Camden Conte: Multifamily At 1515 Austin St.

Urbannizer

7 hours ago, BeerNut said:

I still think a UNIQLO store would be a better fit for our downtown.  

I’ll take it.  In fact, I would be happy with just about any store that sells clothing,

target?  Sure

nieman marcus?  Sure

tj Max?   Yep.

saks?  Yep.

up and down the price points, i’ll Take it.

millions have been spent on Dallas street improvements.  So far, nothing.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, cspwal said:

Seems a tad expensive

And ugly.

you may have found the ugliest and most expensive garment in the place.  That said, I think that the store is on the expensive side.  But the clothing skews “young man” and it seems that between midtown and downtown we have quite a few of them who likely also have a bit of disposable income.

Traditional non-food retail, especially large format clothing stores, is in a bad place right now. Online shopping is wreaking havoc and most companies are uneasy about building new stores. We might just have to wait a little while. I personally wonder if a Houston Center makeover (planned by Brookfield) might land some street-facing retailers before Dallas Street. There are more wallets in that area, fewer homeless, and a probably a better physical layout than the wall of parking garages on Dallas Street.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, H-Town Man said:

Traditional non-food retail, especially large format clothing stores, is in a bad place right now. Online shopping is wreaking havoc and most companies are uneasy about building new stores. We might just have to wait a little while. I personally wonder if a Houston Center makeover (planned by Brookfield) might land some street-facing retailers before Dallas Street. There are more wallets in that area, fewer homeless, and a probably a better physical layout than the wall of parking garages on Dallas Street.

You are right about retail but I know Sephora is actively looking for new locations in Houston as we speak. Dry Bar would be  great  downtown.  Target is a no brainer. Apple or Microsoft would be nice. I think pottery barn or west elm would do well for furnishing these new apartments and homes in the area. Your thoughts? 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, HOUCAJUN said:

You are right about retail but I know Sephora is actively looking for new locations in Houston as we speak. Dry Bar would be  great  downtown.  Target is a no brainer. Apple or Microsoft would be nice. I think pottery barn or west elm would do well for furnishing these new apartments and homes in the area. Your thoughts? 

My thoughts... Target would establish the neighborhood for retail and other stores could then piggyback. A retailer feels safe going into a neighborhood with an "anchor" like Target. Also Greenstreet is fortunately or unfortunately the barometer that I think other brands will use to gauge downtown. That it wasn't built in the best format or location is in the past now, it needs to do well if we want to see other stuff happen.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, H-Town Man said:

My thoughts... Target would establish the neighborhood for retail and other stores could then piggyback. A retailer feels safe going into a neighborhood with an "anchor" like Target. Also Greenstreet is fortunately or unfortunately the barometer that I think other brands will use to gauge downtown. That it wasn't built in the best format or location is in the past now, it needs to do well if we want to see other stuff happen.

With the apartments on the South Side of downtown...

camden's

skyhouses + houston

the 2 church midrises

I think this will bring alot of people to the overall population that can 'insulate' the market area for Greenstreet and other future retail. The more density, the more of a need that will be apparent.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, HOUCAJUN said:

I think all of those are very likely if the city can push for it. Wth ever happened to them announcing an anchor retailer?????

• Like 1

We need Popeyes to make a return downtown .  Or a Houston version of Brother's from Nre Orleans. Brother's is a convenience store but they have a chicken counter with good cheap food.

They need to go easy on subway. 

There are a ton of fast food joints in tunnels but I know people who have worked for years downtown who don't know that there's a Wendys and Whataburger downtown.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, j_cuevas713 said:

I think all of those are very likely if the city can push for it. Wth ever happened to them announcing an anchor retailer?????

That’s the issue.

my guess is that the city/Downtown management districts HAVE BEEN pushing for it.  My guess is that They HAVE BEEN pushing for it since BEFORE we spent millions of dollars on Dallas st —- the entire reason for its construction was NEW RETAIL.  But, Crickets.   Despite the retail-sector disruption, there ARE new retail store openings happening around the country continually.  NONE of them are in Downtown Houston.  Millions spent, zero return (so far).

If several new retail stores —- real ones which sell clothes, shoes, furniture, etc. —- don’t get announced within about 24 months, i think that the prospects of Houston ever becoming a “thriving” downtown will diminish.  A thriving downtown needs:

1) residents , (got it)

2) eateries/bars (got them in droves)

3) entertainment/arts (got it in droves)

4) real retail........ crickets.

A new pedestrian mall (on Dallas) lots of new Downtown residents and 100,000 white collar/office commuters in 1 square mile M-F and no new retail stores willing to open.  I think that says less about the retail sector and more about Houston’s ability to market itself.

If Dallas street doesn’t work, Maybe the Post Office site might be able to pull something off and get real retail and keep the retail dream alive.  

• Like 3

I wouldn't put too much into the park in the southern part of downtown. I called and found out they were hoping to procure a half or quarter block for that park.

I was hoping they could put two blocks together at least. Discovery Green has been transformational in the development of the eastern part of downtown.

Along with the relocation of the sports venues.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, CREguy13 said:

I understand the retail/thriving downtown isn't here yet, but it is coming.

I do hope you are correct and I am wrong.  But, frankly, we have all been hearing Houston talk about retail “coming” to Downtown for about a decade.  Millions of dollars have been spent to attract it.  Yet, during that time, more retail was lost than created DESPITE all the housing, hotels, and entertainment created.  

