Lower Westheimer Road Construction

• 5 months later...

I will continue to say this, Montrose's voice in city government sucks right now. It sucks because we don't have people that actually get what Montrose needs. While I like the independent nature of a lot of Montrose's neighborhoods, it also leaves the rest of the district vulnerable because if a neigbhorhood is able to secure funding and agreements with the city to upgrade there streets one by one then there isn't really a need to give funding to Montrose as a district. Montrose TIRZ for example is only the major thoroughfares and commercial areas that line them, and very few people actually live on those corridors currently. Most people live in these independent neighborhoods which flank the corridor and that is where the majority of voices are, and its where most of the tax payers are. Think about it, with all the above setup as it currently is, it stands to reason that anything Montrose TIRZ wants will be secondary to what each independent neighborhood wants. Midtown gets what they need because they can effectively talk to city government as a block. The Heights can get what they want because they can talk to the city as a block. Same with Upper Kirby. Even East End and 3rd Ward get more resources because they are able to form as a block to get what they want. Montrose doesn't approach the city in this way. This effectively leaves Montrose TIRZ to fight for itself which will put it at the back of the line. If people want this project to work then Montrose needs to start acting more like a district and not as a collection or confederation of independent neighborhoods because while neighborhoods might be able to get new streets they don't include major roads as part of there realm which will leave them out of funding.

• Like 5

When is the next bid? City Council member Abbie Kamin seemed optimistic that it would be included next go around because of the criteria change.

I feel that the reason this was scrapped for the moment is because the city is trying to prioritize areas that are in desperate need for improvements. Not saying Lower Westheimer doesn't need work, but at the moment, if property owners would simply keep the city ROW clean and maintain their sidewalks, this area can continue to thrive until those repairs are made. The city needs to put pressure on property owners to better maintain their part of the infrastructure. I don't know how long it's going to take a restaurant like Aladdin to request the city come and clean up their muddy street corner. 

Honestly if it were me, I'd like to see Washington Ave, Montrose Blvd, and Waugh get rebuilt. 

It looks like West Alabama and Durham/Shepherd are part of the improvements for this year.

Edited by j_cuevas713

@j_cuevas713

As an optimist myself its certainly possible, but I'm also a realist, so its important that we don't look at this in a naive or even a hopeful way.

By the way I want to make sure I'm clear I'm not here to attack you as a person or to discredit you, but what I am going to say should be something to think about.

1 hour ago, j_cuevas713 said:

When is the next bid? City Council member Abbie Kamin seemed optimistic that it would be included next go around because of the criteria change.

I don't know about you, but a politician seeming "optimistic" about anything doesn't exactly get anything done. They said this last time, and the time before that, and the time before that. I can't see what actions they have taken as leaders for ME to be "optimistic" about THEIR "optimism". This persons words ring hollow at this point. I'm not going to simply take this at face value, and it would be wise you don't take it at face value either.

Fine the criteria has change. How does that help? What makes this project a better candidate before than it did in the past? Again its merely words framed in a way to make sure one doesn't ask questions if they don't want to ask them. However if you are someone that asks a lot of questions, like I do, it opens a pandoras box of questions.

Its not only that, then I have to ask, well you knew the criteria before it was change and you were still unsuccessful. Do you submit even though you knew it would fail, and this was just one making themselves look like they are getting something done, and now that the criteria has changed now its covering up for your previous failures? Or is it actually something different?

I don't trust this person, I don't know this person. It would be one thing if I didn't know them, but they actually acted out what they were saying and got things done, but I'm even more skeptical and mistrustful when you add the fact I don't ever get to see this council person ever.

I feel that the reason this was scrapped for the moment is because the city is trying to prioritize areas that are in desperate need for improvements.

