Lower Westheimer Road Construction

On 7/7/2021 at 10:07 AM, j_cuevas713 said:

I don't understand why they are neglecting Westheimer. It's one of our more popular areas. The City should be prioritizing this area, especially with all the on-going development happening. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, elpigto said:

I don't understand why they are neglecting Westheimer. It's one of our more popular areas. The City should be prioritizing this area, especially with all the on-going development happening. 

Yeah I don’t get it. The good news is we have about 5 streets that will be reconstructed in some form over the next 3 years. Emancipation, Holman, Shepherd/Durham to 610, Shepherd to 59 and the rest of Buffalo Speedway to West Holcombe. 

Edited by j_cuevas713

2 minutes ago, j_cuevas713 said:

Yeah I don’t get it. The good news is we have about 5 streets that will be reconstructed in some form over the next 3 years. Emancipation, Holman, Shepherd/Durham to 610, Shepherd to 59 and the rest of Buffalo Speedway to West Holcombe. 

my guess is that they are kicking the can down the road because no one wants to take on the responsibility for having to do a mini version of the NHHIP project.

do you appease the local residents and not ED any land, make it 1 lane in each direction, and add bike lanes, beautification, and up the bus stop game?

do you appease the car commuter users and ED enough land to create enough width for 2 lanes to comfortably travel in each direction, and provide no consideration of alternative forms of transit, maybe even close off some access for residential streets to increase the flow for commuters?

2 hours ago, elpigto said:

I don't understand why they are neglecting Westheimer. It's one of our more popular areas. The City should be prioritizing this area, especially with all the on-going development 

The Renovation of Lower Westheimer  from  to Main to Montrose was 100% funded before Harvey. 100%! Somehow upperWestheimer ( Montrose to Shepherd) was attached to the project …….now both are partially funded.

No transparency on why that was done, nor any explanation given.

soooooooo why not breakup the projects and begin lower Westheimer, while looking for funding for upper Westheimer?

I guess that’s the question…..is the 100% funding for Lower Westheimer  still there?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, trymahjong said:

The Renovation of Lower Westheimer  from  to Main to Montrose was 100% funded before Harvey. 100%! Somehow upperWestheimer ( Montrose to Shepherd) was attached to the project …….now both are partially funded.

soooooooo why not breakup the projects and begin lower Westheimer, while looking for funding for upper Westheimer?

I guess that’s the question…..is the 100% funding for Lower Westheimer  still there?

I never understood that either. If Lower Westheimer is fully funded why not just get funding for Upper Westheimer later. I guess the city was really trying to tackle it all together and have the inner city part of Westheimer fully redone. My bigger problem is we're waiting for all of this money when the city has the funds to repair and maintain what is currently there. How many intersections along Lower Westheimer are caked in mud? What about basic maintenance like cleaning the debris out of the gutters and overgrown grass around lots and traffic lights. There are a few areas the city could do some sidewalk patches. If LW was given some basic TLC it would look more presentable and walkable. You're going to tell me all this time the city hasn't been able to lay down some fresh tar at least? Just seems like a bunch of bs in my opinion. I get they want to redo the entire street but in the meantime there are more things that could be done. 

Edited by j_cuevas713

I just found out some “posh” firm has been hired by ZcOH (350k I think) to “ look into

walkability” and make suggestions.  

geez would that kind of $$$ been enough for a few blocks Renovation on Upper Westheimer? In fact wouldn’t the cost of the fireworks display have renovated Upper Westheimer to Hazard…maybe further?

ugh— so maybe this is a darker side of $$$ search….put a moratorium on non essential  funding.  

Is it Pie-in-the sky to actually consider the improvement of  Montrose $#@!  Streets in Upper Westheimer be a better benefit that fireworks……? Sigh 

12 hours ago, trymahjong said:

They had to show partial funding for the project to get matching dollars from H-GAC. Funding was pulled from CIP.

10 hours ago, j_cuevas713 said:

I never understood that either. If Lower Westheimer is fully funded why not just get funding for Upper Westheimer later. I guess the city was really trying to tackle it all together and have the inner city part of Westheimer fully redone. My bigger problem is we're waiting for all of this money when the city has the funds to repair and maintain what is currently there. How many intersections along Lower Westheimer are caked in mud? What about basic maintenance like cleaning the debris out of the gutters and overgrown grass around lots and traffic lights. There are a few areas the city could do some sidewalk patches. If LW was given some basic TLC it would look more presentable and walkable. You're going to tell me all this time the city hasn't been able to lay down some fresh tar at least? Just seems like a bunch of bs in my opinion. I get they want to redo the entire street but in the meantime there are more things that could be done. 

Yeah, they should have definitely done something. Even if the H-GAC funding came through construction start wasn't until 2023. 

40 minutes ago, trymahjong said:

I just found out some “posh” firm has been hired by ZcOH (350k I think) to “ look into

walkability” and make suggestions.  

geez would that kind of $$$ been enough for a few blocks Renovation on Upper Westheimer? In fact wouldn’t the cost of the fireworks display have renovated Upper Westheimer to Hazard…maybe further?

ugh— so maybe this is a darker side of $$$ search….put a moratorium on non essential  funding.  