You mention new owners for Houston Center as one leg of a cure.  Perhaps you are correct, I again hope you are.   But were the old owners just stupid and not able to get retail?  Or is it something deeper?  Midway made a BIG SPLASH when they bought The Pavillions, what?, 5 years ago.  They built a hotel on previous retail space and planted some grass.  In the last 5 years have they attracted retail to the empty spots (like the old bookstore)?   No.  In fact, they lost retail with that high end women’s store closing.  Midway is a talented company.  They are not stupid.  So, if the retail is still not filled after five years, does it point to something deeper as the cause?

houston leaders have done an INREDIBLE job transforming Downtown into a place where people can live and where they and others have access to work, arts, dining, drinking, and entertainment.  An astonishing transformation in roughly a decade.  Yet, they have been unable to attract retail.  There is a point where the “it’s coming” hopefulness simply starts to ring hollow.  That time, for me, is fast approaching.  For me, others may absolutely and legitimately feel differently, Downtown either needs to get retail soon or simply stop talking about it.  Downtown is a great destination for entertainment, conventions, etc.  If retail is not here within about 24 months (again, my opinion only), after a decade, a mayoral study, and millions of dollars spent to attract it, then Houston should just “rebrand” Downtown as the FANTASIC entertainment zone that terrific leadership has envisioned and built.

Edited by UtterlyUrban
  • Like 2

I think you nailed it on the head that the city needs to stop talking about it when they have little control outside of incentive programs.  The market will dictate and 'Retail follows footsteps' will always ring true.  Prior to this cycle retailers had little reason to look at downtown for any different use than daytime office workers.  

This project, Camden Conte, tellling  investors that they will break ground Q4 2017, rather than 2020, because of market dynamics is a good sign.  If Trammell Crow and Marquette also break ground this year, as they've stated, that will be a good sign.  Unfortunately, it is a waiting game, but the market for retail will be there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CREguy13 said:

I think you nailed it on the head that the city needs to stop talking about it when they have little control outside of incentive programs.  The market will dictate and 'Retail follows footsteps' will always ring true.  Prior to this cycle retailers had little reason to look at downtown for any different use than daytime office workers.  

This project, Camden Conte, tellling  investors that they will break ground Q4 2017, rather than 2020, because of market dynamics is a good sign.  If Trammell Crow and Marquette also break ground this year, as they've stated, that will be a good sign.  Unfortunately, it is a waiting game, but the market for retail will be there.

I agree. The more residential we pump downtown, retail will follow. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, UtterlyUrban said:

That’s the issue.

my guess is that the city/Downtown management districts HAVE BEEN pushing for it.  My guess is that They HAVE BEEN pushing for it since BEFORE we spent millions of dollars on Dallas st —- the entire reason for its construction was NEW RETAIL.  But, Crickets.   Despite the retail-sector disruption, there ARE new retail store openings happening around the country continually.  NONE of them are in Downtown Houston.  Millions spent, zero return (so far).

If several new retail stores —- real ones which sell clothes, shoes, furniture, etc. —- don’t get announced within about 24 months, i think that the prospects of Houston ever becoming a “thriving” downtown will diminish.  A thriving downtown needs:

1) residents , (got it)

2) eateries/bars (got them in droves)

3) entertainment/arts (got it in droves)

4) real retail........ crickets.

A new pedestrian mall (on Dallas) lots of new Downtown residents and 100,000 white collar/office commuters in 1 square mile M-F and no new retail stores willing to open.  I think that says less about the retail sector and more about Houston’s ability to market itself.

If Dallas street doesn’t work, Maybe the Post Office site might be able to pull something off and get real retail and keep the retail dream alive.  

We don't have the residents. The only thing that will support what you want for retail is tens of thousands of more residents. Our downtown has fewer than 10k residents. Need to get to a minimum 30k+ to begin supporting the type of retail you are pushing for.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CREguy13 said:

"retail follows rooftops"

until there is a critical mass of permanent residents downtown, retail will sit on the backburner. putting some sort of arbitrary "24 month" deadline on whether retail will ever make downtown or not is silly - retail will come when the density demands it. there's no magic fairy dust we or the city can sprinkle over downtown to change that. just give it time.

• Like 7

5 hours ago, UtterlyUrban said:

You mention new owners for Houston Center as one leg of a cure.  Perhaps you are correct, I again hope you are.   But were the old owners just stupid and not able to get retail?  Or is it something deeper?  

The previous owners (JP Morgan Chase had it for awhile I think and someone else in the past ten years) were just interested in investing and then selling as the market improved. Brookfield on the other hand has expressed interest in making renovations and enhancing amenities to keep it competitive. Judging by what they've done in Allen Center, that means enhancing the street. It's no secret that millennials want an interesting streetscape and Brookfield is following that trend. But street retail in Houston Center won't happen until there are renovations, because right now there is no place to put them. You have pretty gardens in front of 1201 and 1301 McKinney that something can be done with, and The Shops at Houston Center (old Park Shops) is at 78% occupancy, which screams "Repositioning time!" It was last renovated in 2003 to be more open to the street when interest in urbanity was just beginning and I am expecting something big now. Get rid of the brick, glass it up, lose the skybridge, etc.

• Like 4