This. This is why it isn't getting done because people throw statements like this and sacrifice what they need for what others need, and at the same time it makes what they want neglected, and it makes them worse off. How long do we prioritize others until we feel they are sufficiently "well off" arbitrarily, so the city can focus on our community again? If ever. This moment when you step back and cede your wants and needs is the moment when others who don't care about your wants and needs, and won't think about others will just take it for themselves, and push you aside. You want better infrastructure and better roads. Fine that is something one selfishly wants, but it also benefits others greatly as well, so its really not that selfish. If its not that selfish then its something to not cede and to fight for. If you don't cede and you fight for it then you at least have a chance to win. We aren't even putting up a fight. We are let others take funding because we want to feel like we are self-righteous good people, but we are just weak, and can't stand up for ourselves.

Not saying Lower Westheimer doesn't need work, but at the moment, if property owners would simply keep the city ROW clean and maintain their sidewalks, this area can continue to thrive until those repairs are made. The city needs to put pressure on property owners to better maintain their part of the infrastructure. I don't know how long it's going to take a restaurant like Aladdin to request the city come and clean up their muddy street corner.

And then after you cede the argument to them, you then say, oh its not the cities fault its the property owners fault and they should do more. So now were going to let the city and authority figures get off scot-free, but the people that will benefit from these improvements...no we should just blame them. Do you see the contradictions here? As if us not getting funding is a direct result of property owners not being sufficiently clean operators, or pure people who are without sin in some sense is the problem for our rejection, when we know full well areas that are actually look worse get funding, so its cleanliness isn't a prerequisite for funding. The prerequisite is not backing down when you want something and pushing for it until you get it. The squeaky wheel gets the oil, as they say. We don't even let our wheels squeak because we think it will be rude until we have no more wheels because they fall off.

Honestly if it were me, I'd like to see Washington Ave, Montrose Blvd, and Waugh get rebuilt. 

It looks like West Alabama and Durham/Shepherd are part of the improvements for this year.

And here its not like you are hiding that you want this to change. Just for some reason you think its rude to ask?

The only reason why Durham/Shepherd is getting fixed is because its an important utility corridor. Thats it. Its not some virtue of helping the people. Its utility plain and simple, and that is ok, but it would be wrong...more like naive to frame it otherwise. West Alabama is taking forever. They are dragging there heels on that, and I haven't seen movement on this at all. The only movement I've seen on this is for Upper Kirby...because they actually fight for what they want, and aren't afraid of making a little bit of a ruckus to get it.

Edited by Luminare

20 minutes ago, Luminare said:

@j_cuevas713

As an optimist myself its certainly possible, but I'm also a realist, so its important that we don't look at this in a naive or even a hopeful way.

By the way I want to make sure I'm clear I'm not here to attack you as a person or to discredit you, but what I am going to say should be something to think about.

I don't know about you, but a politician seeming "optimistic" about anything doesn't exactly get any done. They said this last time, and the time before that, and the time before that. I can't see what actions they have taken as leaders for ME to be "optimistic" about THEIR "optimism". This persons words ring hollow at this point. I'm not going to simply take this at face value, and it would be wise you don't take it at face value either.

Fine the criteria has change. How does that help? What makes this project a better candidate before than it did in the past? Again its merely words framed in a way to make sure one doesn't ask questions if they don't want to ask them. However if you are someone that asks a lot of questions, like I do, it opens a pandoras box of questions.

Its not only that, then I have to ask, well you knew the criteria before it was change and you were still unsuccessful. Do you submit even though you knew it would fail, and this was just one making themselves look like they are getting something done, and now that the criteria has changed now its covering up for your previous failures? Or is it actually something different?

I don't trust this person, I don't know this person. It would be one thing if I didn't know them, but they actually acted out what they were saying and got things done, but I'm even more skeptical and mistrustful when you add the fact I don't ever get to see this council person ever.

This. This is why it isn't getting done because people throw statements like this and sacrifice what they need for what others need, and at the same time it makes what they want neglected, and it makes them worse off. How long do we prioritize others until we feel they are sufficiently "well off" arbitrarily, so the city can focus on our community again? If ever. This moment when you step back and cede your wants and needs is the moment when others who don't care about your wants and needs, and won't think about others will just take it for themselves, and push you aside. You want better infrastructure and better roads. Fine that is something one selfishly wants, but it also benefits others greatly as well, so its really not that selfish. If its not that selfish then its something to not cede and to fight for. If you don't cede and you fight for it then you at least have a chance to win. We aren't even putting up a fight. We are let others take funding because we want to feel like we are self-righteous good people, but we are just weak, and can't stand up for ourselves.

