Lower Westheimer Road Construction

On 4/25/2017 at 3:49 PM, gene said:

it doesnt matter if they are 8 or 10 feet wide....most seem to drive like they are 15 fee wide and take up two lanes OFTEN...especially at the curve etc...

i hate that they do that so i always try to steer clear of any buses on westheimer! 

I think part of the reason is that they, the bus drivers, are trying to maneuver over the cracked and potholed outer lanes on lower Westheimer. They also tend to drive a little too fast for that stretch of road. Once Westheimer goes to two lanes and the road is repaired (and instruct the drivers to slow down at curves), things will improve vastly!

Edited by dguet
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, dguet said:

That has to be the worst computer graphics presentation that I have seen in a very long time.  The 1990s are back on your Pentium PC.   Literally the "car" drives through tree branches at 20' and otherwise spends the entire time driving down the wrong side of the street.  Really.  Quite.  Miserable.

On 5/14/2017 at 4:20 PM, UtterlyUrban said:

That has to be the worst computer graphics presentation that I have seen in a very long time.  The 1990s are back on your Pentium PC.   Literally the "car" drives through tree branches at 20' and otherwise spends the entire time driving down the wrong side of the street.  Really.  Quite.  Miserable.

It's just a rough animatic. What were you expecting Pixar?

Edited by j_cuevas713

On 5/14/2017 at 4:20 PM, UtterlyUrban said:

Drivers through tree branches? Driving down the wrong side of the road? Must be playing GTA.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Deadline for public input is May 31--

www.lowerwestheimerstudy.org

seems a lot of discussion on MontroseNextDoor site with worries over 4 lanes reduced to 2.

In my neighborhood metered street parking on Westheimer in front of Numbers gets gets residents angry but the idea of using that space for planters and cafe tables and chairs gets them laughing.

biggest thing I guess is that money that is available is only for basic improvements-- none of the pretty stuff like planters or lights.

The lighting part I guess could be configured by Centerpoint to add lower lights to existing light poles as has been done downtown......but will Centerpoint do it? I hope so-- from the PIP stats 2017  spring two rapes have occurred in 400 block Westheimer. Extra lighting might be a good thing to try.

• Like 1

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/opinion/editorials/article/Changing-streets-11177181.php

Great article on the rebuild of Lower Westheimer. What I don't understand is West Alabama was expected to start reconstruction in late 2016, already fully funded, and nothing has happened yet. And with these new designs for Lower Westheimer, my concern is when are any of these actually going to begin? Both are fully funded and so I don't understand the delay or lack of urgency from the city or local TIRZ districts. From the article, "For too long, the city has lagged behind private developers in building cityscapes at the scale of a person." With all the new development happening around us, the thing that's keeping many of these new developments from flowing together is better infrastructure. Does anyone have any additional info on this?

Edited by j_cuevas713
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, j_cuevas713 said:

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/opinion/editorials/article/Changing-streets-11177181.php

Great article on the rebuild of Lower Westheimer. What I don't understand is West Alabama was expected to start reconstruction in late 2016, already fully funded, and nothing has happened yet. And with these new designs for Lower Westheimer, my concern is when are any of these actually going to begin? Both are fully funded and so I don't understand the delay or lack of urgency from the city or local TIRZ districts. From the article, "For too long, the city has lagged behind private developers in building cityscapes at the scale of a person." With all the new development happening around us, the thing that's keeping many of these new developments from flowing together is better infrastructure. Does anyone have any additional info on this?

I think only the portion of Alabama between Weslayan and Buffalo Speedway was ever expected to start construction in 2016.  May I ask your source for the claim that both the West Alabama and Lower Westheimer projects are fully funded?

1 hour ago, Houston19514 said:

I think only the portion of Alabama between Weslayan and Buffalo Speedway was ever expected to start construction in 2016.  May I ask your source for the claim that both the West Alabama and Lower Westheimer projects are fully funded?

