Camden Conte: Multifamily At 1515 Austin St.

Urbannizer

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, HNathoo said:

I agree - hate seeing surface parking lots in our CBD.

I don't like surface lots either, especially the ones near the old Exxon building and the ones near the Toyota Center, nevertheless there has been a great decrease from just a few years ago.  Things are moving in the right direction. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

That is correc

6 hours ago, cspwal said:

Someone told me it's owned by a Taiwanese oil company and they aren't interested in selling or developing it

That is correct, at least that it is owned by a Taiwanese oil company and it's been common "knowledge" for many years (and it certainly appears true), that they had no interest in selling or developing. They actually owned the land (or at least most of the land) where Toyota Center and the Tundra garage sit. I don't recall if they sold willingly or if the power of eminent domain was used.

The bad news is,  they still own the block across from Toyota Center asked about above, plus a bunch more.  Point to a vacant parcel in southeastern downtown and there is a pretty good chance it is owned by this company.

2 hours ago, Houston19514 said:

That is correc

That is correct, at least that it is owned by a Taiwanese oil company and it's been common "knowledge" for many years (and it certainly appears true), that they had no interest in selling or developing. They actually owned the land (or at least most of the land) where Toyota Center and the Tundra garage sit. I don't recall if they sold willingly or if the power of eminent domain was used.

The bad news is,  they still own the block across from Toyota Center asked about above, plus a bunch more.  Point to a vacant parcel in southeastern downtown and there is a pretty good chance it is owned by this company.

What would make them sit on property!!!

Heres a 2000 WSJ article that I think was posted upthread

https://www.wsj.com/articles/SB974263917263844039

Heres a 1990 article about where the acquisition came from

https://www.upi.com/Archives/1990/04/10/Taiwan-company-to-buy-Huffington-energy-land-assets/9871639720000/

Opicoil is the Taiwanese oil company name, Golconda Ventures is the real estate arm of the company that shows up on the tax rolls.

Interestingly enough Huffington Energy is the same Huffington as Ariana Huffington and the Huffington Post.

Edited by mattyt36
  • Like 1