And then after you cede the argument to them, you then say, oh its not the cities fault its the property owners fault and they should do more. So now were going to let the city and authority figures get off scot-free, but the people that will benefit from these improvements...no we should just blame them. Do you see the contradictions here? As if us not getting funding is a direct result of property owners not being sufficiently clean operators, or pure people who are without sin in some sense is the problem for our rejection, when we know full well areas that are actually look worse get funding, so its cleanliness isn't a prerequisite for funding. The prerequisite is not backing down when you want something and pushing for it until you get it. The squeaky wheel gets the oil, as they say. We don't even let our wheels squeak because we think it will be rude until we have no more wheels because they fall off.

And here its not like you are hiding that you want this to change. Just for some reason you think its rude to ask?

The only reason why Durham/Shepherd is getting fixed is because its an important utility corridor. Thats it. Its not some virtue of helping the people. Its utility plain and simple, and that is ok, but it would be wrong...more like naive to frame it otherwise. West Alabama is taking forever. They are dragging there heels on that, and I haven't seen movement on this at all. The only movement I've seen on this is for Upper Kirby...because they actually fight for what they want, and aren't afraid of making a little bit of a ruckus to get it.

Ok Luminaire lol

You act as if I haven't heard the same thing over and over by local authorities regarding reconstruction on multiple major thoroughfares. Regardless the current situation, we can't act as though this city didn't decide to use a pay as you go system to prevent added debt. Nobody is putting blame on property owners. The problem is they aren't held accountable enough by the city to maintain the city ROW. So both parties are to blame. We all want these projects to get done, and they would have been done a long time ago at the cost of added debt. I'm not being "optimistic", I'm making the point that based off of all the construction and infrastructure improvements over the last decade, one can only assume that this isn't just some bullshit attempt to shut everyone up. Clearly the city is understanding the need for upgrading it's infrastructure. I'll bet anything the city knows how important Lower Westheimer is to the overall grand scheme of things. You're making the assumption that because Durham and Shepherd are utility based that that is the only reason for repairs. The city is using that as an opportunity to upgrade other existing infrastructure. That's what I meant by current NEED. Lower Westheimer isn't in so much disarray that basic maintenance by property owners wouldn't help. There is simply no accountability for property owners to do their part. Nobody is pointing the finger and tying to be an asshole. 

Edited by j_cuevas713

There are vast swathes of Houston that need repairs before Montrose does. Take a drive into the Fifth Ward North of I-10, or Kashmere, or any other lower SES area. They all need help before Montrose does, as they have been ignored forever. Yes, Lower Westheimer needs work, but it's not as other streets around town, and doesn't have the flooding issues nearly as bad.

• Like 7

6 hours ago, Ross said:

There are vast swathes of Houston that need repairs before Montrose does. Take a drive into the Fifth Ward North of I-10, or Kashmere, or any other lower SES area. They all need help before Montrose does, as they have been ignored forever. Yes, Lower Westheimer needs work, but it's not as other streets around town, and doesn't have the flooding issues nearly as bad.

Def agree with that. 

• Like 4

• 2 months later...
13 hours ago, Triton said:

Can they at least repave the damn thing?

Repave it and clean up sidewalk areas that are covered in mud or brush. I think for the most part it's very walkable where it's at. My fear is that this never truly get's funded. River Oaks seems to be ahead of everyone in terms of reconstruction of all of it's streets. 

• Like 1

On 8/27/2020 at 12:12 PM, j_cuevas713 said:

A little birdy told me finding funding for Lower Westheimer is not looking good. 

