Coog's Crossing: Mixed-Use Development At 4001 Gulf Fwy.

Scharpe St Guy

So much for the medallion marking home plate at the old 'Buffs stadium, I guess.

The plate was gone by 2008, when everything that had been on display in the Sports Museum was removed and placed into storage due to Finger's impending closure. 

15744412634_6b1f3b7216.jpg

Edited by mkultra25
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Dare we hope that a grocery store (HEB or Kroger) is included in the retail mix?

Their neighbors who are developing Gateway at Cullen say your hopes will be fulfilled. 

The area near The Gateway on Cullen is in the midst of an exciting redevelopment, with a grocery anchored retail center planned for across the street at the former Finger Warehouse property by Houston-based Lovett Commercial, and the redevelopment of the I-45 underpass that will include a new onramp to I-59 that will replace the aging Bestway Motor Inn.

Link

The replacement of the Kroger That Time Forgot may yet be at hand!

• Like 1

A Swamplot commenter says it will be another Walmart. Ehhhhh...

I'll believe it when I see it. There's one already less than 2 miles from that site.

I went through that comment section, and it still doesn't make sense. one commenter mentioned that most of the traffic in the current walmart is from across the freeway, so why exacerbate the problem by building another walmart on the same side of the freeway? 

Assuming the people shopping at walmart come from the other side of the freeway, I'd very easily believe that a walmart around 288 and 610 was in the works. Or even if they told me that walmart was taking over the palm center, I could believe that too.

Edited by samagon

well, whatever gets built there will be strictly utility, kroger, walmart, target, heb, I'd prefer heb, but you can count on a starbucks, some fast food, probably a subway. it'll be convenient for the students at UH, I'll still go to fiesta though.

whoever goes there, they'll have the closest access to roughly 15,000 housing units on UH, plus all the students that will live right across the street.

The old foley's outlet is probably the next closest and next biggest space available. although, for walking, the lockwood underpass sucks, lighting is worse than cullen, sidewalks don't exist, there's roads coming and going everywhere and no crosswalks anywhere. it's especially bad for cyclists coming east/north since there's no consistent outside lane.

On a complete other note than fingers, I'd like to see the city and UH work together to make this safer for peds and cyclists.

Edited by samagon
  • Like 3

• 4 months later...
On 6/16/2016 at 1:31 PM, Mab said:

http://www.lovettcommercial.com/pic/dwnFeatures.aspx?webid=234  

new site plan have

-one big box store 152 SF

-retail fuel station

-the site plan have SBUX (Starbucks?), RC (Raising Cane's?), and a quick service restaurant 

-15K SF retail pad

So the plan calls for a retail big box store with a retail fuel center. I don't know if this means it'll be a big oil branded station like Shell or Chevron, or if it'll be a brand tied into the big box retail. If it's the latter, Walmart has been ruled out because there's already one about 3 miles down the road. Costco, Sam's Club, Kroger, HEB, and Randall's fit the mold as big retailers who sell fuel. Perhaps it'll be a Kroger Marketplace or Costco since it's such a large store?

Did you notice the Chick-Fil-A looking QSR with the double drive-thru and umbrella covered tables below the RC and fuel station ?

The last time I checked, [Walmart] were still working toward finalizing an agreement. The rumors that Kroger or ALDI were in any way interested were incorrect. Neither has any interest whatsoever. The local HEB folks are interested, but corporate has given a solid "no" due to the store at Gulfgate. Some groups have wanted it to be a locally-owned small business. There are none that could generate the revenues to pay for it. The only viable alternative would be to keep it as is and use it for storage. 

facebook thread about Swamplot's post

The other Walmart is 2.25 miles away. Bentonville don't care, apparently. 

The walmart on wayside is always packed. So maybe they figure they can sustain two stores that close to each other.

If it is walmart, at the very least they are guaranteeing no competition will land on freeway frontage there. Never mind that isn't exactly prime freeway frontage.

Personally I don't think we need another walmart in the area, some competition would be great though.

8 hours ago, Triton said:

Uhhh... so why are we so sure this is a Walmart rather than a new Kroger?

They're basing it on the square footage of the proposed building and the shape of it, which is in line with a Walmart Supercenter. Though I don't know how reliable the sketch up is. It could be like that to throw people off for whatever reason.

• 9 months later...