Is it Pie-in-the sky to actually consider the improvement of  Montrose $#@!  Streets in Upper Westheimer be a better benefit that fireworks……? Sigh 

H-GAC is going to call for projects again this fall. I would wager they would want to include this information with the application. The budget when they proposed it last time was $50 million so $350k wouldn't have gone that far.

Additional note, from the METRONext thread, they are planning on moving forward with the BOOST bus improvements along the 82 corridor, which include new ramps/curbs/bus stops/etc. Timeline is unfortunately 18 months for design and 24 for construction. 

17 hours ago, trymahjong said:

This lack of transparency bothers me lately. Take Waugh for example. For a year now on the “Build Houston Forward” website it’s been an improvement project shown as “third party funded” with very little information provided. The road just randomly starts getting ripped up just last week south of Washington with no notice. What’s being done? Who is funding it? Why this segment of road and not others that are worse. 

21 hours ago, samagon said:

do you appease the local residents and not ED any land, make it 1 lane in each direction, and add bike lanes, beautification, and up the bus stop game?

do you appease the car commuter users and ED enough land

The right lanes of lower Westheimer have been known to cure my ED….yowzah. 

• Haha 1

About Waugh improvements…..

I haven’t gotten to zoom MontroseTIRZ is a while…but if I remember correctly..

Waugh and Commonwealth  beginning at Westheimer ( at least that is what I remember)will have bike lanes, with signage and “ protection” I think that means those footballshaped road bumps. TIRZ monies we’re to be used with other funding. Improvement to existing sidewalks will take place at same time.

BTW

evenif I got it wrong about Fireworks costs.. there seems to be plenty of COH quirky/weird money spent  ( advisory committees by independent companies)that would have a better use to fund street improvements ( upper Westheimer being one)

Lastly

really, what is the reason Upper and lower Westheimer projects can’t be broken apart? 
I have asked and asked— I thought I knew some of the council members long enough and close enough that maybe, I’d get a candid answer——-NOPE! Same ole same ole answer. 

5 hours ago, trymahjong said:

About Waugh improvements…..

I haven’t gotten to zoom MontroseTIRZ is a while…but if I remember correctly..

Waugh and Commonwealth  beginning at Westheimer ( at least that is what I remember)will have bike lanes,

Correct. Though I’m talking about Waugh between Washington and Buffalo Bayou. It started getting ripped up a week ago or so. Separate project but little to no information available about it.  

16 hours ago, j_cuevas713 said:

I wonder how much money Houston will get from the Infrastructure Plan passed by Congress 

I’d like to bid $0, Bob. 

Also, it hasn’t officially passed through the Senate yet, right? Not gonna hold my breath. 

• 2 weeks later...

I know this isn’t specific to LW but does anyone have more specifics on the repaving of Westheimer from Dairy Ashford to 610? I visited a friend near the Beltway the other day and noticed they were rebuilding the sidewalks as well. The work seemed to stop closer to Chimney Rock. Does anyone know if these sidewalk repairs will go all the way to 610 as well?

Edited by j_cuevas713

• The title was changed to No Repairs For Lower Westheimer Rd.
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I didn't get to attend the big meeting last week-

sorry if someone else has already updated but are there more details about intersection of Stanford and Westheimer?  I guess there are proposed designated turn lanes, East to West  and West to East?- this will impact traffic flow?

Edited by trymahjong

3 hours ago, trymahjong said:

I didn't get to attend the big meeting last week-

sorry if someone else has already updated but are there more details about intersection of Stanford and Westheimer?  I guess there are proposed designated turn lanes, East to West  and West to East?- this will impact traffic flow?

Based on the graphic, I am assuming no car turns onto or out of Stanford. 

On 1/22/2023 at 10:55 AM, 004n063 said:

Based on the graphic, I am assuming no car turns onto or out of Stanford. 

Hmmmmm

i assume a median prevents crossing over Westheimer if you are on Stanford-I had hoped a bit of greenery on the median would help drivers take notice and not run into it.

Turning right onto Stanford in either direction shouldn't be affected....should it?

• Like 1

Hello all, I'm new to the forum but a longtime lurker. Apologies if this is not the most relevant thread, but our intersection (California and Windsor street) has dealt with drainage issues for many years, as there is outdated infrastructure at this intersection, and the water does not drain anywhere (the drainage grates are from the 1900s and don't flow anywhere, and are now completely filled with mud). Would the Montrose city meetings be the appropriate forum to raise concerns and request improvements? Is there a formalized process? We have filed multiple 311 requests that have been bounced back as requiring "major engineering work." Thank you all in advance for your help!

53 minutes ago, trymahjong said:

Hmmmmm

i assume a median prevents crossing over Westheimer if you are on Stanford-I had hoped a bit of greenery on the median would help drivers take notice and not run into it.

Turning right onto Stanford in either direction shouldn't be affected....should it?

Based on my understanding, it wouldn't be a median, but rather a modal filter on both sides.

I personally think that a median would ultimately be better because it would have a greater impact on through-speed (a problem at all Westheimer curves, it seems to me), but this is still nice for those neighborhoods.