Perhaps a more accurate appraisal of the situation: Prior to Hurricane Harvey the renovations to lower Westheimer were completely funded. After Harvey lower Westheimer was attached to proposed renovations of Upper Westheimer, which had no funding. The “ready to go money” was most probably used in connection with Harvey repairs leaving the lower and Upper Westheimer renovations as “ partially” funded on paper but “ actually” no money to proceed.

• Sad 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/28/2020 at 4:38 PM, trymahjong said:

Perhaps a more accurate appraisal of the situation: Prior to Hurricane Harvey the renovations to lower Westheimer were completely funded. After Harvey lower Westheimer was attached to proposed renovations of Upper Westheimer, which had no funding. The “ready to go money” was most probably used in connection with Harvey repairs leaving the lower and Upper Westheimer renovations as “ partially” funded on paper but “ actually” no money to proceed.

You're leaving the HGAC component out of this. They applied for HGAC funds, which require matching funds from the applicant. I honestly got the feeling that they only scheduled CIP funds for the lower Westheimer portion of the project to try to get the HGAC grant, and when that failed they decided to pull all funding and reallocate. They (I think Kamin?) said that they would be applying for HGAC funds again in the next round. 

You have a point.

However, the fully funded CIP  (redo Westheimer from Main to Montrose) to partially funded (Montrose to Shepherd) all happened before Kamin was elected. The fully funded part was in place just before Hurricane  Harvey..... that those funds were Probably redirected towards Harvey rebuild, is my personal speculation. 

3 hours ago, trymahjong said:

You have a point.

However, the fully funded CIP  (redo Westheimer from Main to Montrose) to partially funded (Montrose to Shepherd) all happened before Kamin was elected. The fully funded part was in place just before Hurricane  Harvey..... that those funds were Probably redirected towards Harvey rebuild, is my personal speculation. 

I'm just saying that Kamin said recently that they would be applying again for the HGAC funds during the next call for projects whenever that happened. 

HGAC call for project when they were rejected started in 2018, so they had to have funds allocated from before that.

And yes, Harvey rebuild may have been part of it: that's what happened to the W. Alabama funds.  

• 3 months later...

I have a feeling that with the HUGE projects building on Westheimer at Montrose (both the northeast side and the southwest side) the sidewalks will be improved there so then it will just carry on down lower Westheimer...streets and sidewalks. (*crossing fingers*)

I have tried to ride my bike on the sidewalks of lower Westheimer and omg.....................haha!

I am excited about the new projects to come and hopefully everything else will fall in line soon enough! 

• Like 3

• 4 months later...

In submissions to the House Transportation and Infrastructure Committee, local representatives identified 11 other priority transportation projects, including various bus and sidewalk improvements along Westheimer...

Sounds like they are trying to get federal funding under Biden's Infrastructure Plan... let's hope this thing passes.

• Like 4

On 1/5/2021 at 1:32 PM, gene said:

I have tried to ride my bike on the sidewalks of lower Westheimer and omg.....................haha!

The lower Westheimer sidewalks are being set up as mountain bike trails....it's all part of the bike plan...😜

boy-jump-off-the-wall-picture-id13940418

• Haha 5

3 hours ago, Triton said:

In submissions to the House Transportation and Infrastructure Committee, local representatives identified 11 other priority transportation projects, including various bus and sidewalk improvements along Westheimer...

Sounds like they are trying to get federal funding under Biden's Infrastructure Plan... let's hope this thing passes.

Bumping from previous page.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Triton said:

Bumping from previous page.

Good call, I missed that.

Unfortunately,  it appears that this is just for the upgraded BOOST bus service and not for reconstruction of the road itself. 

The Westheimer BOOST Project consists of bus stop enhancements, new bus shelters, improved passenger information, and easier boarding platforms and safe all-door access for the 82 Westheimer bus route.  

• 1 month later...
On 7/7/2021 at 10:07 AM, j_cuevas713 said:

Sigh. Maybe the city should just sell the road to developers then use the proceeds to rebuild something else. Two holes, one pot. 🤔🤭