Lower Westheimer Road Construction

Public Meeting on March 14 (mark your calendars). Voice your concerns, recommendations, and thoughts :). 

"Houston Public Works will host a hybrid community meeting for this project on Tuesday, March 14, 2023 at 5:30 PM. The meeting will be held virtually and at the West Gray Multi-Service Center1475 W.Gray St, Houston, TX 77019There will be a question and answer session at the end of the presentation. Please tell your friends and neighbors to join us! Any questions and/or comments prior to this meeting can be emailed to buildforward@houstontx.gov(External link) or posted onto Engagehouston.org."

Westheimer/Elgin: Montrose to Main Paving and Drainage | Houston Public Works (engagehouston.org)

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Justin Welling said:

Public Meeting on March 14 (mark your calendars). Voice your concerns, recommendations, and thoughts :). 

"Houston Public Works will host a hybrid community meeting for this project on Tuesday, March 14, 2023 at 5:30 PM. The meeting will be held virtually and at the West Gray Multi-Service Center1475 W.Gray St, Houston, TX 77019There will be a question and answer session at the end of the presentation. Please tell your friends and neighbors to join us! Any questions and/or comments prior to this meeting can be emailed to buildforward@houstontx.gov(External link) or posted onto Engagehouston.org."

Westheimer/Elgin: Montrose to Main Paving and Drainage | Houston Public Works (engagehouston.org)

Gahh so early!! Wish they could do these on weekends or at 7pm or something...

• 4 weeks later...
8 hours ago, j_cuevas713 said:

Wait so I thought the "improvements" were happening soon and coordinated with Metro for their BOOST corridors? Is this just the long term plan for reconstruction or the same thing? Summer 2024 not including construction seems a ways off. 

This extends beyond the scope of a Boost project

1 hour ago, cspwal said:

The original Metro next plan had something called "westheimer signature service" in it. This could be part of that implementation.

Westheimer Signature Service would utilize the 59 HOV to Greenway Plaza (exiting at Edloe). 

Bus Route Improvements | METRONext Moving Forward Plan Investment | Houston, TX (ridemetro.org) (you might have to click "learn more" to see the section about signature service. 

I attended the meeting last night. The only thing that seems to be coordinated with METRO is the placement of bus stops (farside vs nearside) and the bus stop pads/shelters (I believe they are being built to BOOST standards). 

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, trymahjong said:

COH still has plans to renovated lower Westheimer. council District C Kamin says the project isn't funded but COH will seek grants from HGAC.

It's crazy to me how such a major project isn't funded yet some of the smaller local streets are. I know its not how it should be prioritized, but I already thought major streets should get priority over local/ neighborhood streets that get less traffic. Hopefully this can move forward soon. 

2 hours ago, Amlaham said:

It's crazy to me how such a major project isn't funded yet some of the smaller local streets are. I know its not how it should be prioritized, but I already thought major streets should get priority over local/ neighborhood streets that get less traffic. Hopefully this can move forward soon. 

IMO

Somekind of something happened at COH right after Hurricane Harvey-- Lower Westheimer improvements were completely paid for- a committee was set up- plans were drawn-- an animated video of what the improvements would like =>POOF after Harvey, the Lower Westheimer project is connected to rest of Westheimer and suddenly neither project has any funds...............

• Like 1

15 hours ago, mollusk said:

Is Metro kicking in some cash for this?  If not, they should considering how it's their busses that have pounded the outer lanes into something out of a war zone.

Honestly I'd say it's more likely that Metro is paying through the teeth for maintenence of Westheimer-beaten busses. The impact of the busses on the road is not insignificant, but probably pales in comparison to all of the cars that Houston-drive down it.

1 hour ago, trymahjong said:

Yes- plus I've always  why Metro purchased buses that are wider than some lanes of traffic along Westheimer.

Normal cars are wider than the lanes on Westheimer. It is kind of crazy to me to think that an agency as big as Metro would buy a bus specific for one section of one route that is slightly narrower than allowed. 

Especially when the plan is to remove that substandard sized lane. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 004n063 said:

Honestly I'd say it's more likely that Metro is paying through the teeth for maintenence of Westheimer-beaten busses. The impact of the busses on the road is not insignificant, but probably pales in comparison to all of the cars that Houston-drive down it.

https://www.insidescience.org/news/how-much-damage-do-heavy-trucks-do-our-roads

I'm sure there's some break even point between buses and cars and how much damage one does to roadways vs the other, so it's not just a simple statement that can be quickly written off.

the issue as I see it is we pay taxes, some of that goes to Metro, some of that goes to roadworks, so is the point that we should give more money to Metro so they can pay a higher percentage share of the road rebuild price? let's just see that money go straight to the roadworks.

fewer steps is fewer chances for people to line their pockets with our tax dollars.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wilcal said:

Normal cars are wider than the lanes on Westheimer. It is kind of crazy to me to think that an agency as big as Metro would buy a bus specific for one section of one route that is slightly narrower than allowed. 

Especially when the plan is to remove that substandard sized lane. 

Hmmm once that section of laser Westheimer went from 3 to 4 lanes in the 80's plus the growing ridership of that line.....then yes Metro purchasing buses that were not so wide would have sense. Who knows what positive impact Metro kicking the widest buses out for that line; could have had on traffic accidents.

I think this each time a wide Metro bus seems to nudge my car into oncoming traffic in the 700 and 800 block of Westheimer.

23 hours ago, Amlaham said:

It's honestly because of the HGAC. The majority of those that represent the region don't live in Houston or Harris Co. And it doesn't help that politically many of those same people hate Houston because it's a blue city, so they find ways to avoid funding Houston city projects and then later complain how Democrat's don't do anything. It's been this way for decades. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 2

• The title was changed to Lower Westheimer Road Construction
  • 6 months later...
On 1/31/2024 at 2:57 PM, Amlaham said:

image.png.2b56becb6f2f954c893d259f33819708.png

Westheimer watching all these streets get rebuilt while being one of the worst major streets in Houston. 

alternatively, that's the guy stuck behind the metro bus that is straddling both lanes and only going 15 MPH.

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

45 minutes ago, j_cuevas713 said:

I'm really hoping that they make Westheimer 1 lane each direction. There's no room for 2 lanes up to Woodhead. Maybe even up to Shepherd. 

And no left turns!

Edited by steve1363
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, j_cuevas713 said:

I'm really hoping that they make Westheimer 1 lane each direction. There's no room for 2 lanes up to Woodhead. Maybe even up to Shepherd. 

No maybe, Shep is the right answer.

• Like 2

The bumpy, sometimes harrowing ride along lower Westheimer could be a bit smoother by the end of the year, after transit officials agreed to commit an additional $2.3 million to make a bus project benefit more drivers.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/transportation/article/westheimer-repaving-metro-boost-corridor-18709577.php

6RiD18F.png

Edited by editor
Edited for copyright reasons. Do not copy and paste. Summarize and link.
  • Like 2

On 3/7/2024 at 3:15 PM, j_cuevas713 said:

Then where will the kids who think their Kia's are formula 1 racers go?

TELEMMGLPICT000337513896_16853890176210_

• Haha 1