Coog's Crossing: Mixed-Use Development At 4001 Gulf Fwy.

Scharpe St Guy

11 hours ago, Sanjorade said:

I hear we are getting closer and closer to getting something in the Lovett site on Dowling. Possible a CVS and some sort of grocer. I'm hoping for Trader Joes.

I've heard CVS and sprouts for months now, but I'll believe it when I see it.Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
2 hours ago, ljchou said:

Lovett Commercial changed the brochure from retail to a 610-unit multifamily building surrounded by a chic-fil-a and a 7/11. Some plots are now left empty, some are marked "future development".

culleni45.JPG

610 units is a lot for that site. And given the student housing immediately across Cullen and the development on Hussion St., and Lovettā€™s history, Iā€™d be willing to wager that this will be at least partially subsidized/affordable housing through the LIHTC program or similar programs.

Ā 

Just what this area needs more of. . .

• Like 1

22 hours ago, ljchou said:

Lovett Commercial changed the brochure from retail to a 610-unit multifamily building surrounded by a chic-fil-a and a 7/11. Some plots are now left empty, some are marked "future development".

Ā https://www.lovettcommercial.com/properties/houston/i-45-and-cullen (archive link)

Brochure:
https://www.lovettcommercial.com/Pdf.aspx?id=234Ā (archive link)

Ā 

FkkAbhl.jpg
(direct link to full size, non compressed image, easier to zoom in and read what's on the site map)

Ā 

Good catch @ljchou!

So, this Lovett Commercial development will be named Coogs Crossing. It will alsoĀ  be a multifamily residential with retail pads lining a portion of it.

Since this is expected to become student housing, I can see the need for a Chick-fil-A and 7-Eleven here. ThatĀ Chick-fil-A will be more convenient than the one on South Wayside and the Gulf Freeway, plus the one on the campus of University of Houston.

Also the density from the apartments, UH and the surrounding neighborhoods can support a Chick-fil-A. Outside of Texas Southern University and University ofĀ Houston,Ā  I don't think there's a freestanding Chick-fil-A in Third Ward. With this one planned right on the Third Ward boundary, this will serve the Third Ward and Riverside Terrance communities and those residing in the East End closer to downtown.

From the brochure:

Ā 

• New 500+ ( 610 )Ā unit student housing project across Cullen
  • 2020 delivery date

Ā 

Ā 

Edited by CrockpotandGravel
  • Like 4

• 1 month later...

Would much rather have an empty building than cheap student housing and trash fast-food. Hey, maybe they'll put a boost mobile in too! At least with an empty building, there was a chance the area could improve enough to attract something better. But now this garbage will have a life expectancy of 50 years or so.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 1/19/2020 at 8:16 PM, Qwertybot said:

Would much rather have an empty building than cheap student housing and trash fast-food. Hey, maybe they'll put a boost mobile in too! At least with an empty building, there was a chance the area could improve enough to attract something better. But now this garbage will have a life expectancy of 50 years or so.

this was a similar argument that the heights had for the heights walmart.

Ā 

aka, not going straight to the highest possible use for the land.

Ā 

gotta start somewhere, this will transform the area, and will lead to more development.

• Like 3

On 1/7/2020 at 2:23 PM, butterfly said:

Obviously I wish this was going to be a grocery store, but I guess this is better than a Walmart. If this site is destined for fast food restaurants,Ā my fingers are crossed for a Whataburger!Ā 

Ā 

Walmart is one of the biggest grocers in the US.Ā  And they usually have a fast food restaurant inside.Ā  That would be a win, win.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

12 hours ago, august948 said:

Ā 

Walmart is one of the biggest grocers in the US.Ā  And they usually have a fast food restaurant inside.Ā  That would be a win, win.

Ā 

but there's a Walmart 2 miles from here on Wayside, so maybe if Target wants to compete in the area this is there jam, but does Walmart build stores this close to each other?

Ā 

from a purely grocery perspective, HEB would be good too, but there's one at Gulfgate (3 miles). Kroger would be the most logical, build a new one, then close the Kombat Kroger that was styled after something out of The Shining. But then, Kroger just dumped money into that location to update it a bit, so that's a no go too.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, samagon said:

Ā 

but there's a Walmart 2 miles from here on Wayside, so maybe if Target wants to compete in the area this is there jam, but does Walmart build stores this close to each other?

Ā 

from a purely grocery perspective, HEB would be good too, but there's one at Gulfgate (3 miles). Kroger would be the most logical, build a new one, then close the Kombat Kroger that was styled after something out of The Shining. But then, Kroger just dumped money into that location to update it a bit, so that's a no go too.

Ā 

Walmart has a couple of stores that are about 3 miles apart as the crow flies on the west side of town.Ā  But with the existing Kroger, HEB, and Walmart not too far away, maybe the best use of this land is student housing after all.

• Like 2

On 1/29/2020 at 1:18 AM, S3W said:

Might be nice to have a mini bank with atm as a part of the retail. And maybe a Jasonā€™s Deli or something similar.Ā 

Perhaps with the flood of townhouses and new apartments Mandola's Deli will stay open past 6.

Ā 

Fingers crossed the multi-family apartments don't take Tuscan cues from the affordable housing units.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
On 1/26/2020 at 9:50 PM, samagon said:

this was a similar argument that the heights had for the heights walmart.

Ā 

aka, not going straight to the highest possible use for the land.

Ā 

gotta start somewhere, this will transform the area, and will lead to more development.

Ā 

Demo work is still continuing if anyone can believe it.

Ā 

Anyway, I agree with samagon. I'm actually excited because this area is finally starting to get some serious redevelopment, even if this isn't what everybody wanted. I can tell you now, UH students are going to be pretty excited for this to come in and expect a good amount of bike traffic along Cullen to come here. As a student who graduated 2014, I certainly wish this was here when I went!

• Like 7