Lower Westheimer Road Construction

I'd say that Richmond Ave. is "torn up" to say the least from Kirby to the Spur.  Not just Montrose. 

Westheimer is really bad as well. 

I agree--

But Cohen was hosting the CIP for her district C-- not sure it goes to the loop.

Avondale  was trying to be gripe specific during that meeting ;) 

I'd say that Richmond Ave. is "torn up" to say the least from Kirby to the Spur.  Not just Montrose. 

Westheimer is really bad as well. 

W. Alabama is bad too. The drought really took it's toll. The road sank, but the manholes didn't.

W. Alabama is bad too. The drought really took it's toll. The road sank, but the manholes didn't.

Yeah there is one gigantic crater like that on Richmond near Talk of the Town. I swerved around the avoid it. Lower Westheimer is crap, and even crappier if you are in the more narrow right line doing all of those turns. If I'm relatively alone and no one is trying to go around me, I cheat on the lanes.

• 4 weeks later...

They need to call the Mayor's office period. Mayor Parker continues to ignore infrastructure. She promised roads would be maintained better if the drainage fee was passed. She promised none of this money would be used to pay salaries. She lied on both counts. 25% of the drainage fee is being used to pay salaries and road maintenance has declined under her administration. Her opponent is already taking advantage of this obvious failure and has been notifying neighborhood leaders.

Edited by musicman

I voted NO on the drainage fee mostly for the reasons you stated. The rules for how the collected money was to be spent were far too vague. The voters of Houston basically just agreed to fork over cash with very little stipulations. It was the only proposition I voted no on.

KHOU's broadcast asked for pictures of potholes to be sent to their website-- I am way ahead of that-- I've been using my trusty 3-1-1 app to take pictures and ask for repairs for potholes near my house for a month now-- I will begin to forward those pictures to KHOU-- who knows what might happen.

KHOU's broadcast asked for pictures of potholes to be sent to their website-- I am way ahead of that-- I've been using my trusty 3-1-1 app to take pictures and ask for repairs for potholes near my house for a month now-- I will begin to forward those pictures to KHOU-- who knows what might happen.

and has the city fixed your complaints after a month?

and has the city fixed your complaints after a month?

weeeeeeellllllllllllllll not quite. . . . . . .

do get a quick automated response from my 3-1-1 app that my complaint has been received and a "unique" number has been attached that I can "reference" if I have any questions. . . . . . .

I have to admit that I have joined others in my neighborhood ( keeping a journal of all the crappy potholes we have reported with those unique reference numbers duly noted) we actually do follow  call 3-1-1 (all of us) and give those reference numbers and ask if any process has taken place. . . . . . . we're still unsure if this tactic works. 

weeeeeeellllllllllllllll not quite. . . . . . .

do get a quick automated response from my 3-1-1 app that my complaint has been received and a "unique" number has been attached that I can "reference" if I have any questions. . . . . . .

lol....typical of this administration and is quite frankly unacceptable.

I have to admit that I have joined others in my neighborhood ( keeping a journal of all the crappy potholes we have reported with those unique reference numbers duly noted) we actually do follow  call 3-1-1 (all of us) and give those reference numbers and ask if any process has taken place. . . . . . . we're still unsure if this tactic works. 

keeping a journal is not the answer, send your complaints (with your photos) directly to the mayor's office and your councilmember's staff so that they know they are NOT being addressed. after i did this, my complaints were addressed. also send to jessica.michan@houstontx.gov, who is on parker's staff.

311 is a complete waste of time if you are dealing with potholes.

Edited by musicman

lol....typical of this administration and is quite frankly unacceptable.keeping a journal is not the answer, send your complaints (with your photos) directly to the mayor's office and your councilmember's staff so that they know they are NOT being addressed. after i did this, my complaints were addressed. also send to jessica.michan@houstontx.gov, who is on parker's staff.

