Coog's Crossing: Mixed-Use Development At 4001 Gulf Fwy.

Scharpe St Guy

Well I'm sorry my reporting skills are bad. I just saw the fingers sign once I got close and could see mattress mack rolling with laughter on his marble floor.

Yeah, but it's kind of a moot point anyway since Fingers closed that facility in 2012 (for good) and was finally finished off this year.

The building that burned this evening was once known as the Magnolia Glen apartments. It has been vacant for a decade or do, but last year there were plans afoot to convert it into some sort of SRO residential facility. When I drove by a few days ago, it didn't look as if any work had been started.

Well I'm sorry my reporting skills are bad.Ā 

Ā 

Your skills aren't that bad. Ā It wasn't the front building, it was immediately adjacent to Fingers, and you were navigating the Gulf Freeway. Ā Besides, it's very likely that more people know where Fingers Magnificent Furniture Center on the Gulf Freeway* is than its next door neighbor, regardless of what its name is this year.

Ā 

Ā 

*(Don't forget the appropriately stentorian tone when reading this title)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday about 9:15am I was driving north on the Gulf Freeway and noticed a motor coach parked under the canopy at the Finger's Furniture store. There were several pickup trucks nearby as well but nothing I could identify as belonging to a particular company or municipal entity. The fence is still up around the parking lot. Does anyone have information regarding what may be happening with this building? Talk about potential!

• Like 2

@Specwriter, I've seen those same coaches parked there in the mornings on my commute in. Last I knew, Frank Liu bought that property and is planning to build a bunch of townhouses. (The Finger building would be torn down, naturally.)

Ā 

http://blog.chron.com/primeproperty/2014/02/finger-furniture-parcel-of-gulf-freeway-bought-by-houston-developer/

Ā 

A private student dorm might be built across Cullen from that site.

Frank Liu bought the property earlier this year. From the Lovett commercial website looks to be redeveloping to retail, a grocery store specifically with the 156k sq ft old Fingers store as the anchor, and 3 standalone pad sites along the I-45 frontage road. If all develops according to plan and coupled with the new student apartments being developed across Cullen, this will be a HUGE game changer for Eado along with the rapidly developing UH campus nearby.

Ā 

Link to more information below, click on the pdf flyer and zoom in on the door front of the large retail site, notice the "GROCERY VESTIBULE & CART STORAGE" *fingers crossed its an HEB*

http://www.lovettcommercial.com/Detail.aspx?idwebarea=36&webid=234

Edited by 2005UHCougar
  • Like 1

Thanks for posting that link! I thought the whole property would be scraped.

Ā 

Selfishly, I'd love it if that anchor becomes one of the new-format HEBs (like the Montrose Market). That would not only make my life easier, but it would spell the doom for that Kroger on Cullen, which really needs to go.Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Link to more information below, click on the pdf flyer and zoom in on the door front of the large retail site, notice the "GROCERY VESTIBULE & CART STORAGE" *fingers crossed its an HEB*

http://www.lovettcommercial.com/Detail.aspx?idwebarea=36&webid=234

The other vestibule says GM VESTIBULE. Is it possible this could be a general merchandise/grocery store hybrid, like a Super Target, and not solely a grocery store? Coincidentally, there was a big hoopla last week on Swamplot when they announced development plans Lovett had drawn up for its nearby Harrisburg/Lockwood plot. Their plans had included a Joe V's grocery store, shops, office space, pad sites and a garage. Only to find out later that those plans had fallen through and have since been deleted from their website. So take this current Fingers plan with a grain of salt. If the Harrisburg plot is any indication, I wouldn't bet on Lovett developing the Fingers property anytime soon, though I can foresee them demo'ing everything for the time being. Edited by intencity77

Great plan for the reuse of the Fingers property. I hope to see it actually developed soon by some company. I've read so many posts about the need for updated grocery stores in the area.Ā 

Gulfgate HEB is a good ways away. I could see another one being built, especially with the UH status change/ growth and EE development.They should do it. The good thing about HEB is that they poll neighborhoods of each targeted area, to see what they want in a future store.Ā 

Gulfgate HEB is a good ways away. I could see another one being built, especially with the UH status change/ growth and EE development.They should do it. The good thing about HEB is that they poll neighborhoods of each targeted area, to see what they want in a future store.Ā 

Ā 

Well, HEB didn't poll anyone in EaDo or the close-in East End neighborhoods when they reset the merchandising of their Gulfgate store a couple of years ago! Seems like the HEB Big Bosses wanted that location to compete with nearby Sellers Bros., Fiesta and all the small Hispanic supermercados..The resulting lack of selection in every department means that many of us who live in the East End now drive to Midtown or Montrose for weekly grocery shopping.

Ā 

As far as quality produce, meat, seafood at the new Walmart on I-45@Wayside -- no thanks!

Ā 

• Like 1

The fire was at an adjacent property. Thanks to everyone for the information and input. Whatever goes in I hope the medallion, now (or previously) located in the basement on the spot of home plate for the old Buffs stadium is preserved in some form.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know why they threw that in there. It's a Wal-Mart that's going to be built in Katy. You can see the street name is Falcon Landing Blvd, and on the top half, you can barely make out Westheimer Pkwy.

Ā 

Thanks, JM. That makes me feel much better. I did see the Falcon Landing wording on the site plan and it just didn't register in my mind.

Ā 

Also, I sent you a PM on another topic.

• Like 2

Liu brings us sh&t once again. Big Box stores and pad sites! Yay!

Ā 

Are you familiar with Houston's East End and what Frank Liu's companies have built recently in the area?

Ā 

What do you think would be the best redevelopment plan for the former Finger's site?

Liu's been buying up a lot of big and small properties around the East End for years now and from what I've seen, has done absolutely nothing with the majority of the properties except sit on them and let them deteriorate or become overgrown weed lots. I'm not holding out much hope for his other big property at Harrisburg and Lockwood. Even though that particular lot calls for something mixed use or dense, since it fronts the rail line, I'm betting when it's finally developed it will be some type of crappy suburban strip.

• 4 months later...