Taken from NextDoor:

Update Re: EADO Grocery Store

Traci Jack from EaDo · 21m ago

Hi Neighbors, 

I received the following from Councilman Gallegos' office when I inquired about efforts to bring retail, a grocer specifically, to EADO: 

We’re fully committed to bring a quality grocery store to the area. We’ve actually had numerous discussions about the former Finger property at Cullen and 45 as a possible site. However, the only retailer that has expressed interest in the last two years – the only grocer that could make that EaDo site work, based on a number of metrics grocers use – was Walmart. In fact, we held a couple of meetings with area stakeholders, including leadership from both EaDo and Eastwood, and hoped that we could finalize a deal. Unfortunately, late last year Walmart determined the Finger site was no longer feasible. 

We are working with Lovett Commercial (owner of the Finger site) and the city’s economic development office to find another suitable grocer. Once that has been done we can look at incentives the city could offer (if necessary) to make the site more attractive. As you may know, just last month the city used federal dollars to lure HEB to a site off 288. For that deal, the city purchased the site using federal EDI (Economic Development Initiative) funds, will turn it over to the Housing Corporation and they, in turn, will sublease the land to HEB. HEB will fully fund the construction of the store. EDI funds are restricted to certain areas of town, and unfortunately Cullen at 45 is not in the EDI zone. To give you some perspective on how complex these arrangements are, the HEB deal was in the works for over two years. 

We completely agree with you, residents should not be having to drive across town to find a grocery store. We have not given up, and Councilman Gallegos is determined to bring a quality grocer to the community. 

Thanks again for the message and for your support on this matter. 

If you could like to follow-up send an email to his Chief of Staff:Daniel.Santamaria@houston.gov

• Like 2

12 hours ago, HNathoo said:

Taken from NextDoor:

Update Re: EADO Grocery Store

Traci Jack from EaDo · 21m ago

We completely agree with you, residents should not be having to drive across town to find a grocery store. We have not given up, and Councilman Gallegos is determined to bring a quality grocer to the community. 

That's a bit of an exaggeration considering there's a Kroger within half a mile of this location.

Even if you are afraid of that Kroger (and if you live in the East End, there's no reason you should be afraid of it), there's a fiesta just under 3 miles, a walmart 3 miles, or a HEB 4 and a half miles. Oh, and that Midtown randalls is also 3 miles. All well within acceptable driving distance.

Yes, that site should probably be retail, but the reason Walmart likely backed away was because there's no easy freeway access to the site, so whatever retail goes there is going to be sized for the amount of people they'll get. Sure there's university students, but they don't have huge budgets, and when they hop in their car to go somewhere they're likely going to the Kroger half a mile down the road because it's going to be cheaper.

If they don't like the selection at Kroger then they should first of all tell them what selection they would like, and second of all, they should shop there. Kroger isn't going to invest in their current property if they aren't seeing more influx of buyers. Luckily though, at least from my anecdotal evidence, that Kroger is seeing more business.

It really bothers me though that they aren't willing to acknowledge that there is the Kroger like right there, I mean, it is literally in Eastwood. The staff is always super nice, and the management team is really doing their part to keep repeat business.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, samagon said:

That's a bit of an exaggeration considering there's a Kroger within half a mile of this location.

Even if you are afraid of that Kroger (and if you live in the East End, there's no reason you should be afraid of it), 

I went to this Kroger once and got caught up in the middle of an hold-up / robbery in the store - not going again !!  As you said, there are several other options and I have used them all and like them all...

Edited by HoustonMidtown

3 hours ago, HoustonMidtown said:

I went to this Kroger once and got caught up in the middle of an hold-up / robbery in the store - not going again !!  As you said, there are several other options and I have used them all and like them all...

Being held up can happen at ANY grocery store. I was held up near the Galleria years ago. Has nothing to do with how nice a store is or how comfortable its surroundings may feel. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, HoustonMidtown said:

44 minutes ago, intencity77 said:

Being held up can happen at ANY grocery store. I was held up near the Galleria years ago. Has nothing to do with how nice a store is or how comfortable its surroundings may feel. 

to be fair, the nick-name of this Kroger is Kombat Kroger, but like you said, anyone can get caught up in the wrong place at the wrong time.

I am at this Kroger about once a week, cause it's about 1 mile from my house. They don't have everything I want, but they have everything I need: produce, milk, eggs, bread.

Edited by samagon

Non-native here, but what are the nicknames for the Krogers?  I thought Kombat Kroger was on Montrose

Montrose Kroger = ?

Cullen/Polk Kroger =?

Are there any other grocery store nicknames I should know?

1 hour ago, cspwal said:

Non-native here, but what are the nicknames for the Krogers?  I thought Kombat Kroger was on Montrose

Montrose Kroger = Disco Kroger

Cullen/Polk Kroger = Kombat Kroger

Studemont/i10 Kroger = Alumni Kroger (all recent college grads)

Are there any other grocery store nicknames I should know?

• Like 1