Rebuild Houston website 

37 minutes ago, j_cuevas713 said:

Rebuild Houston website 

Could you be more specific?  Maybe a link?  I can't find anything on the Rebuild Houston website that suggests that either project is fully funded.

I do find that the first portion of Lower Westheimer (Montrose to Main) is supposed to start construction in 2020. The construction schedule for the Shepherd to Montrose portion is TBD.  Planning is ongoing for both segments, with design of the first segment expected to begin this year.

There appear to be appropriations targeted to the West Alabama project (from Spur 527 to Shepherd) for Fiscal Year 2021.

21 hours ago, Houston19514 said:

When COH presented the first results of lower Westheimer traffic study to Neartown it was stated that improvements would be funded by CIP that has the money designated for that. This could be why the study was limited in focus to strip of Westheimer from Main to Montrose, knowing that the Midtown Management District along with Midtown TIRZ had previously improved Elgin from Main to Bagby with better sidewalk, planters etc so little needed to be done to that section could be why it is labeled "lower Westheimer" instead of "Elgin Westheimer" these CIP projects really take a long long time so the CIP funds could have been designated years ago for this project. 

As a side note in the 12 years I've lived in Avondale, I've observed their Civic associate put forward CIP projects each year-- -- sending representatives to all associated COH meetings--- but none were ever granted. The lower Westheimer project is within Avondale, long time residents tell me, no City improvement was ever done within their memory.

about funding for Alabama improvements.... I have no information.

Edited by trymahjong
  • Like 1

• 10 months later...
32 minutes ago, Triton said:

With it being nearly 11 months later, how much closer are we to actual construction on Westheimer in this area?

For that matter, when will the construction on Elgin between Main and Bagby be completed? 
Seems like the only thing worse than the COH not starting a project is the COH starting a project. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, dbigtex56 said:

For that matter, when will the construction on Elgin between Main and Bagby be completed? 
Seems like the only thing worse than the COH not starting a project is the COH starting a project. 

As someone who doesn't live in the area, it hasn't felt that long for the Elgin construction... maybe 5 months so far? I do admit, the traffic has come to a crawl in the area though. I try to avoid that now two laned area at all costs.

11 minutes ago, Triton said:

As someone who doesn't live in the area, it hasn't felt that long for the Elgin construction... maybe 5 months so far? I do admit, the traffic has come to a crawl in the area though. I try to avoid that now two laned area at all costs.

I honestly don't know how long it's been, but would have guessed far longer than five months. Years, maybe?
For those who endure riding the 82 Westheimer from downtown/midtown, it seems like it's been an eternity. 
Granted, the logistics of replacing infrastructure directly adjacent to the new buildings being constructed on those blocks must be daunting. I hope the renovations on Westheimer can progress at a more rapid pace.

3 hours ago, dbigtex56 said:

I live in Westmoreland, and I'm basically surrounded by construction with Elgin and W Alabama being torn up and now Tuam@Bagby being torn up. None of it looks close to being done. I'm assuming it's all sewer work.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, roadrunner said:

Does anyone know if this project contemplates burying the power lines?

Nope. Neither the City, nor Centerpoint, are willing to spend the money it takes to do that, especially given the minimal overall benefit. 

Given how well the River Oaks portion of Westheimer turned out, it would be nice to string together a stretch all the way from Midtown to the Galleria without power line clutter.

Does anyone have insight on when this project would start?  Is it approved and funded?

1 hour ago, j_cuevas713 said:

Once Westheimer is finished, the ability to walk from one end of the city to the other will be awesome!

Gosh, I could've sworn there was this entire city east of downtown (beyond where Westheimer ends), a bit worse for the wear looking, but it seemed to stretch almost the way out to Baytown. I guess it must have been my imagination.

The westbound lanes of Elgin between Travis and Bagby are finally open. However, some of the eastbound traffic has been routed onto one of them. 
The bottleneck isn't quite as bad, but it's still there.