visibility and frontage.  Its kind of triangular and the best side to line front the site against is probably Hempstead, the side which faces away from all main avenues of approach.  I'm guessing that connecting up N Post Oak through the site to 18th would probably be the fix in the case of a large retail center.

Edited by JJxvi

can you say mixed-use development with transportation hub?  so much potential for this property!  rail lines nearby could easily connect to light rail through uptown and/or the rail leading downtown to the hardy rail yards.  light rail line from here down washington avenue to downtown.....many, many opportunities for a transit system pivot point.

1. adaptive reuse of existing mall structure maintaining some retail capacity (or increased)

2. integration of new and proposed suburban rail and intercity light rail lines

3. add residential (affordable) components

4. add entertainment (or public use) component(s)

i would wager that there are MANY entities peeing their pants over this location.

https://www.ted.com/talks/ellen_dunham_jones_retrofitting_suburbia  check out this ted talk on "retrofitting suburbia".  it will give you hope for the plight of malls across the country.

I think you are on to something here... it seems to be all the rage now. Mixed-Use Development, and the best part is it's location - boarders 610 Loop, is close to I-10, and (best part) has minimum interaction with Hwy 290.   

• 1 month later...

RN:  We have heard some buzz on the street about Northwest Mall.  Can you tell us anything for publication on that asset?

Levine:  Yes, we have this fifty acre project listed for sale with HFF, and are inviting offers.  TexDot took a large chunk of the parking and some of the tenants and free standing self-owned stores failed.  We are in discussion with multi-family developers, corporations for campuses, mixed use developers, and overseas investors who are looking to just ‘park money’ for five years and wait for the site to appreciate.

http://www.rednews.com/2014/11/larry-levine/

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Update from NW mall facebook page

Thank you for your interest. There are no plans to close or sell Northwest Mall. There is a lot of construction in the area which has slowed traffic to the mall significantly, however, we are still leasing. Once the construction is complete, we hope to renovate the mall.

• Like 1

Renovate!? First of all, the demand for malls is low unless you have upscale shops like the Galleria or a nice mixed use development to encourage foot traffic like Memorial City. Secondly, does this mall really think it can compete with either mall just a couple miles in either direction? They would have to basically make it heaven on earth for it to draw people. 

Edited by j_cuevas713

• 3 months later...

when I moved to Houston in 90 every store front was open.  We used to go to the Piccadilly for lunch all the time when I worked off Hollister and 290.  I live off Longpoint and wish the mall was the way it was 26 years ago.  Then I would not have to drive all the way to Willowbrook.  Despite the fact I am close to Memorial City, I don't go to that mall because its overpriced and snooty like the Galleria now.

6 hours ago, Margo Mitchell said:

when I moved to Houston in 90 every store front was open.  We used to go to the Piccadilly for lunch all the time when I worked off Hollister and 290.  I live off Longpoint and wish the mall was the way it was 26 years ago.  Then I would not have to drive all the way to Willowbrook.  Despite the fact I am close to Memorial City, I don't go to that mall because its overpriced and snooty like the Galleria now.

What? Memorial City & Willowbrook have almost the exact same stores. In fact, looking at both of their directories, Willowbrook actually has more "higher end" stores. Memorial City has a Target & Military recruitment offices. So I have no idea what you mean by overpriced and snooty.

Personally, I've been to both, and prefer Willowbrook too (but for different reasons). Apart from the Holidays I have never seen that many people in Memorial City. There are empty store fronts by the kids play area/movie theater, and it smells awful. The only way I could see Memorial City as being snooty is the area it's in. If you include the Town & Country area, City Centre, and the new highrises/restaurants, then yeah... I guess it's snooty?

The difference is Willowbrook is more suburban. The same surrounding stores/restaurants exist along 1960, a little further.

Also, the Galleria is not snooty. A majority of the shoppers are average people. Of all the times I've been (Live really close by), I have yet to be trampled by women in fur coats, followed by their assistants carrying multiple cylinder hat boxes. 

16 minutes ago, Montrose1100 said:

What? Memorial City & Willowbrook have almost the exact same stores. In fact, looking at both of their directories, Willowbrook actually has more "higher end" stores. Memorial City has a Target & Military recruitment offices. So I have no idea what you mean by overpriced and snooty.

Personally, I've been to both, and prefer Willowbrook too (but for different reasons). Apart from the Holidays I have never seen that many people in Memorial City. There are empty store fronts by the kids play area/movie theater, and it smells awful. The only way I could see Memorial City as being snooty is the area it's in. If you include the Town & Country area, City Centre, and the new highrises/restaurants, then yeah... I guess it's snooty?

The difference is Willowbrook is more suburban. The same surrounding stores/restaurants exist along 1960, a little further.

Also, the Galleria is not snooty. A majority of the shoppers are average people. Of all the times I've been (Live really close by), I have yet to be trampled by women in fur coats, followed by their assistants carrying multiple cylinder hat boxes. 

MCM is ALWAYS crowded. Parking is horrendous just like CityCentre and Town & Country. MCM is going through some type of renaissance in which it's becoming more like Galleria II.

12 minutes ago, Houston? said:

MCM is ALWAYS crowded. Parking is horrendous just like CityCentre and Town & Country. MCM is going through some type of renaissance in which it's becoming more like Galleria II.

Maybe I've been lucky to avoid the crowded days, I've only visited it on the weekends, so I'll give you that. Any mall will have horrendous parking. Even Greenspoint can make you walk for it...

MCM went through a renaissance, and now it is on par with Willowbrook (almost). Neither of which are close to the amount of visitors or stores that the Galleria has. Period.