311 is a complete waste of time if you are dealing with potholes.

thanks for this info--

there is a pothole in front of the bus stop by Aladdins  at Westheimer and Montrose that I think could break a cars axel--that's one I'd like to get fixed.

thanks for this info--

there is a pothole in front of the bus stop by Aladdins  at Westheimer and Montrose that I think could break a cars axel--that's one I'd like to get fixed.

make sure and specifically state it is in front of bus stop. the city won't fix it because they'll make METRO fix it.

Back in '99 or '00, during the Brown administration, I remember a lady being so frustrated by the inaction on a water main leak that had caused a huge pothole in front of her house that she named it "Lake Lee Brown" and got it on the news. The city took notice and fixed it. Maybe we need some "Lake Parkers" or "Parker Canyons" on the news.

• 3 months later...

I had just about given up that anything would move the lower Montrose streets toward the top of the COH list of streets to be repairs but got this email from the Avondale group (which sends members to observe and report on special meetings that impact Avondale)  

>. . .  important points came out at the Montrose Mgmt (MMD) meeting today.
>
>  Due to the high volume of 311 complaints filed for Westheimer and Montrose streets, the city public works are considering raising the priority of lower Westheimer and Montrose in the CIP. The Chairman of MMD expressed optimism that these streets will be included early; but, its not a done deal.
>

Then I got this email on the same thread:

The Management District has been a justified critic of the current CIP black box priority spending from the onset. THe MD voiced its concern in the CIP roll out meeting after having done a comprehensive street by street analysis within Montrose that was ignored by the City. See their article:
http://montrosedistrict.org/streets-of-montrose-why-3-1-1-is-not-like-american-idol/
        on CIP meeting and 311 program.

• 7 months later...

Richmond Avenue is largely a mess. I can't remember where it was, but I remember a pothole right near the curb that you could see where people were practically jumping onto the sidewalk to avoid it.

Someone more familiar with the area could probably tell me where I'm talking about.

Richmond Avenue is largely a mess. I can't remember where it was, but I remember a pothole right near the curb that you could see where people were practically jumping onto the sidewalk to avoid it.

Someone more familiar with the area could probably tell me where I'm talking about.

Irony is rail down Richmond would rebuild the road.

Irony is rail down Richmond would rebuild the road.

This may come as a shock to you, but repairing the road would be cheaper than installing light rail down it.

Regarding Bellaire, I understand the time it takes it rebuild it (2 years for a widening and rebuild isn't too unusual, I remember the extensive widening Texas Avenue in College Station went through a few years back) but they at least maintained a turning lane.

This may come as a shock to you, but repairing the road would be cheaper than installing light rail down it.

Regarding Bellaire, I understand the time it takes it rebuild it (2 years for a widening and rebuild isn't too unusual, I remember the extensive widening Texas Avenue in College Station went through a few years back) but they at least maintained a turning lane.

If Richmond was repaired it would be a complete street, with more room for parallel parking, pedestrians, bikers. Not sure what the businesses would think about that.

If Richmond was repaired it would be a complete street, with more room for parallel parking, pedestrians, bikers. Not sure what the businesses would think about that.

"Complete streets" don't necessarily have parallel parking. I could imagine a scenario if a bike lane was installed at the expense of a lane (and making a larger median) or thinning of the median for a bike lane...but either way, as interesting as "complete streets" are, it shouldn't hijack much needed repairs of existing roads. If that's really the case (which I hope it isn't), the sorry conditions of the road are what the voters got.

"Complete streets" don't necessarily have parallel parking. I could imagine a scenario if a bike lane was installed at the expense of a lane (and making a larger median) or thinning of the median for a bike lane...but either way, as interesting as "complete streets" are, it shouldn't hijack much needed repairs of existing roads. If that's really the case (which I hope it isn't), the sorry conditions of the road are what the voters got.

We don't have enough money to repair the roads because taxes are not high enough. Complete Streets just means taking all types of road users into account when designing new roads or renovations of roads.

Complete streets do necessarily have parallel parking actually. Hijacking repairs? Those repairs will never happen.